Star Wars Episode VII: The Spoilers Awaken

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DreadPikathulhu, Dec 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes. The appropriate themes came up at the appropriate moments.

Ghostworld and PH416156 like this.
  2. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

:D

[​IMG]

Adam9, cwsiggy and FVDnz like this.
  3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I liked the ending as it promised that we'll still have some of the old Star Wars to come. The most important thing Abrams had to do was set up new characters that we love. (I think he did it well. The girl was heroic and pretty and Finn was good comic relief ala Han.) But just the glimpse of Luke says: Don't worry Star Wars fan, there's still more nostalgia to come.

I agree about the committee of Star Wars fan, but I also enjoyed seeing all the old faces. It made me laugh and cheer. I also agree it's no way as rich as "Empire." But as an "awakening" of the original trilogy after all these decades, it was great. Harrison Ford was pretty good. Leia really sounded old. And so did C3PO. His voice sounded aged ... strange for a robot! But the new kids were excellent. I don't see what the point of Daniel Craig or Simon Pegg doing cameos under a costume proves, however. Kind of a waste.

Lord Summerisle and BGLeduc like this.
  4. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I didn't really notice it, until themes from the original showed up. I think this is a good thing. I still remember being very annoyed by the score when I first saw Phantom Menace. It's been a while, but my memory is it just never let up, like the CGI background.

5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I didn't think I was going to recover. It cast a pall over the film all the way to the end for me. Only Luke's appearance made me smile again. That was a well-calculated choice, to save him for the end and clear the pall. Oddly, I predicted that Han might buy it awhile ago, but people said he had been confirmed to appear in Episode VIII. But I doubt it. Unless he shows up as a cameo bathed in glowing light.

6. I just got back from a morning showing in a Regal RPX theater and I thought the score was outstanding. And great sound at my seat.

I also thought the film was outstanding as well. Easily the 3rd best behind SW and Empire.

Bowie Fett and DreadPikathulhu like this.
  7. Clipper Sylvania

Clipper Sylvania L'écharpe d'abricot

I wholly concur. I'll concede that I was at best on-the-fence about the film, trying to accentuate the positive and deemphasize the negative. Unfortunately, any chance the film had for finishing with a thumbs up died in that given scene, faster than the character in question. "Cast a pall" is a very accurate way to describe it.

Given the tepid applause and muted cheering around me, perhaps others shared my view. I've heard more enthusiastic receptions given to Ant-Man, for crying out loud. As for the score, I remember hearing occasional callbacks to the music for the original trilogy, but nothing else made an impression. Perhaps it was a failing of the sound system in the theater I was in.

sunspot42 and Ghostworld like this.
  8. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Same here, I really enjoyed the movie but after that scene I kept thinking "what the f**c, I can't believe they killed off Han Solo. Han Solo dead?!".

Also, I thought Mark Hamill was one of the main actors but he really has a 10 seconds cameo at the end, so I suppose we'll get more Luke in Episode VIII.
    Again, as for Han, as somebody already said, Harrison Ford he's now 73 y.o. and no full guarantee he'll be ready or even interested for the next films so, honestly, it wasn't a bad idea to let him go, from their point of view.
    Imagine writing a plot for Episode VIII and IX fully incorporating Han Solo and for whatever reason they can't have Mr. Ford in the movie. What could they do? Last moment reshoots and/or massive plot changes? Hiring another actor? Nope. Painful choice, but probably right considering everything.
    Actually, I have some hope that Han is not actually dead and may reappear if the conditions are "right" and Mr. Ford is interested and in good shape two years from now....wishful thinking, I know..

Ghostworld likes this.
  9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I think they're shooting right now. So maybe a cameo? It would be odd, though. No flashbacks in Star Wars movies IIRC. It was waaay too sad. Especially at my age. Han made it through to the golden years! To see a childhood hero go? It really hurt.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
    GMDuss likes this.
  10. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Yeah, I read they started filming some scenes for Episode VIII three monts ago.

