Star Wars: Episode VII

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bowie Fett, Feb 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I think this will be an epic blockbuster hit.

2. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

And with the original cast and most movie tickets costing over ten bucks, this will be the biggest box office draw of all time.

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Though there's always the possibility it will suck.

There's a great moment in the documentary The People vs. George Lucas where the fans go out to see Phantom Menace for the first time, and as they're leaving the theater, they're all a little bit in shock and they say, "gee, was this movie really that bad? Maybe we have to see it again to be sure." They go back and see it again, and then they come out completely dejected and say, "god, that really, really was bad."

Disney is a very calculating, demanding studio, so I would bet that they had a lot of input on what's been done in the script. Though Abrams is an A-list director, I suspect he's really under their thumb in terms of what he can do and how far he can go with the characters and story. And I wouldn't be surprised if he asks Lucas for some input (pro and con). But it's a gamble, no matter what.

Kuzronk likes this.
  4. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I want it to be great. I really do. Abrams and Disney have a lot of pressure on them to say the least.

Lightening is very very hard to catch in a bottle twice.

May the fo..

..ok ..ok, I wont say it

*goes back to rearranging my SW figurine collection*...

Kuzronk likes this.
  5. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Better yet, you could take drunks off Skid Row and they could do better...

6. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Those two things are unfortunately not mutually exclusive…which is why so much cr@p gets made nowadays...

7. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

I'm going to guess 1.4 billion worldwide - great but not ginormous. I'm also going to guess 77% tomatometer. You heard it here first.

8. Jamiroquai

Jamiroquai Forum Resident

I just want Star Wars to be fun and have a sense of adventure again. To me, that's what the prequels are missing.

mpayan, Jvalvano and Kuzronk like this.
  9. GeoffC

GeoffC Forum Resident

In my view, one of the things the new film needs is less CGI than the prequels, and to be more Firefly like as a space saga. Real people as 'characters' will help!

10. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

But it's not so much a question of the characters as it is the actors. Hamill and Fisher were never great actors to begin with and by now they've lost some of the qualities that made them appealing in the original films--youth and good looks. I enjoy some of Hamill's voice work, but that's a very different matter than actually appearing on the screen, reprising such a famous character. Even Harrison Ford's career has gone stale by this point and I'm not at all sure that he can convincingly rekindle Han's roguish charm. Can these actors successfully anchor a revitalization of the old franchise or will their presence only serve to bog things down? It would have been one thing to feature them in little cameos, but I'm not excited by the prospect of them appearing in substantial roles here.

Solaris and SizzleVonSizzleton like this.
  11. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

The original movie was great! Empire was cool. And then they made a bunch more. It would be cool if they could get back the original mojo.

mdm08033 likes this.
  12. music4life

music4life Senior Member

I kind of doubt he could withstand filming a major motion picture at this point. He's now 77 and has numerous health problems (including a chronic bad back, which caused him to bow out of the current season of "Dancing with the Stars".

13. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

I didn't know that. That's too bad.

14. allnoyz

allnoyz Forum Resident

The only thing that worries me is that Abrams is directing. I know many folks swear by his Star Trek reboot, but I couldn't even finish the first one. It was just...bad.

15. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

All I ask is that it have the same sensibilities of Episode 4 and 5, and a great score.

16. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

The score should be the best sure bet with old themes and some new ones. Less cgi is key. Watch Empire Strikes Back and it's almost 35 years and yeah the special effects are old school but still holdup IMO but you barely notice it because the story and the pace is just incredible.

17. allnoyz

allnoyz Forum Resident

I hate to say it, but I think the less CGI thing is a pipe dream.

CGI is basically what all movies are anymore. And to be perfectly honest, the CGI of episodes II and III was incredibly impressive. It was the writing and the acting that was painful. You can combine the heart and fun of the original trilogy with monster CGI and still have a great movie.

18. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

You're right J. J. Knows the balance must be the story and acting and if you can imagine it ILM can do anything

allnoyz likes this.
  19. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Kathleen Kennedy has said that they are going old school in conjunction with CGI, and some of the photos of props and models in this thread seem to support that claim.

20. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

His first one was bad, and the second one was even worse. Odds are in favor that JJ will ruin this new SW film. The only thing that gives me any hope is that Lawrence Kasdan is involved in the project.

Derek

21. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I dont know (and its past history of course) but one of the things that was appealing to me in New Hope and Empire was that the ships all looked beat to hell. Like they had seen real action. The prequels were just too clean and sleek. Didnt seem to *feel* like I was in a SW setting.

sgtmono likes this.
  22. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

with prequels I expected a massive fight between Jedi and the dar
    the number III cgi was awful ! especially the last fight scene ! the cgi in lord of rings was ten times better !

23. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

No matter "good" the CGI is, it still looks like animation. Gollum in Lord of the Rings looked like a fancy cartoon. Watching human characters interact with CGI characters is like watching Who Framed Roger Rabbit?.

music4life likes this.
  24. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Okay, so what would you have liked them to do to give us Gollum instead?

A puppet (any kind of puppet) wouldn't have been able to do the movements necessary (and they wouldn't have looked as good) and a human actor in makeup can't be as emaciated and small as Gollum is.

I think Gollum looks outstanding and is the best example of a fully-realized CGI character so far.

wolfram and supermd like this.
  25. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

There was a picture of Hamill on the web this week in a London Gym. Looks like he's getting is shape nicely. Looks a lot fitter than he did last year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.