'Star Wars' Braintrust Plots Leia's Life After Carrie Fisher's Death

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BeatleJWOL, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

In some video I watched online or maybe on the Force Awakens blu set - they talked about this. It's not for action figures - it's to use in the future - for films.

2. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Whatever they were using it for, they've officially announced that they are not going to recreate Leia using CGI for the new films.
    A Statement Regarding New Rumors | StarWars.com

mpayan likes this.
  3. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Right - got it. I'm speaking of the practice of actors getting 3D scanned - in general.

4. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

This. Sounds corny but Leia just isn't another character she is Carrie Fisher

I posted that she would return as a ghost but I thought about it afterwards and remembered that Qui Gon taught Ben how to do it, Yoda tells Ben at then end of ep3 that Qui Gon has some training for him. So she can't return as a ghost.

rnranimal likes this.
  5. greg_t

greg_t Senior Member

They are recasting chewbacca since Peter Mayhew can't do it physically anymore I don't see much difference other than we can't see Peters face . The story and character development should come first. Hope they make the right choice.

KAJ1971 likes this.
  6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

That's a pretty big difference, don't you think?

DetroitDoomsayer likes this.
  7. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

I think it's a lot easier for people to accept a recast of someone in a full body and face costume than a character (actress) most people grew up with. We are used to seeing Carrie as our beloved princess.

8. greg_t

greg_t Senior Member

Yes And no. Her character was bigger in the story for sure, but really in the end they are just actors playing a role. I wonder what carrie would want for the character? Cgi, story rewrites since she couldn't be a part, or for the story of her character to continue?

9. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Actually, I just thought of another way they could bring a new actress as Leia into IX without it being ghoulish or awkward - as a young(er) Leia, either as part of a flashback sequence or as part of a time-travel plot. Carrie couldn't have done that anyhow, and you'd still have Leia in the film.

10. DetroitDoomsayer

Time Travel plot!? since when has Star Wars ever had time travel as a plot device. Never, not even as a mention as being something in that universe.

11. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

There's a first time for everything...

12. DetroitDoomsayer

I think a lot of fans would have a harder time accepting a time travel plot than a straight recasting of the role.

Vidiot likes this.
  13. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I was thinking the spirit part would be a good way to elevate her character out of the storyline in a respectable way. She would only be seen for a brief moment when Luke leaves the room as her holographic image fades. The holographic image could be created from an outtake. She doesn't say anything. She just bows her head & fades away. In the future, when Luke gets inspired by his sister, it can be seen in a certain expression on his face.

14. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

very easy ! just have the son kill her as well

sunspot42 likes this.
  15. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

They already recasted Chewie for TFA.
    In The Force Awakens - 29-year old Finnish actor Joonas Suotamo had the honor of stepping into the massive, hairy shoes of Chewbacca alongside Peter Mayhew.
    There's a New Chewbacca Actor in Star Wars: The Force Awakens

[​IMG]

Vidiot and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  16. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

During the last scene they should have spliced together two different scenes of the two characters individually fighting two different species of alien to make that really funny. :)

Laservampire likes this.
  18. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Why?

19. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

It's ridiculous how they couldn't keep the original actor for the new movie. Nice to see Peter in that picture though!

20. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Has it been announced that Mayhew won't be appearing in the upcoming films. I haven't read that. Both Mayhew and Suotamo were in The Force Awakens.

21. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Have you seen Peter Mayhew walk? He uses a lightsaber cane to get around. He looks like he's in really bad shape. And that was video from a couple of years ago that I watched. What's he doing now? Peter cannot physically walk or run for the character of Chewbacca like he did a long time ago.

22. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

I haven't heard that. But I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't. How would we know if he was?!?

23. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Isn't the new guy taking over for him because he's too physically disabled to do the role anymore?

24. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

yup.

25. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

I thought Mayhew did a few scenes in TFA, most likely seated in the Falcon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.