Star Trek: Voyager- Best Episodes

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by greelywinger, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia Thread Starter

1&2. "Caretaker" January 16, 1995 Winrich Kolbe Michael Piller & Jeri Taylor 48315.6 101, 102
    On a mission to the Badlands, the USS Voyager, along with a Maquis ship, is stranded in the Delta Quadrant, more than 70,000 light-years from home by an incredibly powerful being known as "Caretaker."
    3. "Parallax" January 23, 1995 Kim Friedman Brannon Braga 48439.7 103
    Voyager is trapped in a quantum singularity's event horizon.
    4. "Time and Again" January 30, 1995 Les Landau David Kemper & Michael Piller Unknown 104
    Captain Kathryn Janeway and Tom Paris are sent back in time one day before an alien planet is annihilated. They attempt to stop the explosion that destroys the planet.
    5. "Phage" February 6, 1995 Winrich Kolbe Skye Dent & Brannon Braga 48532.4 105
    An organ-harvesting species known as the Vidiians steal Neelix's lungs, leaving him to die.
    6. "The Cloud" February 13, 1995 David Livingston Tom Szollosi & Michael Piller 48546.2 106
    The crew enter a nebula to collect samples before realizing it is a living organism.
    7. "Eye of the Needle" February 20, 1995 Winrich Kolbe Bill Dial & Jeri Taylor 48579.4 107
    A micro-wormhole is discovered that leads to the Alpha Quadrant, and the crew make contact with a Romulan station on the other side.
    8. "Ex Post Facto" February 27, 1995 LeVar Burton Evan Carlos Somers & Michael Piller Unknown 108
    Tom Paris is framed for murder on an alien world, and Tuvok must work out the truth before Paris's mind is shattered by his punishment: reliving the murder from 'his' victim's perspective every few hours.
    9. "Emanations" March 13, 1995 David Livingston Brannon Braga 48623.5 109
    Harry Kim is transported to an alien world as a dead body arrives on Voyager.
    10. "Prime Factors" March 20, 1995 Les Landau Michael Perricone & George Elliot 48642.5 110
    A race that could halve Voyager's journey will not share its technology.
    11. "State of Flux" April 10, 1995 Robert Scheerer Chris Abbott 48658.2 111
    A Maquis officer is found to be a Cardassian spy who has been aiding the Kazon against Voyager.
    12. "Heroes and Demons" April 24, 1995 Les Landau Naren Shankar 48693.2 112
    The holographic doctor must rescue crew members who were turned to energy in the Holodeck, by entering a holodeck program of Beowulf.
    13. "Cathexis" May 1, 1995 Kim Friedman Brannon Braga 48734.2 113
    An alien mind takes over crew-members' bodies, and Chakotay is left apparently brain-dead after something attacks his shuttlecraft.
    14. "Faces" May 8, 1995 Winrich Kolbe Kenneth Biller 48784.2 114
    B'Elanna Torres is split into her human and Klingon halves by the Vidiians.
    15. "Jetrel" May 15, 1995 Kim Friedman Jack Klein & Karen Klein & Kenneth Biller 48832.1, 48840.5 115
    A member of the Haakonians, a race warring with the Talaxians arrives on Voyager, much to the dismay of Neelix, whose family was killed by them.
    16. "Learning Curve" May 22, 1995 David Livingston Ronald Wilkerson & Jean Louise Matthias 48846.5 116
    Tuvok trains several Maquis members who have not fully integrated into the Voyager crew.

Darryl

2. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Hard to remember.

Perhaps the few doctor-centric episodes.

Perhaps the ones that allow for better appreciation of Seven. :love:

3. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Will you be discussing the best episode/s from each of the seasons? :)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. greelywinger

I'm doing the same as on the Deep Space Nine thread.

Darryl

5. greelywinger

Ex Post Facto
    Prime Factors
    State of Flux

Darryl

6. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

Eye Of The Needle is comfortably my favourite from Season 1.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I dearly love VOYAGER (as most of you know). I've watched every episode many times over the years on the DVD 7 year box sets.

Funny, some of your "Best Episodes" are my least favorites.

I never discuss Star Trek Anything with others. It always almost comes to blows..

8. konut

konut Prodigious Member. Thank you.

Peace and Love! :edthumbs: My favorite Star Trek offshoot! There were very few episodes that were bad. Will start to rewatch thanks to this thread! :righton:

9. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I don't know what the title is, but the episode where the holographic doctor ends up on a future starship with (I think) Andy Dick as another doctor, was very cool.

The future Star Ship split into two to fight the enemy. I wondered why they did not persue that feature/ship plot.

10. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

:thumbsup:

One of my faves too :)

"Message in a Bottle" S4 #14

Cool ship USS Prometheus

[​IMG]

11. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

Whose best episodes? The list in the OP is just every episode from series 1...

12. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

The OP is listing each episode of a season. The idea is that we're supposed to pick our favorites from among those listed for each season. If I'm not mistaken, the OP is watching these selectively and wants to skip over the ones that are not worth his time, and he's coming to these as a newbie.(?) Maybe not.

"Caretaker" and "The Phage" are very important episodes, as is "State Of Flux". They have bearings on future episodes and the series as a whole.

I happen to like "Parallax" and "Time and Again" as pretty decent science-fiction stories.

