Star Wars: Episode VII

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bowie Fett, Feb 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

This looks CGI to me.

2. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I don't think so, particularly looking at the sky, the brief glimpse at the beginning of the forest in the background. I think the wide angle lens used and its distortion makes it appear kind of CGI.

3. Hagstrom

Perhaps it's my monitor, but the entire thing seems CGI. The sky looks fake, and I have a hard time believing that they spent that much time and money making the Falcon real. And if the whole thing is real, who made the Batmobile?

4. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

But they did! On set photos have shown the recreated Falcon already (actually just the camera side half).

5. Hagstrom

I know they built half of the real Falcon as I've been following this thread, but there is such a level of detail in this video it's hard to imagine.

But hey, if this video is real, there's a TREMENDOUS amount of vivid detail the crew put into this.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  6. Hagstrom

Do you think this video is CGI or real?

7. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

100% real. Beyond just what my eyes tell me, JJ has been vocal in advocacy of practical FX and sets for the new Star Wars. Though I fully expect a lot of CGI in the final movie (to enhance and expand the scope of the model work, etc), I think it would be very odd for him to use an epic CGI shot in the early publicity, let alone just for a gag!

It is funny how we both saw the same thing (the insane level of detail) and came to completely different conclusions. That's life, in a nutshell.

Deesky and Vidiot like this.
  8. Hagstrom

I think he WOULD use CGI for these gags - it's cheaper than using film!

9. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Well, he probably didn't use film for the gag, just a a cheap handheld video (maybe even phone camera). After all, if you have the prop built, what could be cheaper than walking past it with your iPhone for 30 or so seconds?

Ultimately, I'm convinced it's real and I bet he jumped at an excuse to show it off. If MY team build that, I'd certainly be proud!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  10. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

The sky looks fake?

This looks like a physical object to me, and the sky looks genuine to these bleary eyes...

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

11. Hagstrom

I'm on a different computer and the sky looks much better on this.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  12. jedilips00

jedilips00 non-exist-ent

Too bad Abrams-Snyder isn't quite on the same level as Lucas-Spielberg. Love Abrams. Think Snyder is a complete hack and bad for blockbuster movies. It bums me out to see Abrams playing down to Snyder's level.

lbangs likes this.
  13. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

I assumed it was CGI at first, but after a closer look and considering your comments, I believe it is the real thing.

I'd say this counts as an official teaser!

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No, actually it's much more expensive and more time-consuming to do it as VFX. Shooting it live would take maybe an hour, assuming the set is already built; doing VFX on a continuous :30 second piece without a cut, in full perspective with this level of detail would take at least a week.

nbakid2000 likes this.
  15. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Funny, I've always thought JJ was a hack. Do two hacks make a genius?

Not to mention that right at the beginning, there appear to be tops of people's heads (lower left as the camera pans down then across).

16. matthew5

matthew5 Forum Resident

So Batman will be in the next Star Wars....Cool! :edthumbs:

17. winojunko76

winojunko76 Forum Resident

It officially has a title. "The Force Awakens"

[​IMG]

18. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

[​IMG]

nbakid2000 and sgtmono like this.
  19. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

That title is...

20. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

It's a beginning title. It has a has a very similar feel to "A New Hope." They're both subtle titles which is appropriate for the beginning of a trilogy.

21. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

"The Force Awakens...Then Saw The Prequels And The Special Editions And Went Back To Sleep"

benjaminhuf likes this.
  22. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

Rejected title;

Princess Leia - Whaaa happened!!!!!!

23. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

My first impression of the title is that is sounds bland, not "snappy" like all the other titles in the series.

But, it is starting to grow on me. It's a fitting title for the revival of the franchise, and it could have multiple meanings.

It is only a title, and it will mean a lot more once we have an actual movie attached to it! Or even a teaser trailer...

lbangs likes this.
  24. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

So true. If we first heard any of the subtitles today, I daresay as adults we likely would have snickered at all of them...

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

sgtmono likes this.
  25. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Too easy. Not impressed.

[​IMG]

benjaminhuf likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.