11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

You know, you're probably right. There were two girls in their 20s beside me and they kept saying things like, "I'm going to be crying in 5 minutes when it starts." And every time another coming attraction came on they practically fainted from exhaustion and anticipation (I admit I haven't been on the edge of my seat waiting for a movie to start like that ... well, ever). But as the movie ended, they didn't even clap. I looked over and they were both sitting there dead quiet, not even smiling. I thought something looked wrong. So, you're probably right about it being an overwhelming emotional event and numbing some audience members. What if they had recently lost a father? Oh, my god.

12. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

We saw the 7:00 crowd coming out of the movie, and I was worried because they did not look elated. I did not understand until I saw it. I loved the movie, but the tragic death of Han Solo at the hands of his own son was hard to come up from.

What is interesting, we all know Kasdan and Ford wanted to kill him in Jedi. Lucas insisted that would not happen, and the movie would have a happy ending.

After all these years, I think he was right. It would have felt like this film (which I loved), but I am now happy that Jedi ended...well, happy. You just feel good at the end of Jedi, and that was a great way to end the original trilogy.

I think it is obvious that this first one focused on Han for old guy involvement.

The 2nd one will focus on Luke for old guy involvement. Hopefully Ren does not get to kill 2 of my heroes! I doubt Leah will be the focus of any of the films.

13. spewey

spewey Senior Member

Based on what I saw last night....I suspect in Episode VIII -- Han Solo will appear as a ghostly figure on a swamp planet where one of the young leads is learning to be a Jedi from an old Jedi master.

Of course, that happens after an opening battle occurs on an ice planet between the resistance and the first order.

Also....I predict Finn will be frozen in some metal like substance...possibly towards the end of the film. :winkgrin:

14. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Good stuff in this one. I was able to go in spoiler-free, aside from the trailers. Any Star Wars fan knows that Han always wanted to die in the original trilogy, so you knew it was coming once he had his final scene with Leia.

I give it a 97/100. Knock off a point for the awkward initial "do you speak first?" convo with Poe + Kylo Ren, and the a-bit-forced comedic attempt when Han tries to nod that Rey is behind Finn. Maybe one more knock for those octopus CGI creatures that attack Han/Finn.

Otherwise, PERFECT! :D It's ok that many plot lines are reused... there are still plenty of 10 year olds that will see such an adventure in the theater for the first time.

15. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Yes, no movie can ever recapture the magic I felt as a 5 year old seeing it at the cinema for the first time back in 1980. As another poster said from that day on it has been a constant in my life, a lot of my childhood memories are intertwined with the Star Wars movies with the toys, books etc . The first movie my brother and I watch when my parents bought a VHS was Star Wars. It played a large role in my childhood and they're all good memories.

Sammy Banderas and marblesmike like this.
  16. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Well now they have Poe in a perfect "young Han Solo" role that can step into the Millennium Falcon next to Chewbacca and have a good time with all of it.

17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I loved them!

18. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Poe doesn't really have the same movie star looks for me. He's kinda odd looking in closeup. I had no idea he was going to turn to be a major character. I thought he was going to buy it in the first scene!

Robert C likes this.
  19. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I'm certain that tens of millions of females around the world disagree with you ;)

20. Lord Summerisle

I have a feeling that creature was what Lucas originally wanted for the Garbage compactor scene in Star Wars.

PH416156 and Ghostworld like this.
  21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

However i have no problem with Ren. :love:

PH416156 and Lord Summerisle like this.
  22. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I am loving the prequel and Lucas defenders all around the net complaining about The Force Awakens being pandering fan fiction. Did they actually watch the Prequels?

I just got back from my second viewing of TFA and this time a regular showing and enjoyed it much more than the 3D from last night. Still 5/5 and the soundtrack that I am listening to right now is amazing also.

My 65 year old parents loved it too. My mom said it made her feel 20 years old until Han showed up and then she realized how old she really is, heh.

sunspot42 and Bowie Fett like this.
  23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

It would have been perfect!! I loved the trash disposal mouth and big googly eyes!

24. Lord Summerisle

She's lovely :D

PH416156 likes this.
  25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

How was the 3D?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.