Star Wars: Episode VII

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bowie Fett, Feb 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I enjoyed J. J. Abrams first Star Trek reboot quite a bit. I thought it was a fun, exciting movie. However tonight I was watching his second effort, Star Trek into Darkness and there aren't really any great moments in the film. In fact, visually and directorially it's pretty mundane. When a true cinematic visionary like Spielberg came onto the scene, you could see it in his films. There was style, there was a cinematic panache that leaped off the screen. Scenes gripped you and thrilled you with their clever construction and visual choices. I'm not always seeing or feeling that with JJ Abrams. I think he's a good producer and is talented with stories and getting good performances, but I'm underwhelmed with him in the classic sense of a director being able to put bits of celluloid together in stunning ways. Star Trek into Darkness is very pedestrian in it's direction, hardly any better constructed or inspiring than a high-budgeted television production. Yes, there are multimillion dollar effects and sets, but he doesn't really do anything unique with them, at least nothing that raises the hair on the back of your neck and makes you say "Wow...." I also noticed in Super 8 that he did a great job with the characters, but that he wasn't that good at handling the action sequences (train crash aside). Again, I think he can put together a good film, and I think he'll be good at producing the new Star Wars, but I almost wish someone else was directing after watching Into Darkness. But I guess if the new Star Wars is a character-dependent film he will be a good choice. The original Star Wars movies were that way -- strong on story and character --- so I certainly hope this new one won't succumb to a modern dependence on action, which Abrams apparently isn't always capable of delivering.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  2. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Fear leads to the dark side.

Vidiot and Ghostworld like this.
  3. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

You've got a whole great big galaxy and you go back to the same boring desert planet again! The beautiful thing about The Empire Strikes Back is that it introduced new environments and suggested there were many more worlds to explore. Let's hope there some of that in these sequels, and that the new worlds don't look like Blade Runner.

4. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Nope, don't know a thing about 'em.

Or Dubai... But, it could be a new another boring desert planet or a new another Blade Runner urbandystopiascape! :D

So far I'm surprised at how good things look to me, from what little is being deliberately let out. Also, if it is starting at the same place, these folks (a few cast and composer excepted) didn't make the first ones, so it might be good creatively for them to touch base, as it were, with making something akin to the original before taking off to places of their own invention.

5. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

The old man broke a leg not an ankle.....that's just sad.

6. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Vidiot and lbangs like this.
  7. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Just in case you didn't read the story and instead decided on making a snarky ageist comment, the door of the Millennium Falcon fell onto his leg. I'm pretty sure if a heavy set piece fell on your leg you'd be injured too.

8. Smiths22

I'm 40 this year and my father 70 do you want to talk about age kid?. Ford is a senior old man and you can't deny that even if you want to falsely believe that he's still on his 30 like in the old movies.
    I'm pretty sure if a set piece fell on your head i'd feel a little worried too but only a little.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  9. Quark1134

Quark1134 Forum Resident

So has his leg been set in carbonite while it heals?

:hide:

10. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

Since I love all three of Johnson's previous films, I'm thrilled he'll be directing VIII.

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

11. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I don't think he's still 30, I just have noticed people seem to leaning towards a 'see, he's too old to do Star Wars, he got injured!'

12. Smiths22

I don't think he's too old to do Star Wars, he's a great actor with a great personality who's got injured that's all, don't get me wrong when i said "old man" i wasn't leaning towards something i was only stating the truth he's a senior citizen. I love Ford and Starwars except Jar Jar of course.

marblesmike likes this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

People thought Sir Alec Guinness was old when he did the first Star Wars: he was "only" 62 when he first played Obiwan Kenobi, which is a decade younger than Harrison Ford, as old as Mark Hammil, and only slightly older than Carrie Fisher are right now.

14. Smiths22

yeah and wait for Max Von Sydow....... 85!!!

[​IMG]

We are so lucky to have him he's as good or even better than Alec.

noahjld, fitzysbuna and lbangs like this.
  15. spewey

spewey Senior Member

Did Harrison Ford get injured while shooting the Millennium Falcon's underwater scene? :D

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

They needed somebody who would look old standing next to Harrison Ford! :sigh:

Smiths22 likes this.
  17. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

And with a limp!

18. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

Agreed. I liked Looper in the theater and just saw and liked Brick. I hope Joseph Gordon-Levitt is involved as he was a tremendous asset to the directors previous films.

As Roger Ebert said in his review of Brick:

This movie leaves me looking forward to the director's next film; we can say of Rian Johnson, as somebody once said about a dame named Brigid O'Shaughnessy, "You're good. You're very good."

Solaris and lbangs like this.
  19. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

You must have missed Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back!

[​IMG]

20. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

Harrison Ford to return to U.S. for six months of rehab

http://www.express.co.uk/news/showb...-return-to-U-S-for-six-months-of-rehab-report

The Indiana Jones actor was first thought to have fractured his ankle during filming in England earlier this month (Jun14), when his foot was crushed by the door of a spacecraft prop.
    However, his injury turned out to be a broken leg, with reports suggesting he would be out of action for up to eight weeks. It has now emerged that he will not be able to return to film Star Wars: Episode VII for six months as he needs rehab treatment for his left limb, which was fixed with a number of metal plates during surgery this week (beg16Jun14).
    A source tells The Sun newspaper, "Shooting is continuing, but Harrison won't be back for months... the film
    company is looking into extending filming well into the second half of this year to allow Ford time to get back on his feet."
    Ford is still receiving treatment at a hospital in England but will fly back to Los Angeles with his actress wife Calista Flockhart to work with a physiotherapist, according to editors at the publication.

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

DOH! Six months out will kill any chance the movie has of coming out for Christmas 2016. Unless they shoot the whole thing with a stand-in, send everybody home (who needed to be in the scene with him), and then bring them all back in December. What a mess!

It's never good when a significant actor gets injured during a production. It sets up a domino effect of problems: he might have been booked to do another film in a few months, and now that's going to have to be pushed back, which affects financing, other studio jobs, and other release dates. Big mess.

22. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

"As they say in show business..."

But seriously, I hope Harrison Ford makes a full recovery. An awful time for him.

Also hopefully they take a patient approach and can re-arrange the logistics/finances to "do it right," as should be the perspective at Disney. At this point it won't make much difference whether it comes out in 2016 or 2018. Long as it's good.

23. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

Maybe this will make things work out for the better if it gives them extra time to work on the film, and if it results in a traditional Star Wars release date of May (2016).

24. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

extra time? On a movie?

25. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I agree it should be delayed to May 2016. Star Wars coming out during the Holidays just seems wrong.

sgtmono likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.