Star Wars coming to Blu-ray!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bryan, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. No thanks. :laugh:

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I always wonder if GL would've (essentially) left "ESB" alone if Kershner had died before the 1997 SEs. I don't know if he tampered with it so little out of respect to the still-living director or he just didn't think it needed much work.

I think Kershner was a much stronger director than Marquand anyway. I also had the impression GL secretly co-directed "Jedi", whereas it seems pretty clear that Kershner had a lot of autonomy on "ESB"...

3. I agree with those that have stated the fan versions that have been altered are not an attempt to "preserve" the original vision; Lucas' vision is ongoing and revisionist. The version he loves (currently) is the most recent version. Is it the best version? No, at least not in my opinion.

I welcomed the opportunity for him to clean up matte problems, add new visual effects to improve those he was never happy with but I would have liked it if he hadn't done things like mess with Han shooting first.

Regardless, both versions should be available. I just wish that Lucas would see fit to spent the money to preserve the original just as he did his "remakes".

Could be likely. Richard Marquad died back in 1987. Lucas has a lot of respect for Kersh and, IIRC, knew him before hiring him to shoot "ESB". Kersh had directed a number of films that Lucas respected ("Flim-Flam-Man", "A Fine Madness").

Marquad was a comtemporary of Lucas (although as a British director he never had worked with him/interacted with him before). Lucas liked "Eye of the Needle" quite a bit but Marquad's filmography prior to that not all that impressive.

4. That is a great movie!

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Kershner had also been one of Lucas' teachers in film school at USC. Famously, Kersh asked him why he wanted him to direct Empire, and Lucas answered, "because you know everything a Hollywood director is supposed to know, but you're not Hollywood."

6. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

No surprise there... do you think the average Joe Punchclock blu-ray consumer even knows/cares about the alterations Lucas made to these new editions? It's unfortunate, but sadly true.

7. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

I think they know and don't care, or actually enjoy the changes. This is one of those vocal minority issues.

8. Quidsane

Quidsane Forum Resident

From Amazon as of this posting:

1,563 Reviews

5 star: (387)
    4 star: (85)
    3 star: (50)
    2 star: (58)
    1 star: (983) :yikes:

Hmmmm...

9. canonlon

canonlon Forum Resident

IMO only a very small % off all the people buying the Star Wars Blu-Ray set realize the exact changes that Lucas has made to characters and settings. And if they had it explained to them, would likely not care much and would not affect their purchase. "New and improved" is always a line that sells goods > even if you already own it and have a better model.

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I suspect the average Blu-ray owner knows these aren't the same movies that ran theatrically and they're aware of many changes but probably not the nit-pickier ones. Face it, guys - the wide world doesn't care about inconsistent lightsaber coloring...

11. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Keep in mind that 800 of the 983 are from one guy who lives in his Mom's basement surrounded by several computers.

And no: I'm not going to say what my ... uh ... I mean *his* name is.

12. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Having recently seen the Theatrical Editions for the first time, I'm glad I've seen them and I'm glad I have them to watch again, but I can see why lots of the things were updated.

I think I'd ideally like a Bluray of the 97 Special Editions, they're probably the best trade off between updated special effects and silly changes/ additions.

Having said that, 90% of the films on these Blurays are the same as the originals, and I love HD movies far too much to let the few changes stop me. I think I can live with the "Noooo" for the sake of watching the rest of the movies in glorious 1080p.

13. chuckgp

chuckgp Active Member

just rented IV and V, IV looking and sounding real good so far. Very grainy in the desert shots, you can almost feel the sand hitting you.:cool:

14. FatherMcKenzie

FatherMcKenzie Forum Resident

Finished watching the first three episodes of 'Star Wars' on blu-ray.

First, I agree with many about the story, the writing, some of the characters, etc., but I am watching this as a blu-ray experience.

'The Phantom Menace' transfer started out visually, for me, as not so great. It just didn't impress me initially through the first, oh, twenty minutes. As the film progressed, it got better, though. So good, in fact, I was very impressed over the course of watching the three films.

