Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country DVD missing booklet

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by btomarra, Jan 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile Thread Starter

Bought this DVD today (the day it came out). Funny but it came sealed with all those peel-it strips, but when I opened it up....No booklet!

Did anyone else buy this and have the same experience, or is this clearly an error?

Brian

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

No error - none of the copies have insert cards...

3. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Is this one a new expanded edition?

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Yep. 2-disc. Lot's of extras. Sprinkles on top. No insert.

Regards,

5. -=Rudy=-

Well, I've got some catching up to do then--got the 2-discs of I, II and III, single of IV. V, VI and VII on Laserdisc. The rest on DVD, but IMHO they're so bad I've only watched 'em once each. :laugh: (Didn't even get the last one.) Classic Trek movies for me, it seems. :thumbsup:

6. Oatsdad

It's a different version of the film compared to the original theatrical cut - as is the original DVD and every other home video incarnation of the flick - and it's also got a couple of other small changes. Here's a link to my review:

http://www.dvdmg.com/startrek6se.shtml

7. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

Colin, great review. I didn't realize this was yet *another* cut of the film and just assumed it was the '92 version.

So the "theatrical portion" of the film has been slightly re-edited by Meyer? Strange. (If I'm not mistaken, I believe the '92 version strictly ADDED scenes, without altering anything else.) Too bad there's no seamless branching for all of this, if that would even be possible.

8. Ken_McAlinden

I'm not hyper aware of this film's editorial details, but in most cases, even when scenes are added, other slight editorial changes are required to previous and subsequent scenes, particularly in the case of audio editing.

I have always been somewhat ambivalent about the subplot with Rene Auberjonois' character. It fits thematically having hard core hawks conspiring to undermine the peace process, but it's really more of what's already there considering what Kirk's character experiences through the film, and the Scooby Doo aspect of the revelation is a bit off-putting :). I personally like to see fallible human elements within the "Federation" in Trek stories, but it also kind of undermines Gene Roddenerry's optimistic future vision that launched the whole franchise and set it apart from most other doom and gloom futurism in sci-fi.

Regards,

9. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Exceptional job on your reviews, Colin! :thumbsup: :edthumbs:

10. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile Thread Starter

Colin,

Love that website. I read the reviews of the James Bond DVDs and everyone of them read as if I wrote them. The films you liked, I did. The movies that you thought were not essential I did as well.

Brian

11. Oatsdad

Thanks to all for the nice comments!

12. Ken_McAlinden

I agree with Colin a lot too, but I was surprised that he was underwhelmed by "Mutiny on the Bounty". I finally decided that like everyone else who disagrees with me about anything, he must be crazy. :)

That aside, I find myself agreeing with his assessments more consistently than just about any other net reviewer of DVDs.

Regards,

13. Oatsdad

He doesn't deny that possibility! :)

14. crazywater

crazywater Dangerous Dreamer...

Great review...

One of my favorite ST flicks, Scotty is at his best in this one, after being an embarrassing buffoon in STV he is back to being confident and firm in his decisions...

Just picked this up in Costco for $11.99, can't beat that!

15. -=Rudy=-

I'll add another one to the heap. :thumbsup: Nice job on the reviews!

I'm reading the write-up of the Final Frontier special edition. "Thunder thighs???" :laugh: :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.