Star Wars: Episode VIII (The Last Jedi) - SPOILERS POSSIBLE*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MLutthans, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

You are right there are legitimate gripes to be had with the movie and people who disliked it shouldn't feel like they need to not express that. You are a prime example of someone who gave it an honest appraisal, realized the movie didn't work for them, stated as such, and did it in a thoughtful adult manner. You didn't call anyone who does like the movie " Dizney shills" and " not real Star Wars fans!". Most of the ones who disliked it here seem to fall in your camp. We can agree to disagree and respect each other.

However sadly you and most of the desenters on here seem to be in the minority here in terms of negative apprasal of this movie on the internet as most of the YouTube videos, Facebook posts, Instagram comment sections, etc, are unfortunately filled with the comments of people who are acting like petulant children. To me anyone who mentions " my childhood" and " rape" or " murder" and this movie ( or ANY movie, Star Wars or not) in the same sentence clearly have their perspective out of wack, and I find that many of these people, when you read more into their views of the movie, seem to hate it because it didn't meet their personal head Canon or didn't give them over powered Luke Skywalker blowing things up, or because " SJW's are ruining my Star Wars!" Or a number of ridiculous reasons that does call into question the maturity and mental stability of some of these people.

Those people? Yeah I think they deserve a bit of ridicule. There's a difference between " I gave this movie an honest chance and it just doesn't work for me. Pass." And "Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson should be shot for raping my childhood by killing my childhood hero! **** Diznee! They should have killed that Fat Asian bitch instead of my Luke! Anyone who doesn't feel the same way I do is either lying to themselves or are payed off by Diznee! Star Wars is ruined for everyone forevah!"*

The former ( you and most of the people that have posted here) deserves respect and we can all have a mature debate and be friends.

The later deserves ...Well... Something like this.....

*And this isn't hyperbole, but a distillation of several comments on several YouTube videos bashing the movie that I've had the displeasure of reading. It's truly toxic, childish and ridiculous.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  2. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I appreciate that. Thank you.

But some of the ridicule on the thread seems just as immature as the ones being accused. And whether or not its meant that way, after so many times of hearing it when others on the thread disagree with TLJ being a good movie, it comes across as putting anyone who doesnt like the movie as a dimwit. There arent folks here on this thread that are dimwits as far as I can tell. But when you see the ridicule follow directly after posts that dont like the movie, it sure seems to me its a bit of a backhanded eyeroll and a lumping of anyone who disagrees as an idiot clutching their Luke Skywalker figure in their moms basement with cheeto stains on their OT tshirt.

I think most here know that Youtube is a site that more and more has become exaggerated drama. Youtube isnt exactly something to base the totality of anything on. And really who knows what the majority of SWs fans who did not like the movie are like? This pointing a finger and saying "What a bunch of nutters!" simply groups the entire fan base of dissenters into that group. And its probably fairly small in comparison to those who reasonably disagree with TLJ being a good movie.

For example, at work there are probably 10-15 co-workers that are pretty hard core fans. I had no idea until TFA and TLJ came out that underneath those labcoats and scrubs were original Star Wars t-shirts and r2d2 pendant necklaces! Im kidding of course, but these guys are some fairly knowledgable fans.

Id say 3/4 if them disliked the movie. Some of the reasons were even deeper thought out than many here. And they are legitimate. Not one of those guys even thought of some sexist thing with the female characters. Nor were they simply saying "Its not like muh OT..waaah...!" Im not even certain theyd know what SJW even means. I had to look it up myself. They judged the movie based upon current standards and stated varied opinions from "prety good in places" to "yeah, I dont think it had much substance" to "I hope the next ones better."

My point being is that I would imagine that the oddballs and weirdos that are focused upon concering youtube vids and the like are not neccessarily the majority of Star Wars fans. And though one workplace does not a fanbase make, its funny to me I havent met one nutter in the bunch. But according to the tone of the ridicule on this thread youd think thats all there are among the ones who dont like the movie.

The above isnt meant directly toward you. Its simply an opinion as to what I see the thread as being many times.

Its about as silly as me saying "Those Last Jedi fans. They must have Ryan Johnson statues that say "Ryan is muh hero..him brought my true Star Wars backs...!" Yes, I agree that the youtube vids and quotes from RT and IMB are many times ridiculous. But even at thise sites you can find just as many who are reasonable and present well thought out debates.

Anyway, it is just a movie and those are just my thoughts.

3. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Sorry for all the spelling errors. My fingers are too big for this phone :D

David Campbell likes this.
  4. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

Fans who care more about the romantic relationSHIPs between the characters than the plot.

5. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

6. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

i finally saw it this weekend :wave:. enjoyed it very much. i give it a :righton:

7. David Campbell

No worries. Believe me, I can sympathize! :)

8. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Keith V likes this.
  9. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

I dunno. I don't think you should be required to read tie-in comics or books to see the whole picture or fill in the blanks.

jeroemba likes this.
  10. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

The first 25 minutes feature Rian, the next 90 is just a panel discussion between the Empire Magazine podcast people.

11. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

12. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Sure, every Star Wars movie should be 16 hours long, and no kid since 1977 ever used action figures and playsets to fill in the blanks for themselves....

Sammy Banderas, Jim B. and Keith V like this.
  13. David Campbell

There's a trade off. Either you give time to exposition and risk bogging down the narrative in minutia, or you don't and just tell the story. If you want minutia and every gap filled, there are the books and other resources.

I for one do wish they devoted more time in TFA on at least clarifying the political situation in the Galaxy regarding The New Republic, The First Order and the Resistance. They did shoot that material but that was cut because Abrams was mindful of the complaints about the prequels being too exposition heavy. So it was cut. I believe it was to it's detriment, but I have a sneaking suspicion that had those scenes been included you would have heard the complaints that it wasn't needed.its really a no win.

14. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I think they should have flipped the script more and made the First Order a "rebellion" type of guerilla/terrorist outfit attacking the big and powerful Republic government... instead of another Empire with its own star destroyers and Death Star and so on... wouldn't that have been more interesting?

sunspot42 likes this.
  15. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

That was the Prequels. The good guys were the Republic, the bad guys were the breakaway Separatists.

16. Squealy

Yeah... I guess that's true. But then, The First Order seems too big too quickly in The Force Awakens, and in Last Jedi they seem to have already taken over the entire galaxy. Doesn't take long!

17. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

As I understand it, the New Republic demilitarized itself not long after the fall of the Empire. Leia, having been outed as Vader's daughter, is now a pariah in the New Senate. She uncovers a paramilitary group that will eventually become the First Order, but she doesn't have the same clout with the Republic as she once did. She forms The Resistance, but that group does not have the full-throated support of the New Senate. So, my understanding is that the Resistance is the only defense the New Republic has, and, as we've seen, it ain't much.

From StarWars.com:
    I think the novel "Bloodline" does a good job of establishing the state of affairs as seen at the start of The Force Awakens. Be aware, though, that it's light on traditional Star Wars action and heavy on galactic politics. Just in case that's not your kind of thing....

18. Squealy

I'm interested enough to read your post, but not the whole novel, ha ha. So thanks for the summary!

David Campbell and bferr1 like this.
  19. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

I do the dirty work so you don't have to. ;)

20. Bowie Fett

21. Bowie Fett

Song4U likes this.
  22. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Action sequences in novels don’t work very well. Bloodline is a good one. There are a couple of brief action sequences, but you’re right, it’s light on action, as a Star Wars canon novel probably should be. The canon novels are the in-between stories, filling in the gaps here and there. I’ve read all three of Claudia Gray’s novels. Lost Stars is a winner if you haven’t gotten around to that one.

bferr1 likes this.
  23. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Was going to read "Rebel Rising" next, followed by "Phasma," but "Lost Stars" is on my list, too. Haven't read the "Aftermath" series yet. Any good? I've seen mixed opinions....

24. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I’ve avoided the Aftermath series due to the negative reviews.

bferr1 likes this.
  25. David Campbell

This video sums up pretty much my feelings on Star Wars fandom right now. It's almost as if this guy read my mind and put my thoughts as his in this video.

If anyone " killed" Star Wars... It's the fans for berating George until he sold it to Disney. Now they're berating Disney. Who's next? I guess whomever replaces Kathy Kennedy once they drive her out. Then like now with George, they'll suddenly act like her biggest fans.

The prequels were flawed. The special editions ill advised in some ways and George should have never completely withdrew the original cuts of the OT...But the way the fans treated him is disgraceful. I watched The People vs. George Lucas for the first time last night and it reminded me the childishness in extreme Star Wars fandom certainly didn't originate recently. They just have a bigger platform now.

sunspot42 and Encuentro like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.