One example of this HD presentation that impressed me was I noticed blood spatter when Obi-Wan cut Darth Maul in half in the first film, something that did not register with me in previous viewings.

Now, I'm no trivia expert or know all the color schemes, but occasionally I felt there were differences in some places. I may go back and compare with the DVDs I have.

So, I'm anticipating the next three in a positive way, and, realizing I may get a jolt when I see something that doesn't make sense or is a change that makes me react negatively.

I have to say I enjoyed the first three films this time without all the baggage and negativity I brought to them in the past. Maybe having some distance and being that much older, I can deal with Jar Jar, the stilted dialogue and the tendency for GL to play to a more juvenile audience.

15. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Yeah that's because Amazon lets anyone rate anything. How many of those 387 do think have bought or viewed these.

16. They did the same with the theatrical "Lord of the Rings" bashing it without even seeing the transfer.

They were reviewing the fact that it "wasn't" the extended edition. I personally think if it isn't a review of the product that amazon should pull them but that's me.

17. FatherMcKenzie

FatherMcKenzie Forum Resident

All reviews and comments (including mine - no, not mine!), I feel, should be taken with a grain of salt. I also think most of us have an idea of what makes a good review or comment even if we are apt to buy something we ultimately don't like or are disappointed in.

Money may ultimately be the "line in the sand" when it comes to making a purchase and disappointment at money wasted is no small thing, but, on the other hand, I wouldn't be enjoying many things if I hadn't taken a chance based on some reviews and comments.

So, I don't know, going solely with your gut or opinion can deprive one of being exposed to something new or different. It's a crap shoot.

So, hopefully one can wade through the crap that gets posted on amazon (or anywhere else for that matter).

18. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I've seen screen shot comparisons with prior video releases of Star Wars to the new blu-rays, and they've really pumped up the color on these new discs. Like cranking the saturation on your TV. Has this distracted anyone who's watched the new blu-rays?

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I actually felt they were a little bit more saturated myself, but not overwhelmingly so.

The truth is surprising. If you read the Making of 'Empire Strikes Back' book, you'll find out that Kershner made a number of decisions that were contrary to what Lucas wanted. In particular, Kershner would do dozens and dozens and dozens of takes, trying to get the performance and visual look he wanted, which put the movie 50% over budget (it wound up over $30M instead of the expected $20M) and put Lucas deeply in debt. Interestingly, despite these problems, once the movie was released and made a fortune, Lucas immediately asked Kershner to direct Jedi, but Irvin declined, saying it was a good experience but it was time for him to move on.

I do agree 100% that Richard Marquand was a more "cooperative" director, for lack of a better word. And I think Jedi came in 100% on schedule and on budget.

20. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I spent several hours about 3 weeks ago re-calibrating my 60" Pioneer Elite plasma with a colorimeter (and associated software) partially because I knew this set was coming out.

I didn't need much adjustment, just a slight bump in green drive, and my grayscale was spot on. In other words, my display is very near ideal settings, not just by eye (looks great!) but by objective measurements.

These Blu-rays look great, no oversaturation.

21. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Phew that was a Long thread, but a brilliant read :righton:

Is it worth upgrading to Blue ray just for the upgrade to DVD, I don't have a Blueray player and have not really thought about getting one until this release, my DVD's have the original and I think 2007 version, don't know I am not that Anal about all the updates, the thing that is putting me of this new release, apart from the need to upgrade to Blueray is the lack of the original versions, is it really worth it ?:shrug:

22. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

...So I take it Han still shoots second but wins anyway?

23. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Han doesn't even carry a blaster anymore, it has been replaced by a walkie-talkie.

24. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

...Then I don't take it. :D

The whole Star Wars thing is on the back of the excitement the first film created in 1977. But all the overwhelming profits and praise people responded with only ended up ensuring it was not preserved and that people can't quite have that experience again. Altered version or old video only. Ironic ain't it. Sigh. :sigh:

25. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

***** SPOILER ALERT *****

Han sings Give Peace A Chance and puts a flower into the the barrel of the blaster. When Guido pulls the trigger, the blaster explodes and kills him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.