Star Trek (TOS): Episode-by-Episode Thread (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mark, Aug 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Indeed - so many of these kind of threads get derailed or forgotten. I think of the Hitchcock thread that never got back to THE LADY VANISHES or anything before.

Thanks Luke.

Harry

benjaminhuf likes this.
  2. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Luke's Star Trek Episode-by-Episode Countdown

1-2.5 Stars (#79-59)

1 Star

79. The Way To Eden - Space hippies. Enough said.
    78. Spock's Brain - Remote control Spock was the most laughable plot point ever devised in the Star Trek universe
    77. By Any Other Name - Magic belts and comedy scenes drag this episode down

2 Stars

76. The Alternative Factor - One would have to be on LSD to understand this episode
    75. Plato's Stepchildren - "I am Tweedle-Dee, and I am Tweedle Dumb!"
    74. Assignment: Earth - This is not even a Star Trek episode
    73. Let That Be Your Last Battlefield - Over the top racial messaging
    72. Lights of Zetar - fomulaic and forgettable
    71. That Which Survives - "I am for you." No you are not.
    70. Catspaw - Halloween fun with a giant house cat
    69. Bread and Circuses - One of the weaker earth parallel episodes
    68. Elaan of Troyius - formulaic and flat
    67. The Changeling - A remake of Charlie X, with a laughable prop
    66. Miri - The Captain coming on to a teenage girl? Not cool.
    65. The Omega Glory - Derailed by the worst ending of the series
    64. Metamorphosis - A cerebral episode that misses the mark for me
    63. The Gamesters of Triskelion - So bad it is fun to watch
    62. The Galileo Seven - Spock and crew are painfully out of character here. Far more painful than the plastic spears hurled by the worst aliens ever in Trek
    61. Tomorrow Is Yesterday - Returning to present day misses the mark for me

2.5 Stars

60. Friday's Child - The pregnancy angle brings down some good aspects
    59. The Cloud Minders - A great message falls short in execution

Remurmur, xdawg and benjaminhuf like this.
  3. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

Not the best episode to finish the series. I would love to know what the final two episodes that were never done were about. I do like the conversation between Scotty and McCoy when they are discussing the possibility of mutiny. McCoy is conflicted about it due to his close friendship with Kirk while Scotty knows they will have to take the hard choice of mutiny against the Captain. A good Scotty scene. Also the scene where Spock mind melds with Janice Lester/Captain Kirk and he realizes that he is really talking to the Captain. That is another good scene.

4. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Agreed that Turnabout Intruder is a weak and annoying episode. That pretty much nails it .

I also agree that All Our Yesterdays should have been the last episode aired.

And to quote Forest Gump "That's All I have to say about that"...

But ....as benjaminhuff brought it up, I would also like to thank Luke The Drifter for an exceptional job in running this thread.

Well done Luke...:)

5. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I agree. Shatner even walks like a woman in the episode. They really sold it. The acting is the best part of the episode for me. Not a monumental
    ending to the series, but a fun episode and one of the better season 3 entries.

Animated series next?

Uther likes this.
  6. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I love 'Turnabout...'. Certainly in my top three along with 'The City On The Edge Of Forever' and 'The Doomsday Machine'.

7. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

I would contribute to an animated series discussion. I would be up for that.
    P.S. I also forgot to thank Luke for leading the thread. Great job.

8. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I'm also up for discussing the animated series.
    Thanks to Luke for starting this topic & keeping it running all the way until the last episode of TOS.

