Star Wars: Episode VIII (The Last Jedi) - SPOILERS POSSIBLE*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MLutthans, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I finally saw it a second time and it didn't make me like it any more or less. I tried to pay attention to smaller details. For instance, I'm pretty sure that in the opening scenes where Poe is calling Hux he actually calls him "Hugs."

If I see it a third time I'd like to see it in IMAX, just for the visuals. I still think the sound design is excellent.

2. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I disagree. There aren’t any plot holes and inconsistencies as I have previously stated. And there is a story to tell, a very good one, in my opinion. It’s just not a story that you’re a fan of. Different strokes for different folks.

3. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

I think people mistake plot holes for plot developments they didn't like. For instance, Rey being revealed as not a Skywalker isn't a plot hole. Snoke being killed before Episode XI is not a plot hole. Luke "dying" is not a plot hole. It's just that things didn't develop per expectations, Which can be disappointing understandably, but that's a separate thing all together.

4. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

These are not plot holes, because they are not a part of any plot. Also, we cannot be positive about any of it - Rey still can be presented as a daughter or sister or granddaughter or somehow connected to someone important, Snoke could be still alive (we don't have any idea of what he is capable of and what exactly he is/was), and also there's no firm proof that Luke died. Pretty much everything that happened in this episode could be easily overlooked by whoever writing/directing episode 9.

5. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

I thought the plot was pretty tightly constructed myself, with explanations for everything that occurred. Whether or not you bought those explanations I guess depends on you and your level of "buy-in."

David Campbell and sunspot42 like this.
  6. David Campbell

All correct. Note the quotation marks around "dying". I don't think Rey will be related to anyone we know, but Snoke could easily Return and we know that death means something different to Jedi masters given the fact Obi-wan AND Yoda keep popping up. Anyone who seriously think this movie was the end of Luke's part in the saga is kidding themselves. He'll be back in some form

Still...I keep seeing those very things brought up as " plot holes" by detractors of the movie on the internet , Which they aren't. They are plot developments that they just don't like, Which again is a purely subjective thing. No right answer or wrong answer. It just is.

7. El Bacho

El Bacho Forum Resident

It's definitely "Hugs", as the subtitles for foreign versions of the film highlight this.
    The second in charge to Hux is played by Adrian Edmondson. Edmondson was part of a comedy collective, more or less labelled the Comic Strip, due to their programme, and he worked in particular with Jennifer Saunders (whom he's been married to for 32 years) and Rik Mayall, with whom he starred in The Young Ones and Bottom. At the time ROTJ was produced, Mark Hamill caught The Young Ones on TV and turned into a fan, and it turns out that Rian Johnson was also a big fan. The end of the ride on Canto Bight is when Finn yells "Cliff!". It's another tribute to The Young Ones, as it's one of the final words in the show, which means that, now, Cliff Richard is indirectly referenced in a Star Wars film.

JuanTCB, sunspot42 and David Campbell like this.
  8. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

The disappointment for many people, me included, comes by the fact that none of these was satisfactory developed within this movie. So they either just teasing the audience, having some meaning (hopefully) only if regarded as a trailer for the next episode, or they are just meaningless rush storytelling job. I think that 2.5 hours movie have to offer something more accomplished than just being a trailer and a bridge between episodes 7 and 9.

David Campbell likes this.
  9. David Campbell

Which is a fair criticism. I don't completely agree, but I sorta see where that opinion stems from.

I honestly think the biggest mistake is starting the storyline of this movie literally like 15 minutes after the end of TFA. If there was, say, even a few days or a week gap between the events of TFA and the start of TLJ, a lot of the concepts that are a little wobbly would have been easier to digest. However, that was JJ Abrams decision to end the previous movie on a hard cliffhanger and Rian kind of had to follow from that, so it kind of stuck him to handle that.

What I would have done? Start the movie with Luke and Rey and the resolution of that scene ,THEN a title card that says " one week later"...Then pick up with the opening space battle. That minor reshuffling I think would have helped in terms of plotting.

One thing we agree on for sure is that it's a visual and audio treat and the best since EMPIRE in that regard. At least you can acknowledge things the movie does well. More than I can say for a lot of the loudest internet " critics" who won't even cop to the technical aspects and go out of their way to bash EVERY SINGLE THING about it, because they can't bring themselves to say anything nice about a movie that is " pure garbage" and " the worst movie ever made" and the tons of other hyperbolic crap they spew in their trolling.

