Star Trek TMP Director's Cut on 4/30 (retracted by Paramount)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by EddieVanHalen, Feb 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

no biggie for me...I'm happy with my DC DVD...

2. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I don't remember exactly which VHS tape version I had back then but when the Enterprise spends an eternity flying over some long dark object, I wondered who edited this?

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

If it was VHS, then it most likely was the original theatrical version. Todd Ramsay was the credited editor on the film, but you can bet that Robert Wise was very hands-on in the editing process. I was told by Paramount in 1980 that Wise bitterly complained about the rough schedule they had, and he really wanted another 6 months to finish the film. Unfortunately, the studio had already made contracts with the theaters and couldn't get out of them. I think a lot of people were working 20-hour days, 7 days a week in order to get that movie finished in the last few months of 1979.

4. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Not quite. When STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE came out on a standard-issue VHS, it was labelled the "Special Longer Version". It included stuff that had been put back into the showing on ABC-TV and was pan and scan 4:3.

Later issues (like when they started doing letterboxed VHS versions) may have reverted to the theatrical cut - I know I have a five-LD box that inlcudes the letterboxed theatrical version of TMP. I remember being thrilled that the old familiar theatrical version had finally come out after years of having only the expanded version.

Then when DVDs of TMP finally surfaced, they went back to a non-theatrical release by putting out the welcomed Director's Cut, so once again the Theatrical cut was among the missing (in the current DVD format). That led to some degree of complaining that the theatrical cut was not available - people missed the red alert klaxons, etc. Now the title is on Blu-ray and is back to only the theatrical cut and people are itching for the director's cut.

Seems like we need a double-disc version with both cuts on there.

Harry

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  5. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I saw this once as a kid and remember next to nothing about it other than I didn't like it. I'm wondering if I would have a renewed appreciation of it as an adult.

6. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I still think it's the best film of the entire series. I was actually disappointed that they shortened the V'ger flyover in the director's cut (though at least they included the full length version as a bonus feature), it's such a wonderful scene. I've probably seen this film at least 20 times over the years.

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think both eventually came out, but in 1980 what we did at Modern Videofilm was only the theatrical version. The TV version came later. From Wikipedia:

Paramount Home Entertainment released the film on VHS, Betamax, Laserdisc, and CED videodisc in 1981 in its original theatrical version.

In 1983, an extended cut was released on VHS and premiered on the ABC television network. It added roughly 12 minutes to the film. The added footage was largely unfinished, and cobbled together for the network premiere; Wise hadn't wanted some of the footage to be included in the final cut of the film. This version was released by Paramount in late 1983 on VHS, Betamax, and Laserdisc.

Paramount looked at the unfinished VFX (like Kirk in a spaceship while standing in an airlock on the ship, with plywood boards over his head) and decided it was too expensive to fix, even in standard def NTSC.

The mastering engineer on the 1981 version was Pat Kennedy, who did an exceptional job given the equipment of that time; the later version was done by Archie Santana, and I did some of the short inserts put into the movie (but not the shot of Kirk in the doorway).

8. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

9. Uther

Uther Forum Resident

I sometimes pop the blu-ray in just to watch the flyby. I love that ship.

10. HGN2001

OK, I think my confusion may be due to the state of home video at the time. As I recall, in 1981, VHS and Beta releases were largely done for the rental market. Prices for videotaped copies of movies were often MSRP'ed at $100 or more so as to prevent ownership. Just like now, the motion picture industry was paranoid about any consumer thinking they OWNED a movie, so they priced their films up in the stratosphere and rental houses would buy them and rent them out to individuals for a day/a week, whatever. Remember Fotomat drive-through movies?

So if STAR TREK: TMP had a home video release to the rental market in 1981, it probably wasn't something a casual consumer would buy. The tactic was to wait for the rental window to close and the price would drop as the film entered the sale market, usually at a lower price-point. I seem to recall a price of $39.95 for that SPECIAL LONGER EDITION when it finally DID come out - and the extra footage was the hook to get any early adopters to double-dip.

My confusion is further compounded by someone who obtained for me a copy of ST:TMP as a pirated version. The stupid duplicator actually tried to get the film onto a 2-hour VHS which meant that as Stephen Collins was going through the cosmic blow-dryer, my tape abruptly shut off. When my friend asked me how I liked the tape, I said I loved it no end - and left it at that! But you're right - this pirate must have been a dupe of the theatrical edition that was out in rental.

Harry

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

What they did during that weird era from 1980-1985 was to initially price "rental-only" versions at about $80-$100, and then drop the price for the "sell-through" market to about $30, maybe 6 to 9 months later. So I think it was possible to buy an inexpensive copy of the original Star Trek TMP less than a year after the initial release.

I agree with you that it was a very confusing time. I can recall having conversations with studio execs, and I'd point out, "hey, the movie is showing on HBO and people can tape it for free. Why not sell it cheap on the home video market now?" And they'd come up with some cockamamie excuse that made no sense.

BTW, I can recall pirated copies of this movie out a week after it was in theaters, long before we ever transferred it officially for Paramount. So crap like that did get out -- and still does.

12. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

I'll agree with the poster above that its also MY favorite of all the Star Trek movies.

Shatner lost a ton of weight and had some groovy looking toupees made for that film.

I'll tell you.....the scene where they take Captain Kirk up and he sees The Redesigned Enterprise for the first time in like 10 years still gets me EVERY time I see it. You can just "feel" all the thoughts that must have been going thru Kirks head.....that he was back in the big saddle with the band again after all those years.

So guys, for TMP, what is the best looking source? What should I buy?

Lucidae likes this.
  13. HGN2001

The current Blu-ray looks very, very good. A number of other Trek movies suffer from some heavy edge enhancement, but TMP on Blu is near reference quality IMHO.

Harry

14. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Same here. Over the years I've come to appreciate it more and more. It's the kind of film that would never get made today.

Absolutely. In my opinion, one of the best moments in cinematic history. Not only a perfectly shot sequence, but the soundtrack just takes it to another level.

You'll want the Blu-ray, for sure.

15. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Get the BluRay and the Director's Edition DVD.

16. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Regarding the long "Enterprise reveal" and similarly lengthy "V-Ger flyover" sequences in TMP, I always considered them akin to musical numbers, which makes sense considering Robert Wise's background with directing big Hollywood musicals. I don't mind those sequences one bit since I think the music is strong enough to carry the visuals.

17. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I really liked "Star Trek : The Motion Picture" both ways. The "Enterprise reveal" sequence, I loved it because it introduced to new audience members (& reintroduced to the fans) the Starship Enterprise as an important cast member. She was unique & I'm glad they honored her that way.

18. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Well said!

19. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

That was what drew me to actually buy the Blu-ray set (for cheap!) was the TMP transfer. (Also the main issue is not "edge enhancement", but DNR; Undiscovered Country looks particularly bad in screencaps; less so in motion, but). I'd heard good things about the transfers of TMP and to a lesser extent, Final Frontier (and Wrath Of Khan aside from the questionable color timing).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.