Harry

bmasters9 likes this.
  13. greelywinger

I've only listed my top 3 episodes (as this wasn't a complete season).
    Phage just missed my top 3 for the season.

Darryl

14. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

I watched the whole of Voyager on DVD with my son about 4 years ago, when he was c. 10 years old. We loved it. We both thought it was more consistently a solid show than either the original (as much as we love that one) or even Generations (as much as we love that one).

I really like how for 2-3 shows per season they'd do 2 part eps that were almost like a Star Trek movie (but a good one, unlike the trash that's been foisted on us since Generations, imho).

I truly hope they bring this show out on blu-ray asap. But I suppose Generations is likely to come first. I know about all of the problems with redoing some shots and reediting it, but as Vidiot has told us they did a proof of concept on this 3 years ago or so and it worked out fine...

They just need to invest maybe c. $8m per so a season, which is cheap as these things go, and then they'll have a show that'll run for decades imho....

But, when it comes to favorite eps I'd almost have to watch the whole thing again to figure that out. I'm trying to wait for it on blu, but that may never happen as I know...

15. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

We've watched Voyager from end to end a couple of times recently on UK TV.

Have to say out of all the Star Trek captains Janeway is the one I'd work for.

The only truly bad things about Voyager were Kes and the final episode.

16. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Yes the final episode felt like a cheat. I also hated Kes, but Neelix was seriously strained "comic relief" throughout the series as well. Janeway and the doctor were the two best characters, and in spite of all the pandering to adolescent boys that was 7 of 9, they did interesting things with her character as well. I thought the series dropped in quality after the first two seasons, but there were still good episodes after that, just not as consistently good.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

Neelix was easily the worst character because he was just too annoying and often stupid. Most of the Chakotay-centric episodes were also boring so I hated him most of the time. Doctor, 7 of 9 and Janeway were the best characters IMO, with Tuvoc, Harry and Paris being OK.

It's been a while since I watched it though so I'd struggle to pick out favourite and least favourite episodes.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Watching it compared to STTNG I think it holds up better as a show.

I'd take a "Chakotay getting in touch with his ancestors" over a "Troi has a headache" episode.

Matthew Tate and Solaris like this.
  19. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

The thing I most remember is the episode where Neelix is holding a phaser to Naomi Wildman's head. It wasn't difficult to imagine the audience screaming "PULL THE TRIGGER, PULL THE TRIGGER!!!!!"

Easily the worst of the Trek series.

20. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Nahhh had far less filler episodes than say Deep Space Slow Burn.

How Deep Space 9 didnt get cancelled after two seasons I dont know. It wouldnt survive today.

Its the one Trek show I wont bother watching if I catch it while channel surfing.

bmasters9 likes this.
  21. benjaminhuf

Yeah, I probably didn't give it enough of a chance, but I never warmed up to DS9 either.

Voyager was better, imho...

22. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

This thread is about STAR TREK: VOYAGER but given the recent shots taken at DS9, I should take a moment to voice my support for that series too. Both DS9 and VOYAGER endure a lot of potshots taken by "fans" but neither deserve the level of disdain that one would gather from reading Internet postings.

Both series had their ups and down - what series doesn't? There are some fine episodes of both, well-deserving of their place in Trek-lore. And there are some clunkers in both. Neeilix and Naomi Wildman are easy targets in VOYAGER, just as the Ferengi characters are in DS9. But they're no less annoying than the worst of the Wesley Crusher or Alexander episodes of TNG.

I'd like to recommend to anyone that dismissed DEEP SPACE NINE as a series to give it another chance. It had a slow start as the writers pulled away from the NEXT GEN-style of writing. A lot of the first abbreviated season tends toward a mystery-alien-of-the-week-comes-to-the-station format, but the episodes serve as good background for the main characters.

Seasons two and three of DS9 improved, but the series explodes in goodness from season four on. The Worf character adds a great dimension to the series and solidifies the cast - and by then the semi-serialized nature of the show is in full bloom, allowing for story arcs that span entire seasons or more.

Watch these on DVD or through a subscription service, doing multiple episodes at a time or at least in rapid succession. They play a lot better than the old once-a-week format that was offered on original broadcasts.

I've theorized that DS9 suffered in audience impression on original broadcast because of its shoehorned nature of being broadcast simultaneously while TNG was finishing up and VOYAGER was getting started. Faithful fans watched them all and had to juggle two different TREK series every week - and even that wasn't totally true as it seemed that one series would chuck in a rerun while the other was new, and vice versa the next week. So keeping up with the serialized nature of DS9 became a challenge as the exploits of Picard and later Janeway got in the way.

Each series should be viewed on its own and given a chance to shine. The rewards for watching DS9 that way are many, and a lot of new fans have discovered just that by giving the series a second chance.

Harry

Hot Ptah, Matthew Tate and IronWaffle like this.
  23. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

This was always one of my favorite Trek series, sadly netflix doenst have it available in streaming yet.

24. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

My recolection is that both DS9 and Voyager had better writing than TNG.

DS9 is (today) my second-favorite ST series.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. benjaminhuf

TNG was pretty weak the first two years.

So was DS9, I think, but that's all I watched. But as HGN says, I should give that one more of a chance.

The original series was weaker in the third year.

Voyager was relatively strong throughout.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.