Star Wars: Episode VIII (The Last Jedi) - SPOILERS POSSIBLE*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MLutthans, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Claudio Dirani likes this.
  2. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

If the original cast is included, I hope nobody dies off (in real life) before they can film it.

ponkine and Rhett like this.
  3. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Great to hear. May of 2017 will be coming fast.

4. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

IG-88

5. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

6. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

7. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I hope John Williams will still be with us to score Episodes VIII and IX. That's all I ask.

scobb, Mr. H, Vidiot and 1 other person like this.
  8. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

There's a new "Star Wars" movie coming out every year until (possibly) 2020.
    2016 - Rogue One (which takes place between III & IV; currently filming)
    2017 - Episode VIII (filming begins in the Spring)
    2018 - Han Solo movie
    2019 - Episode IX
    2020 - Possible Boba Fett movie(!)

driverdrummer likes this.
  9. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Star Wars Episode VIII: The Force Takes a Nap

10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yes. There will be an Anthology movie in 2020 for sure. I'm pretty sure it will be a Boba Fett movie.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

2021 -- Whipping a dead ton-ton.

12. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I will not be surprised if we see Episodes 10, 11, and 12 starting in 2021. Disney is going to do everything they can to get their $4 billion investment back as quickly as possible.

klockwerk likes this.
  13. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Might get it back sooner then later.:agree:

14. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I think that depends on how popular the new cast turns out to be with audiences. We're reaching the point where some of the older original cast may simply be too old (or no longer with us) to carry that particular story line any further. So unless, say, Finn and Rey become huge stars/characters in their own right, I suspect we'll see more "anthology" movies centered around existing/popular characters.

15. shokhead

16. shokhead

With its global bow now at a record $529 million, "Star Wars'" box office success will undoubtedly afford its cast members heftier pay raises on their next projects, but just how much were "The Force Awakens" actors paid to be a part of a galaxy far, far away?

Sources tell Variety Harrison Ford came away the big winner earning a paycheck in the 8 figure range ($15 million to $20 million) to reprise his role of Han Solo in the Disney and Lucasfilm sequel. On Monday, the Daily Mail released a report saying that Ford earned $25 million to return to the "Star Wars" franchise and while insiders stress that number is too high, they do confirm Solo earned a substantially bigger cut than his co-stars.

Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher made salaries in the low-seven figure range. Newcomers John Boyega and Daisy Ridley were paid in the low-six figure range ($100k-$300k).

17. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Like Sam Worthington and Zoe Saldana with Avatar they can both look forward to hefty pay increases moving forward. The newcomers pretty much carried the new Star Wars along with the new improved R2D2 - BB-8.

LivingForever and progrocker71 like this.
  18. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

The new cast was the best part of The Force Awakens, I think the franchise has strong characters to build on going forward.

LivingForever likes this.
  19. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Are these all going to be December releases? Are the traditional May release dates for Star Wars movies a thing of the past?

20. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

VIII is coming out in May of 2017.

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

22. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

You're right but hey it's Star Wars.........

CrazyCatz, Sondek and Vidiot like this.
  23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm in the camp of generally liking Star Wars, but the Disney machinery is an evil Force to be reckoned with. I think there's a reason why J.J. Abrams only agreed to direct one film and then got the hell out.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Agreed. Furthermore, this is not something like, say, the "Lord of the rings" movies; all helmed by one director having almost full control (Jackson's wife also was writer and producer) and filmed back to back with some reshoots at a later date. Abrams is a very bright guy (lens flares contribute to his brightness, no doubt :p) and, imho, he knew making all three new movies would take him 6-7 years of his life fully working for Disney, possibly ending hating everything Star Wars-related.
    A fresh guy making each of the new movies was the best thing to do. I can only imagine the endless negotiations and legal stuff that everybody has to agree with, in order to get every single scene done.
    Abrams realized a childhood dream, got a good paycheck+bonus points, made a movie that's probably going to gross $1B in two weeks. What could have he said: thank you and goodbye. Next; just call me as a consultant or producers and we're all happy.

progrocker71 likes this.
  25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Officially, Abrams has said he wanted to stay close to his three children as they grew up (in California) and he didn't want to have to live in England for the next 6 years letting them grow up there. Unofficially, my suspicion is that he had to answer to a lot of different bosses and he'd rather be in control of his own destiny (and his own projects) and call all the shots -- which I totally understand. Disney has already hired other directors for the sequels and Star Wars VIII and IX.

That is true, but again, this is a case where I like the movie but the studio kinda makes me wince at the intensity of their endless cross-promotions. Even Lucas had limits on stuff he didn't want to authorize. I mean, jesus, there's Dodge commercials going on for Star Wars. And please show me where there's a Dodge charger driving around in The Force Awakens...

You can't tell me they needed to tie in the movie to these stupid cars.

ianuaditis and PH416156 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.