Darryl

9. Luke The Drifter

3 Stars (#58-35)

58. And The Children Shall Lead - Most put it toward the bottom, but I have always found it creepy
    57. Return of the Archons - Many don't like this one either, but it had elements of the Borg and a creepy cult
    56. Paradise Syndrome - "I AM KIROK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    55. The Empath - A great guest performance and memorable scene between Spock and McCoy make this low budget episode
    54. A Private Little War - Klingons and an arms race, with the worst wigs of the series
    53. Who Mourns For Adonais? - An interesting notion that the Greek gods were aliens, and well acted too
    52. Is There In Truth No Beauty - A showcase for Spock, and one really cool optical effect with "mad Spock"
    51. The Immunity Syndrome - Space Amoeba
    50. For The World Is Hollow And I Have Touched the Sky - Longest title ever, and an interesting concept that has many plot holes
    49. Requiem for Methuselah - The eternal man responsible for earth's great achievements
    48. Errand of Mercy - The more Klingons the better I say
    47. The Apple - THE episode that established the perils of wearing a red shirt
    46. Shore Leave - Some do not like it, but it is a fun trip on a vacation planet
    45. I, Mudd - Norman can't compute
    44. Where No Man Has Gone Before - They made the right choice for this fine pilot, but it is odd seeing things amiss
    43. Mudd's Women - Star Trek's favorite guest star makes his debut appearance
    42. Turnabout Intruder - The series goes out in a fury of Shatner acting like a woman? Love it.
    41. Mark of Gideon - So you need the Captain to love on a woman? I think he can handle that. I love the empty Enterprise.
    40. Wolf In The Fold - A Scotty showcase with an interesting earth connection
    39. Patterns of Force - Nazis are bad. Okay?
    38. Wink Of An Eye - One of the cooler episodes from a visual perspective, if one doesn't think too hard about the physics
    37. What Are Little Girls Made Of? - This episode still scares me after all these years. Lurch and a subterranean environment. Yikes!
    36. A Piece Of The Action - A walk on the lighter side. The Captain driving a car is still memorable.
    35. This Side Of Paradise - Nimoy is allowed to take Spock out of role in fine fashion.

Thanks for all the well-wishes guys.

Remurmur, benjaminhuf and xdawg like this.
  10. Remurmur

As we wind down to the end of this thread, I realize that there are far too many folks to thank individually for their intelligent, thoughtful, insightful, and entertaining posts regarding one of my all-time favorite TV programs, but to all of you...your collective love for Star Trek was obvious, and ...like the good folks who wrote the screenplay for the movie Spinal Tap, you did not let your love for this wonderful show be so reverential that you were not above goofing on it now and then, especially when it needed it .

This has been a lot of fun and I am truly sad to see it end. I loved Star Trek : TOS and continue to do so, even with its occasional flaws, its occasional gaffs and bloopers, its occasional low budget driven production values, and of course, those wonderful plywood sets.

I love it first off...for the wonderful chemistry between the cast, especially "the big three", second, for the often good to occasionally exceptional writing that helped bring intelligent Sci-Fi to the mainstream, and third, for Gene Roddenberry's rather lofty but earnest worldview that someday....maybe...we will learn how to stop hating each other and anyone who is "different" and, maybe even to stop killing each other for those same reasons and maybe ...start to recognize the incredible potential and opportunities that exist for us as a species if we make that decision to put hatred aside and to literally shoot for the stars.

Maybe he was a dreamer, but I don't think he's the only one...

Live long and prosper Star Trek ....!

11. Luke The Drifter

4-4.5 Stars (#34-14)

4 Stars

34. Return To Tomorrow - A nice twist at the end pushes this episode up a level
    33. Court Martial - A memorable guest star, and some interesting technology to solve the problem
    32. Operation: Annihilate! - One of the best alien designs of the series (yes I am serious).
    31. The Ultimate Computer - It is incredibly powerful when the M-5 destroys the other ships
    30. The Enemy Within - Stunt double issues aside, Shatner turns in a fine performance
    29. Obsession - The Moby Dick of Star Trek, and maybe Shatner's best acting in the series
    28. The Corbomite Maneuver - Perhaps the most stunning ship design in the Trek universe
    27. The Tholian Web - Iconic spacesuits and web visuals make this episode one of the most memorable
    26. Whom Gods Destroy - The madness of Garth and shape shifting mystery make for a fine episode
    25. Charlie X - Charlie's stare melting the 3-D chess pieces is one of the most memorable in ST:TOS
    24. The Savage Curtain - Fighting alongside Abraham Lincoln against the most evil figures from history? Is there a better idea than that?
    23. A Taste of Armageddon - Trek's greatest commentary on war
    22. The Deadly Years - Fine acting throughout as the crew shows advanced age
    21. Dagger of the Mind - That machine is terrifying, and all it does is turn on a light and make a noise
    20. The Man Trap - The "Salt Vampire" was a wonderful start to the series as a "creature feature"
    19. The Squire of Gothos - Another brilliant guest star equals a wonderful episode (as it often does)
    18. & 17. The Menagerie (Parts I & II) - A wonderful job of crafting a story that used the fantastic Cage footage
    16. Arena - This episode is so good, that even its flaws make it memorable
    15. Spectre of the Gun - Surrealistic scenery from a twisted dream and wonderful writing takes this well beyond a run of the mill western knockoff

