Star Trek TNG-A Die Hard TOS Fan First View & Perspective

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jeffczar, Jul 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Well, Mr Sunspot sir, I can see we're feeling a bit grumpy today, but I have just the thing to brighten your mood - some of my famous Leola root soup, a family recipe passed down the generations. Yessir, that's what you need Mr Sunspot sir. Here you go. :D

Linger63 and sunspot42 like this.
  2. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Hahah!

Seriously though, they should have sent him off with Kes. Buh-bye!

I came up with an idea for Voyager that was much more interesting than the show we ended up with. I'd have killed off the ship's original captain in the blast to the Delta Quadrant. I'd have had them encounter a small Klingon and a large Romulan ship that had also been abducted to the Delta Quadrant by the Caretaker, in addition to the Maquis. The four ships - all in pretty rough state to begin - would have teamed up under the tenuous leadership of Voyager's surviving commander to make their way back to the Alpha Quadrant.

Lots of opportunity for intrigue, backstabbing, cliques and surprises with that bunch.

3. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Sounds a little bit like "The Void" episode.
    Chuck in Fantome and his buddies for some extra fun on the way!!!

My favourite eye candy..........7 (of course)
    My favourite character..........."Please state the nature of the medical emergency"

Enjoyed most of the episodes.

Liked "Tuvix" for it's moral dilemma.

Deesky likes this.
  4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yep me too and Tuvix was outstanding. I would also single out Counterpoint, and to Sunsopt's chagrin, another great Neelix episode - Rise (inspired by The Flight of the Phoenix).

Linger63 likes this.
  5. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Oh Yeah "Counterpoint " was excellent.........had a sinister Nazi, SS, Gestapo type feel to it.
    "Rise" was a cool episode too.......I really did like most of them.

Maybe Sunspot would have been even happier if Neelix had never got his lungs back!!.....LOL

6. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I was so hoping they wouldn't find his lungs...

That episode was kind of a shocker. At first I just thought, "Great, another stupid transporter mishap episode. Here comes the technobabble ending."

And then...

:yikes:

Linger63 likes this.
  7. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Hey it's Star Trek :tsk:..........."technobabble" is it's middle name!!! :uhhuh:

8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That episode was much more about ethics than technobabble.

9. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

BBC America mini-marathon of STNG on Friday.

It's fun, but c'mon...watching "A Fist Full of Datas"....yet another holodeck malfunction??

Turn the frickin' holo deck off. It gets old...esp with Spot and Alexander.....just shoot me....

Linger63 likes this.
  10. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

11. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Maybe they'll get to that after they ban transporters. Seriously, how many transporter malfunctions have to occur before they finally decide it's probably not a good idea to continue using them?

12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

How many car accidents have to occur before they finally decide it's probably not a good idea to continue using them?

sunspot42 likes this.
  13. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

When you have a viable alternative like the shuttle as opposed to a completely impractical method of transportation like transporting that results in Kirk and Co. being transported to a mirror universe with an evil enterprise crew, Picard and Co. being transformed into children, Geordi and Ro being partially phased, Riker being split into two Rikers and on and on and on, it might be a better idea to go with the shuttle. This is the era that abandoned the monetary system and values intellect and discovery over wealth and greed. Surely, they can figure out that the transporters aren't a safe form of travel. We're not quite as advanced as the generation that abandoned money.

14. Erik Tracy

What does that have to do with uncreative/repetitive plot line story writing?

15. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Of course they're safe. The anomalies are just that, statistically insignificant. Races all over the federation routinely use transporters without problem. We only know of a few events, some of which ever caused by external interference and some by malfunction. Such events get investigated and changes get made.

If a few problems with a technology summarily caused us to abandon it, we would never have things like planes, trains & automobiles, ships, manned rockets, orbiting labs, you name it. It's a cost/benefit proposition and transporters certainly tip the balance towards the benefit end.

sunspot42 likes this.
  16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Everything and nothing. It was a response to a specific point from another poster. As for your implication, clearly I don't agree with it.

17. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

They actually seem to have a lot of shuttle crashes too, though. Skin Of Evil, The Last Duty, and Liaisons all feature them. I'd take my chances with the transporters...

Well, that's what I said. It looked like it was heading down that road and then . . .

:yikes:

18. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Yeah I know..........Just havin' a bit of fun with Sunspot. :laugh:

19. Erik Tracy

STNG BBC America Friday marathon...

"Heart of Glory"...whew...classic 80's look and totally terrible.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  20. Erik Tracy

Next show, ST:NG episode - "The Arsenal of Freedom".

Like drinking flat Coke....a memory of something satisfying...

sunspot42 likes this.
  21. Erik Tracy

The marathon continues on BBC America...'Symbiosis'

The Fixx meets Flock of Seagulls....the 80's continues with bad posturing and dialogue.

22. Also the goriest episode ever!

23. Yeah Neelix was annoying. No fault of the actor but the writing.

24. Oh I don't know. I liked Robert Picardo and Kate amulgrew. She can't help it that she sounds like Katherine Hepburn. She's a fine actress.

jeffreybh, Deesky and drasil like this.
  25. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Robert Picardo was great. There's an episode where the Holodoc realizes he's fallen in love with 7. Don't want to give too much away, but it's absolutely devastating and arguably their finest hour.

It would have been a hoot if they'd killed off enough of the cast to leave the obnoxious Holodoc in charge of the ship.

Mulgrew annoyed the hell out of me, sorry. They had the opportunity to hire Linda Hamilton and they should have taken it - she'd have been a hundred times better in the role. Instead they got Mrs. Columbo.

:crazy:

Mulgrew spent too many years doing soaps and brought her soap tropes with her to Voyager. It's color-by-numbers acting. She was at her best when they did something very stagey, like the season two episode "The Thaw", with Michael McKean as the clown. She actually had to act in that one, and she was great. She was pretty good in the series finale too as the pissed off old Janeway - but then the character had always been a bit of a crazy berserker.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.