Star Wars: Episode VIII (The Last Jedi) - SPOILERS POSSIBLE*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MLutthans, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

2. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

J.R.R. Tolkien's original story - and later additions - are creatively spent??? Quite a few people would disagree with you there, respectfully...

And the reasons for the recent big-screen adaptation's flaws were a bit more complicated than any lack of story substance.

All that is well and good for the assorted (and frankly ridiculous) expanded universe nonsense, but very different when you're talking about actual movie installments... the Skywalker saga is the heart and soul of the SW story; take the assortment of OT characters out of the current films, and how successful would they have been?

Horses for courses, different strokes for different folks... all of the above is just my own humble, fallible, and entirely subjective opinion, and I stand by it.

:tiphat:

Luke The Drifter and ianuaditis like this.
  3. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

I was referring specifically to the Hobbit movie adaptations in response to your comment about the Peter Jackson LOTR movie series, NOT the original Tolkein "Hobbit" book. But I think you know that already.

And yeah, I would say that "The Hobbit" did not need to be a movie trilogy. I'm sure I'm not alone in that assessment. In fact, I never did see the third part since I was completely disinterested in the movie series after the second one, and the unflattering reviews for part three sealed the deal. And I was a huge fan of the LOTR movies back in 2001-2003. The LOTR Trilogy is lightning in a bottle, the Hobbit Trilogy just isn't. As a wise hermit recently said, that's "my own humble, fallible, and entirely subjective opinion, and I stand by it."

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    sunspot42, El Bacho and ianuaditis like this.
  4. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

5. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

6. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

I thought the reason for those high pants was something medical.......because of the blast he took in tfa?

sunspot42 and bferr1 like this.
  7. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Good one! Very plausible explanation.

8. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

If this guy couldn't bring back high-waisted pants, no one can...
    [​IMG]

9. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

10. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Paul Thomas Anderson, a fan of TLJ???

Someone on reddit asked Paul Thomas Anderson which 2017 films stood out to him, and he listed 7. One of them being TLJ. And then he posted this response on Twitter to a question about Adam Driver:

"I Heart Kylo Ren. But I heart Ray more. What's gonna happen?!?!?!?! "

Encuentro and David Campbell like this.
  11. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

:shh: TLJ cracks $600M domestically, surpasses Frozen worldwide, is now poised to surpass $1.3B globally. Next stop: Deathly Hallows, Part 2.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    David Campbell and sunspot42 like this.
  12. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

To be fair, Frozen was a huge Flop.

13. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

:righton:

14. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

Rob Cain, is that you? If so...

Big big fan of your work! ;)

sunspot42 and bferr1 like this.
  15. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

I'm just going to leave this here...

I love this guy.

16. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Reportedly, the home video releases will feature 2 hours of bonus footage including Rey’s third lesson that didn’t make the final cut.

The Target exclusive will come with a 40 page behind-the-scenes booklet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

superstar19 and David Campbell like this.
  17. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

For a film that's hailed as being a visionary achievement in the franchise, it sure does backpedal on a lot of major story decisions.

18. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

That’s debatable. I don’t believe it has backpedaled on anything.

The original trilogy, on the other hand, did quite a bit of backpedaling. But critics of The Last Jedi give original trilogy plot holes and inconsistencies a pass, because they first saw the original trilogy films when they were kids and were oblivious to them.

Oatsdad and sunspot42 like this.
  19. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Yeah, how dare they do that!

[​IMG]

20. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

So, just because it's what happened back then means it's fine now? That's a pretty weak rebuttal.

21. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

To be fair, I don't think many have hailed Return of the Jedi as a visionary achievement in the franchise.

David Campbell likes this.
  22. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

To be even more fair, it's kind of ridiculous to have "killing the past" as a metanarrative in the film and then basically use the past films as a "get out of jail free" card for any criticism levied towards the sequel trilogy.

23. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Can the mods please lock this thread please.

Lownote30 likes this.
  24. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

For what reason? If you're not interested in this thread, don't participate.

25. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

It's not a get out of jail free card. It's a rebuttal. A debate usually has two sides. And to be 100% fair, there are many, including myself, who don't believe that The Last Jedi has backpedaled on anything. You haven't offered any specifics. What have they backpedaled on? Rey's parents?

Stormrider77 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.