Star Trek: The Next Generation in HD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think if you come to a sudden stop while traveling 6 times the speed of light, seatbelts ain't gonna help in a starship.

There's still no seatbelts in most American buses, either. Last time I rode Amtrak, there weren't any on the trains, too. They do put them in airplanes, but again, if you fly into a building at 300MPH, it won't help much.

2. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

OK...Just watched the first show on the sampler "Encounters At Farpoint.
    My impressions are that its an excellent transfer, clean as a whistle, color very nice.
    The recreated Special effects were very well done.

I give the production staff a lot of credit. This was done right!!

coffeetime likes this.
  3. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Wow - it's been over two pages since anyone's mentioned the actual subject of the thread...:sigh:

Harry

4. GregM

GregM The expanding man

5. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Blu-Ray

Well, so far, I'm VERY impressed at the audio and video on this Blu-Ray.

I'm playing it on an Oppo BDP-83 and a Toshiba 720p TV.

I'm watching this last night and I really cant see why anyone would complain about it (as i have seen some do in these forums). Its excellent.

2nd episode on the Blu-ray gets played tonight.

6. It's all four "Next Generation" feature films plus a bonus disc featuring William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, Patrick Stewart and Jonathan Frakes participating in a "Star Trek" roundtable panel with Whoopi Goldberg("Guinan" in "TNG"). The video and audio quality of all four films is stellar and the discussion is quite lively!!!:edthumbs:

7. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

I would disagree that the quality of the films is "stellar". "Better than the DVDs" is even questionable because of the ridiculous amount of digital noise reduction used on that set. It's not as awful as the DNR on the original 6 films but it's still pretty bad.

There will be a "remastered" Star Trek film collection to solve this problem at some point and bring in more money, mark my words.

8. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

My understanding is that ST-II doesn't suffer from the DNR that the others have because it was actually a "recent" transfer (relative to the other films at the time of the set's release). When TWOK was done, they were already backing off the use of heavy handed DNR. The others in the set were done several years earlier. I personally never got any of the Trek films on BD.

Although I'm hoping to get the TNG sampler soon (just to bring this back on topic...)

9. Classicolin

Classicolin ‘60s/‘70s Rock Fanatic/Crown Kingdom Guitarist

It seems like they're doing a better job with the newer effects for TNG, more just slightly revising them to look better rather than completely overhauling them like with TOS. For the TOS remastered versions, the quality really varies. I LOVE what they did with "The Carbomite Maneuver", "Where No Man Has Gone Before", "Errand of Mercy", and "Tomorrow is Yesterday" especially (the original effects for the Enterprise on Earth in the original version were AWFUL).

However, I actually like the original look of the planets and the Enterprise in the intro/circling the planets, for the large majority. They made too many of the planets look too much like Earth, when they were totally different colors in the original versions.

10. ricks

ricks Senior Member

The actors look like wax museum pieces. A text book on what NOT to do with blu-ray. Star Trek II blu-ray is nowhere near as bad as III and IV.

11. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

Some recent updates from Trekcore:

http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/#sotffound

1. Apparently, the missing footage from 'Sins of The Father' has been found. No official confirmation yet.

2. Some info on the UK pricing and a release date have surfaced. Amazon UK lists a July 23rd launch, and Sainsbury (a UK retailer) list a price of 50.99 GBP. No word on how this will correspond to US plans, yet.

3. A couple new screenshots (and their original DVD counterparts). You should be able to guess which is which.

Attached Files:

12. The missing footage from "Sins Of The Father" HAS been located, according to an article posted today on Entertainment Weekly's website...more importantly, the complete Season One on blu-ray has been announced for release on July 24th by CBS in the same article!!!:cheers:

13. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Excellent!! :)

14. His Masters Vice

His Masters Vice W.C. Fields Forever

CELEBRATING ITS 25TH ANNIVERSARY, LEGENDARY SERIES
    MAKES ITS FULL-SEASON BLU-RAY™ DEBUT

STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION
    THE FIRST SEASON BLU-RAY

New High-Definition Transfer With Staggering Before/After Results Boasts
    Exclusive Special Features Including Never-Before-Seen Archival Footage,
    Brand New Interviews With Key Players, Gag Reel And More!

Available July 24, 2012

HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (April 30, 2012) – The enduringly popular sci-fi favorite STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION – THE FIRST SEASON makes its Blu-ray debut on July 24 from CBS Home Entertainment and Paramount Home Media Distribution. Celebrating its 25th anniversary in 2012, the beloved series continues to enthrall fans with its exciting and socially relevant tales of space exploration in the 24th century.

STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION – THE FIRST SEASON has been retransferred from original film elements to produce stunning high-definition images, including amazing visual effects that have been painstakingly recreated from the source material, creating before/after results that fans will love. The six-disc Blu-ray set also features 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio and a wealth of exclusive bonus material, such as archival footage, a gag reel, and an inside look at taking The Next Generation to the next level of high-definition. Featuring numerous behind-the-scenes interviews, the new material also features Star Trek experts Mike and Denise Okuda, consultants throughout this ongoing project, who offer special insights into the countless man-hours dedicated to the upgrade of The Next Generation.

Featuring one of the most endearing ensemble casts in television history, STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION took fans on the remarkable continuing voyages of the Starship Enterprise with Captain Jean-Luc Picard (Patrick Stewart), Commander William T. Riker (Jonathan Frakes), Lt. Commander Geordi La Forge (LeVar Burton), Counselor Deanna Troi (Marina Sirtis), Lt. Commander Data (Brent Spiner), Lieutenant Worf (Michael Dorn), Dr. Beverly Crusher (Gates McFadden) and Wesley Crusher (Wil Wheaton).

The STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION – THE FIRST SEASON Blu-ray set will be available in 1080p with English 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, English Stereo Surround, French Mono, Japanese Mono and German Mono (with the exception of “Encounter at Farpoint” which is in German Stereo). The discs also include English SDH, French, German, Castilian, Italian, Japanese, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, Norwegian and Swedish subtitles. The Blu-ray is not rated in the U.S. and rated PG in Canada.

15. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

So that's a hundred bucks US. Figures they'd do that. I'm sorry but I can't afford it. I know it will take several years for the price to approach that of other tv shows, but I'll have to wait. $39.95 was the highest I'd be willing to pay.

16. His Masters Vice

His Masters Vice W.C. Fields Forever

I bet it won't be more than $70. UK prices are always inflated.

17. autodidact

autodidact Forum Resident

Vulcans have a longer lifespan than humans, so more shrinkage occurs. :)

But seriously, my dad lost several inches of height in his old age.

I certainly agree with you about reimagining the franchise, though. I did watch the new film twice, to give it a chance, but it is kind of in the Star Trek V category for me. That's the biggest insult I can give it. :thumbsdn:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.