Star Trek: The Next Generation in HD (part2)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MilesSmiles, May 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I've enjoyed rewatching TNG as the BD sets have come out. So I'll be anxiously awaiting season 7 but I'll also be upset when it's over.

2. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I can't believe this thread is AWOL since September. Just today I happened on the fact that STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION SEASON 7 is out now. Today was release day. Usually, I'm reading stuff all over the Internet that this store has this price, and if you stand on your head while whistling, you can get a bonus tribble at Wal-get, but only the first five customers.

I've read NONE of that kind of hype - maybe I just missed it - but even here the thread had died. Is no-one excited about the final season in Blu-ray?

Anyway, I just stumbled on Amazon's price of $57.99 and ordered it. It must've been a price-match deal with someone.

Harry

benjaminhuf and DeeThomaz like this.
  3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I think the excitement was at maximum when when the initial word got out that TNG would be remastered in HD and when the first season disks came out (I wish they would redo S1 & S2 as the some of the quality is...questionable). So, this is the last season which is great, but expected.

I'd be much more excited if they announced that they were doing DS9 next. But, I doubt that the profit equation will make it happen, as it's a lot harder (much more work) to do than TNG.

4. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

I think it's ending more with a whimper than a bang. The 7th season, overall, is one of the weakest. It does end with a great double length episode that really is like a movie, but before then we have some pretty weak spots. And now that it seems clear that CBS is abandoning Trek in HD after this release, some air is going out of the balloon. But, all that having been said, we did get our S7 set from amzn today. But since our son who is away at college is a big fan, we're going to try to wait till he gets back to watch it.

5. Received my Season 7 box set today from Amazon too...will be busy going through that along with blu-rays for the 2014 World Series & "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington"(1939)...:winkgrin:

benjaminhuf likes this.
  6. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

:realmad:Hope that next year "The Full Journey" will be released on BluRay. So there won't be DS9 on BluRay???

7. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

DS9 and Voyager aren't happening in HD--at least as far as we can tell. Insiders have said it's the end of the line with this release.

8. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

I heard that, too. So I got Voyager and DS9 DVD box sets (Full Journey) for 45,-€ each from amazon two months ago. But BR would be better of course...

benjaminhuf likes this.
  9. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

We had been watching DS9 on our DVDs last year, getting up to near the end of Season Five. At that point, we started up a year of free Netflix that gave us access to ENTERPRISE for the first time in a while (other than my old VHS tapes). So, after a year of ENTERPRISE and some other series, mostly in HD, the year ended and we decided to go back to DS9.

After having seen ENTERPRISE in some sort of HD, and the Blu-rays of NEXT GENERATION sprinkled in - and I thought that DS9 would be a really big drop in quality and hard to watch. Boy was I wrong.

Yes, the problems with the DVDs are still there - noise reduction that freezes facial bumps and wrinkles while the face moves, particularly in dark scenes - but overall, these are still pretty decent to watch. As a few episodes played out, I thought about the stories that DS9 and VOY probably wouldn't get the High Def treatment, and that I think I can live with that. Given how decent it looks to me on DVD, I'm not sure I'd spring for Blu-rays at this point. Maybe it's better that they put it off until either technology makes a high-def conversion easier, or until some sort of nostalgic wave causes them to want to do it.

My TNG set is due to arrive tomorrow. There were a few pretty good episodes in Season 7 that I'm looking forward to - and some clunkers as well. I hate that "Masks" thing - always have, but enjoy episodes like "Parallels" and "The Pegasus" and "Lower Decks". The finale, "All Good Things" is about as good as STAR TREK gets.

Harry

10. BARGAIN ALERT!!! Just found the region-free UK blu-ray box set of the COMPLETE "Next Generation" at Amazon's UK website selling for $186.64 including shipping to the US...anybody who's been wanting to get all 176 episodes in a single purchase, this is just over $1/episode!!!:thumbsup:

wayne66 and marblesmike like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.