Oh, and apparently those trolls have turned on Mark Hamill and are calling him a " traitor" now because he loudly debunked their conspiracy theories that Rian Johnson tricked Mark and that he didn't know Luke "died" until the movie premeired.

sunspot42 and delmonaco like this.
  10. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Until Rogue One, Star Wars never did title cards before. Just one of several established style rules they broke with R1, which took me out of the movie the first time I saw it.

11. David Campbell

Well to be fair, until TFA a Star Wars movie never ended on a literal hard cliffhanger, and TLJ was the first Star Wars to literally have actual flashbacks in the narrative, so, it wouldn't have been that big of a deal.

Encuentro likes this.
  12. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

I will start with one thing I liked, followed by something I didn't particularly care for.

Yoda. What an authentic return. If they didn't use a puppet, I would be in awe.
    I really enjoyed his presence.

The lack of connection I felt to anything happening on screen.
    The pacing seemed off mostly. I felt like I wasn't given enough time to care.

13. David Campbell

I connected with any scene involving Luke, Rey, and Kylo , either separately or together. Thankfully that's a good chunk of the movie and the through line.

The rest, particularly the Canto Bight stuff, id agree with you. I still am not convinced that particular plotline was essential. I know it worked for some, but it doesn't quite do it for me. It was like the Rathtar sequence in TFA. Kinda fun but ultimately pointless.

JuanTCB likes this.
  14. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

I wouldn't consider Rey handing Luke a lightsaber to be much of a "hard cliffhanger." If she ignited a thermal detonator before we irised out to JJ Abrams' directing credit, then I'd agree with you. :)

Instead, it seems like more of a "soft cliffhanger," which is not unlike the open, unresolved ending of TESB.

sunspot42 likes this.
  15. David Campbell

Eh. It's still " harder" than any previous Star Wars ending. That last scene almost felt like an after credits scene. Had the movie ended with the Falcon shooting into hyperspace on their way to Luke, then maybe a cut away to Ach-To to show the audience that indeed Luke is there, perhaps looking mournfully at the sunset as the Force Theme swells, before irising out to the credits,then that would have been something closer to an Empire like ending.

In retrospect, I sorta wish that's how TFA ended. That would have given Rian more leeway on where to pick up the story.

16. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

17. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

Dark Empire was awesome.

18. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

It seemed like a problem that Rey's story picked up right where it left off in The Force Awakens, while in the other characters' storylines some time seemed to have passed between the movies...

... though I guess you could argue that at the end of TFA some time might have elapsed between the destruction of Death Star III and Rey's departure to find Luke...

19. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

The beginning of TLJ (the evacuation of the Resistance base) takes place during the end of TFA, while Rey is cruising towards Ahch-to in the Falcon.

sunspot42 likes this.
  20. Squealy

It's not about the intensity of what happens, it's about the need for the next movie to show you what happened immediately after that (as opposed to picking up the story years later).

turnersmemo likes this.
  21. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Why would anybody want this?

I thought Rey's origins were very well dealt with. It ends up with the character completely rootless and totally in charge of her own fate . . . and the fate of their entire galaxy. She is very powerful and totally alone, but also fanatically loyal. That could play out in many interesting ways, and represents a powerful internal conflict regardless of whatever external conflicts the next installment throws her way.

turnersmemo, Jim B. and Encuentro like this.
  22. Squealy

Well it's clear that not much time has passed, as Finn is still recovering from his injuries... but I would have thought the First Order might have needed a while to regroup after what happened at the end of the previous movie.

Then again, in The Last Jedi their fleet seems to be badly damaged by Laura Dern's hyperspace maneuver, and yet they are able to mount an attack on the rebel base immediately.

23. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

What happened at the end of TFA happened to Starkiller Base; the First Order fleet wasn't involved. They already knew where the Resistance base was located, so it made sense for them to get there post-haste.

24. David Campbell

I thought the first video I posted this morning was bad...Holy cow.

Some of the people in this come off as children or just outright mentally ill. It's really the cesspool of the fandom. It almost makes me ashamed to say I'm a star wars fan if this is the impression people get of the fanbase in general.

I really feel the worst for those of you who didn't like this movie but are actually sane rational adults. These..."fans" don't reflect your point of view very well.

I'd like to see a YouTube video made by someone actually sane and rational who disliked the last Jedi and can make their case eloquently and respectfully without degrading into a profanity and snark laden temper tantrum. if anyone can find a link to something like that I'd love to watch it.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    sunspot42 likes this.
  25. David Campbell

Sammy Banderas, sunspot42 and bferr1 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.