4.5 Stars

14. All Our Yesterdays - The pinnacle of the Spock/McCoy dynamic, and a cool time travel effect to boot

Remurmur and benjaminhuf like this.
  12. Nipper

Nipper His Master's Voice

Even though I haven't posted yet in this thread, I just wanted to thank Luke and all the others who have contributed. I've enjoyed following along and have watched several episodes on bluray with inspiration from this thread. I appreciate the thoughtful comments, and I'm looking forward your your ranking of the five-star episodes.

:tiphat:

13. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I like after the mind meld when Spock retuns Janice Lester/Captain Kirk.
    Also, Spock's line "Repition of your physical violence is not called for...SIR."

Darryl

wayne66 likes this.
  14. Luke The Drifter

5 Stars (#13-1)

13. Day Of The Dove: This is the best Klingon episode, played by wonderful guest stars (a common theme for the best episodes), and it even shows a female Klingon. The weapons transforming is fun, and the psychological elements are excellent. The acting at the very end drops it to the bottom of this list of excellent episodes.

12. The Trouble With Tribbles: The best of light-hearted Trek. This episode is full of fun, including an old west barroom brawl. I do not prefer light Trek, but this episode is irresistible. I even own a Tribble. Does anyone else think Harry Mudd should have been peddling the Tribbles?

11. The Enterprise Incident: What a wonderful spy episode. Many downgrade it for Spock's seduction scene, but this episode is a shining bright spot from Season 3.

10. The Devil In The Dark: This is the most "alien" episode of ST:TOS. We have a truly alien creature. The subterranean sets are fantastic (and more than a bit scary). The story is strong, and to cap it off is the best of the mind meld scenes.

9. The Conscience Of The King: An episode that did not even need to be set in space. This is Shakespearean drama of a high order, and it succeeds on all levels.

8. Journey To Babel: From Spock's parents to intrigue on the ship, this may be the best written episode of the series. Of course Spock will not leave the bridge to save his father!

7. The Naked Time: The madness that grips the Enterprise allows the actors to shine, and the emergence of Spock as a cultural icon began here. And I love Kevin Riley and orange spacesuits.

6. Space Seed: This episode has spawned two major motion pictures. Deservedly so, as Ricardo Montalban turns in a guest starring role for the ages. Is this the greatest guest star appearance of any Trek series?

5. Amok Time: The one character everyone wanted to know more about was Spock. This episode delivers in spades, as we also get to see Vulcan, and their most private ceremony. It has the greatest fight scene of ST:TOS (take that Gorn), and Spock's reaction at the end is priceless. One of my favorite scenes in all of Trek is when Spock smashes his monitor.

4. Balance Of Terror: What a duel. If you want a great protagonist, he must come up against a worthy opponent. Utmost respect is given by all to the Romulan commander, but bested he is by our brilliant young captain.

3. The City On The Edge Of Forever: Many regard this as the greatest episode of the series. It is certainly in the conversation. The episode definitely contains the most powerful ending. This is not merely another conquest by the Captain, but a very deep, adult love story set to brilliant science fiction.

2. The Doomsday Machine: This statement against the atomic bomb stands the test of time. This episode has two wonderful guest appearances (Decker and the Planet Killer), and Captain Kirk's most impressive destruction of a machine run amok (and that is saying something!).

