Star Wars Episode VII: The Spoilers Awaken

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DreadPikathulhu, Dec 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

That's great. I'm taking my elderly mother next week to see it, she took us to all of them as kids.

Allen Michael likes this.
  2. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

It was OK I guess. I don't see many 3D films so I don't really have anything to judge it against. If I had to do it over I would have stuck with the regular showing.

3. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Not after the scene with Leia, but I had a bad feeling about it since started walking towards his son. Did he really have to do it? Nooooooo! This is one of the reasons why, as Chad stated, it cast a pall over the film all the way to the end. When Han watched him walking on that bridge, I thought: "naaaah, they won't let him die". Then he approached him, and I was ready for the bitter end.
    Thinking about, it, I'd say Han's final scene could have been handled better... but of course this movie is going to make $ 1B within a few weeks and my opinion regarding the plot is meaningless :laugh:

trumpet sounds likes this.
  4. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I would have been happy to have the story totally about the young characters with references and maybe cameos for the "old folks". As it was, it worked pretty well and Harrison Ford carried it off well. This was sort of the "GENERATIONS" of the STAR WARS franchise, with a mix of the old guard and the next generation and a prominent old character dying.

Harry

LivingForever likes this.
  5. Lord Summerisle

As soon as Han walked onto that bridge I knew he was done for :( One thing I found odd was Leia blanked Chewbacca on his arrival and went straight to Rey, weird. We didn't really get to see Chewie grieve.

Rubber65, superstar19 and Ghostworld like this.
  6. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Yeah, that was definitely odd! Apparently, spending a few minutes together was enough for Rey and Leia to share an emotional bond, and when they meet again, after Han's death Leia hugs Rey like an old aunt would do with her niece...ooops...:eek:
    ...and sadly, nobody cared for good old Chewbie. :(

Rubber65, Rhett, sunspot42 and 4 others like this.
  7. cubbykat

cubbykat Bringer Of Pain To Your Face

I feel like the nostalgia and probably even the reuse of the "New Hope" plot arc really did serve to underscore that time has moved on and a new generation has taken over - seeing all those destroyed Imperial Destroyers in the sand, burned Darth mask, aged original cast, etc.; the movie is built out of the wreckage from what we all experienced in the '70's and 80's.

8. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Yeah we did--he flipped out after Han died and went on that rampage.

9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

WOW. Great catch. HUGE oversight!!

10. cubbykat

There was that moment of just Chewie alone, in the dark after that scene... in the heat of the moment watching, I took the scene with Leia and Rey as her (Leia) waiting to see if Han would come out of the ship. Wasn't Chewbacca rushing anyway to get Finn to the hospital?

11. Lord Summerisle

Yeah I know he did that but something like Luke Grieving Ben and being consoled by Leia, something like that would have been appropriate.

12. Lord Summerisle

Maybe in hope because she already knew he was gone.

13. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Well, the manner and killer of Han Solo will only fuel the emotion when we experience the characters in the next two movies. It's not like a freighter dropped on his head :)

Sammy Banderas and PH416156 like this.
  14. Lord Summerisle

He didn't even get a medal in ANH!! :realmad:

15. cubbykat

Ah, that's right... she had that "I feel a great disturbance in the force... like a thousand lives have been silenced" or whatever moment after Han bought it.

16. cubbykat

It's kind of brilliant because no matter how much undercurrent there could be for Kylo Ren being redeemed, will the audience ever forgive him? How do you come back from that? And if that wasn't the plan anyway, doesn't get much darker than that...

17. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

Love the cameo by the dudes from The Raid/Raid 2.

Love when Finn is picking through stuff in the Falcon and finds and tosses the training remote that Luke used for lightsaber practice.

18. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

:laugh:

I want to buy a Kylo Ren action figure just to smash it against the wall while screaming "how could you do it...:cussing:"
    ...go figure...

19. Lord Summerisle

I didn't notice that at all! Going to see it again in an hour.

20. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I want the blu-ray now.

Bowie Fett, Song4U, Robert C and 3 others like this.
  21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

What was really bad was the new "emperor" or whoever the giant projection was of (I did notice a "Vader"-like jagged scar on his head) . For a movie of this status, that was the best CGI they could do? It was two steps behind Gollum (which it resembled).

sunspot42 and Mark Nelson like this.
  22. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

So was Chewie's lack of medal at end of ANH.

No love from Leia :shrug:

Ghostworld likes this.
  23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I'll go tonight. I was so happy when this wealthy/spoiled good-looking couple walked in 5 minutes before showtime and looked disgusted about there only being front row seats and left. Bwah! I had waited in line 3 hours!

24. Lord Summerisle

I guess because it was a hologram it was that way. I'm sure when we see him in the flesh it'll be much better.

Bowie Fett and Ghostworld like this.
  25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Maybe Leia doesn't like wookies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.