Star Wars: Episode VII

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bowie Fett, Feb 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

bru87tr likes this.
  2. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

It's tempting to gush about this new trailer, and there are some interesting bits, but the second time I watched it I thought, "they'd better have a good villain for this trilogy." One thing about the originals was that we had Vader, a really compelling bad guy, to root against through all three films (the first two especially). The prequels had potential with Darth Maul, an incredibly charismatic character that Lucas foolishly underused and then dispatched after one film.

I won't go so far as to say that the prequels could have been fixed simply by having a single strong villain, because the problems with those films are legion. What I do hope is that JJ Abrams has absorbed what made the 77-83 films work, along the elegance and simplicity that have made Star Wars and Empire endure as examples of good visual storytelling. Whatever the case, I'll be there opening night.

Rubber65 and bru87tr like this.
  3. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

How long before they can mass market the BB8 robot that we can buy?

bru87tr likes this.
  4. entropyfan

entropyfan Forum Resident

I guess wookies don't go gray.

spindly and bru87tr like this.
  5. JWew

JWew Currently thinking of a clever Custom Title...

Seeing Han and Chewie in that classic OT pose (Chewie hunched over with the bowcaster ready for action, along with Han and his pistol ready for action) at the end - on the Falcon - with a great line "Chewie, we're home". Ah man, that got me right in the ticker.

Everything that has come out about this movie has looked amazing! That new, little BB-8 droid is even incredible (I want one!).

My earliest childhood memory is seeing the original Star Wars when it first came out and this new one truly has that OT feel again. I can't wait!
    (Related sidenote: my avatar on here is the first album I ever owned)

Front 242 Addict and bru87tr like this.
  6. DreadPikathulhu

Eventually they do, but they buy a lot of Grecian Formula to maintain their youthful image.

[​IMG]

Luke The Drifter and steveharris like this.
  7. ScaramangaFran

ScaramangaFran Forum Resident

I’m not the biggest Star Wars fan, but I got teary eyed watching that new trailer. It looks absolutely amazing.

8. DreadPikathulhu

Mine as well, and I just realized that I probably played it hundreds of times, which is why I can't remember seeing Star Wars in the theater before the re-release in '97.

I also had the double-album John Williams score, which I also played to death. I still have both of them but they are unplayable due to the scratches.

JWew likes this.
  9. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

If Anakin is a force ghost, then technically he's still 'alive'.

This trailer was incredible. Seeing the Star Destroyer in the sand was unreal. And the chrome stormtrooper...yikes!

Lownote30 likes this.
  10. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

Early on, there was a leaked piece of concept art which showed a cyborg looking dude holding Vader's burnt helmet. At the time, we could have only hoped that it was going to be a real scene in the movie; looks like it's actually going to happen. All of the things that I've read point in the same direction, that Kylo Ren is some kind of collector, hence the rough looking lightsaber.

Jason Manley likes this.
  11. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Grunge Master likes this.
  12. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I will be taking my son to see this. He'll be 6 when it comes out but he's a Star Wars nut. My wife is worried that it will be too scary for him but I convinced her that this will be a magical experience for him. It's essential that he see this on the big screen.

13. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Woke up to a notification on my mobile from my cousin linking me the trailer. Quickly ran to the pc and watched it. I got goosebumps watching that, Star Wars was my entire childhood. I'm having a nerdgasm right now!! Loved the trailer.

Rocker, bru87tr and Tristero like this.
  14. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

The Complete Saga is back ordered on amazon.com for 10-14 days and bestbuy.com shows it as not being available for shipping. I guess the trailer is doing its purpose and getting people excited.

15. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

feeling the magic from that little clip...

bru87tr and Lord Summerisle like this.
  16. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

I'm a big Star Wars fan. It came out when I was 8. I admit I got choked up and teary eyed as you say when I watched this trailer. This is my childhood.

Rocker likes this.
  17. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

18. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Wookies live for hundreds of years, apparently.

19. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

I gotta say as an original Star Wars kid, I'm not feeling it. Looks like a Michael Bay movie. But that's just me.
    It's going to be hard to replicate the magic of the originals in terms of the actors and characters. And that's where the prequels went wrong, imo.

Solaris likes this.
  20. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

The new stormtroopers don't look quite right. modernized?

[​IMG]

21. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Goosebumps for me.

bru87tr likes this.
  22. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

The new film takes place 30 years after the events of Return Of The Jedi, so I'm sure they went through some design changes over the decades.

bru87tr likes this.
  23. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Is that a new emperor type guy way in the back under the Nazi flag?

24. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I was 6 when I first watched A New Hope on TV. Definitely wasn't too scary for me at the time, but the new one might be much darker.
    I was so excited I then spent a sleepless night imagining I was flying an X-Wing.

25. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Nobody seems to have noticed that it's an alien hand that gives Anakin's lightsaber to (presumably) Leia.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.