1. Mirror, Mirror: In my opinion, the greatest episode of ST:TOS, and maybe any Trek series. The notion of a mirror universe is brilliant, and it is so fun to see the little changes throughout the ship. And hidden within is still a great commentary on war, when the Captain pleas with "mirror Spock". Here is a bonus countdown:

Luke's Top 5 Reasons To Love Mirror, Mirror

5. McCoy spilling the same chemicals on his table in both universes
    4. That scar on Sulu's face
    3. Agonizers and agony booths
    2. Uhura giving Sulu what for
    1. Spock's beard!

Maybe some of you could post your Top 10 or Top 5 episodes.

Thanks for all who have participated. It has been over two years. I need a break, and am headed to the Shore Leave planet. But, if anyone wants to do something for another series, I would gladly participate.

I am also going to ask a Gort if we can put part 2 and 1 back together so this awesomeness will all be preserved in one location.

Live long and prosper.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  15. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

Thanks again, Captain Luke, for the great trip.

Hope someone takes you up on your offer for someone to lead a similar discussion for Star Trek: The Next Generation, which is just wrapping up its release on blu-ray. I'm afraid I'm not feeling up to it, but if anyone wants to take it on, perhaps an edited list of the top 40 or so episodes of that show would make it more doable.

Great list of top episodes of TOS.

16. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

Years ago, while describing this episode to someone, I said that it was also a Harry Mudd episode and Harry was the Tribble peddle. Boy was I mistaken.

17. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

"Mirror, Mirror" is a great episode and very suspenseful to watch (I always worry that Kirk and company won't make it back to their universe even though I know they will). I love TOS and it is hard for me to pick a Top 10 or a Top 5. One of my favorites, though, is "A Taste of Armageddon" because of Kirk's sheer cockiness.:love:

18. Luke The Drifter

It is almost like they took the Harry Mudd character, and gave it a different name and actor. I have always wondered if he was considered.

CusBlues likes this.
  19. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Luke, I completely agree with your choice of #1. :agree: In fact I can't see anything in your top ten that I disagree with at all.

20. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Switch Devil In The Dark and The Naked Time and Luke's list is basically my top 10. I didn't comment during the discussions but did read along while I watched. The thread was a great read. So when is the Next Generation thread going up because I am just starting that series.

21. Remurmur

But....what of Lazarus?

Just kidding! :hide:

Again Luke, great job, thanks for the good time and enjoy your stay on shore leave ...:)

22. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

malcolm reynolds: May I nominate you to lead a thread on The Next Generation? Most of the rest of us would contribute, and probably there would be some new participants who would emerge....

23. puddin

puddin Forum Resident

Loved this thread BTW. It made me interested in going back and re-watching TOS blu-rays with a new appreciation. I second the request to create a Next generation tyhread, particularly since the blu-rays for these are almost universally outstanding in picture, sound and extras content. Now that TNG has 6 seasons out on blu-ray, it's a great time to re-appraise that series. I'd love to contribute to whomever starts that thread :)

benjaminhuf likes this.
  24. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

It's possible but I doubt it; if it was Mudd, none of the Enterprise crew would have ever bought a Tribble (or anything else) from him and you'd be missing half the episode.

Luke The Drifter likes this.
  25. Remurmur

I can't seem to get away from this wonderful thread...;) :)

So OK. Per Luke's suggestion, here are my Top 10 Star Trek episodes

1. The Naked Time
    2. The Corbomite Maneuver
    3. Balance Of Terror
    4. Space Seed
    5. City On The Edge Of Forever
    6. Errand Of Mercy
    7. Amok Time
    8. Journey To Babel
    9. The Doomsday Machine
    10. The Tholian Web

And that was a lot harder than I thought it would be. I can think of at least 5 more for number 11.

So here they are...in no particular order:

This Side Of Paradise
    The Enemy Within
    The Devil In The Dark
    Mirror Mirror
    The Paradise Syndrome

And believe me, I hate having to stop here as more and more serious omissions are now becoming clear to me.

But, if I keep going , this will end up being my Top 30 ...:)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
    Luke The Drifter likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.