Star Wars Episode VII: The Spoilers Awaken

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DreadPikathulhu, Dec 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

She did a great job. Probably the best acting in the movie.

sunspot42 and Sondek like this.
  2. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I think he looks really right for the part. He's acted in other stuff and his acting is fine.

3. He's awful in that performance. It's an "impression". Impressions rarely make good performances.

4. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

If he colored his hair, he would look like a young Han Solo. I do think it's kinda weird that this guy puts his own Han Solo impersonation up on YouTube, though. Then again, who doesn't do that these days?

5. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

One thing that I did notice on the extras, when Carrie Fisher was talking; she doesn't sound very good. Not her voice, it's the way she speaks. Like she has cotton in her mouth or something. Which reminded me of a conversation on a thread somewhere about why she didn't get more time in the movie. It's well known that she has shock treatments and who knows what else, and I'm not trying to mock her or make fun of her. I'm just saying that I have to believe that some of the reason why she didn't get more time is because of the way she 'sounds'. There's a deleted scene of hers too, that didn't help her any, in my opinion. The acting seemed kinda off.

6. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

This one's weirder.... I think he's good though.

7. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Ingruber played the younger version of Harrison's character in a recent movie, The Age of Adaline -- probably a better place to see him than that clip, although he isn't reading Han Solo's dialogue.

8. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I think it's work she's had done on her teeth. I've heard other people who've had new ones put in, that are different in shape to the previous ones - longer, and it has them sounding different. I'd say it's the same thing with her.

9. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

very surprised there is a picture of Luke on the back cover of the blu ray

JediJoker likes this.
  10. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

I just watched the bluray and I didn't see her hug Chewie there at the end.

However, the scene that I felt had changed was the "same jacket/new jacket" exchange between Leia and Han. I thought I remembered from my theater viewings that the camera faced each actor as they said their line – not the wide, far away shot that's on the bluray/DVD. Weird. Am I the only one?

11. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

I think she hugs him the first time she sees him. Then the original scene later is different (this is all from memory)

12. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

i remember it that way also

13. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

Oh sure, she did hug him right after that "same jacket/new jacket" exchange. But not at the end – she only interacts with Rey.

14. Harvest Your Thoughts

Is that different from the theatrical release? It seemed fine to me. I remember her pushing past chewie but it doesn't happen on the bluray. The whole thing seems fine and makes sense now.I don't see why people wrote articles saying it was handled poorly...

15. Squealy

No, that exchange was in a long shot.

16. Squealy

She didn't "push past" him, she just didn't interact with him. He was carrying Finn to the medics.

17. Harvest Your Thoughts

Had she already hugged him?

18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think it's very likely that Rey was part of Luke's "Jedi Academy" at a young age and had some training but doesn't overtly remember it. Subconsciously it comes back to her as the movie progresses.

Or it's just a leap of logic that the filmmakers used because it was a fun scene that accomplished plot movement! Like I said earlier, the "Star Wars" series ain't the place to go for consistency! :D

19. Clipper Sylvania

Clipper Sylvania L'écharpe d'abricot

If I may:
    Jakku doesn't seem like the kind of place to have the Star Wars equivalent of CNN or the BBC World Service, much less the History Channel, to drill a condensed version of what exactly happened into the public consciousness via repetition. Skywalker's actions and qualities beyond "he one-shot a Death Star" may very well be the equivalent of the highest state secrets in that universe, especially if his efforts to restart the Jedi went pear-shaped.

Remember: Skywalker, Organa, Solo and Chewbacca are principal heroes of a revolution that knocked off the greatest military and political entity ever seen in that galaxy. For comparison, how would Americans in 1813 respond to meeting President George Washington? I wouldn't be surprised to see a similar reaction from the American there as we did from Rey in the picture. (Set aside for a minute the fact that President Washington had been dead for quite some time by 1813.)

For a less charitable take, one could always say that from Kylo Ren to Hux to Rey, it might appear that the Galactic Civil War had a nasty dysgenic effect on the populace.

20. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

Just finished watching the set. FUN. The film still feels fresh (after my 12th viewing). The documentary is excellent.

sgtmono likes this.
  21. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

Short but fun.

mmars982 likes this.
  22. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

There's been some discussion elsewhere regarding the end credits being somehow different. Some folks swear that the end credits on home video are different from what appeared in theaters. The home video credits are reported as being somehow longer, with a music cue replaced or missing.

Harry

23. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Watched all of the bonus features on the BD *other* than the 70-minute documentary (ran out of time) last night. Some interesting stuff, but it's pretty "meh" (at best) selection of bonus features for such a major release. I presume a bigger super-deluxe version (or versions) will make it out sooner or later. But yeah, kind of hard to hide how stingy they're being when there was supposedly a four-hour cut of the film, but they provide about FOUR minutes of deleted scenes.

I also find it funny how it appears pretty obvious that they purposely added a likely fake "timecode" to the deleted scenes; the timecode starts at exactly "1:00:00:00" (or whatever it is; a round "1" number in any event) on every scene. Are they trying to keep fans from cutting those scenes back into the film and making a little "director's cut" style thing or something?

The other stuff was moderately interesting but pretty EPK-style. Cool to see all the "practical effect" creatures, but it makes you wonder why they bothered when they barely showed any of it.

24. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

The Rouge One movie trailer came out today.....

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
    Daniel Plainview likes this.
  25. Squealy

It's normal for movies to have first cuts that are that long, before they refine them. It doesn't mean there were 90 minutes of deleted scenes, just that there was lots of flab in all the scenes before they were tightened up.

JediJoker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.