Star Wars: Episode VIII (The Last Jedi) - SPOILERS POSSIBLE*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MLutthans, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

2. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

I'm confused? How do you "finish off" a force ghost? They are already dead...

Who ya gonna call...

wavethatflag likes this.
  3. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

[​IMG]

4. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

"We Came, We Saw, We KICKED IT'S FORCE-ASS!"

*Cue Ray Parker Jnr/John Williams mash-up*

5. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

EC Henry nails it! No, Leia is not flying. It is a Force pull, the same power that Luke displays after seconds of training aboard the Falcon in the original Star Wars movie. As Henry correctly points out, it is one of the first powers that relatively new Force sensitive characters use. Henry even explains that Leia’s survival in the vacuum of space is scientifically accurate, not that scientific accuracy matters in a fantasy saga like Star Wars.

David Campbell likes this.
  6. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks." - W.S.

7. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Flying or being pulled ..it looked silly.

Solaris, Tony-A, Michael Rose and 2 others like this.
  8. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Substance over style. It’s an important story development, but it didn’t look purty.

9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Have any of these people heard of “reality?”

10. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

I will just wait for someone to do a Phantom Edit-style version of just the good bits before watching LJ again.

11. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Star Wars? Reality? Whatever could you possibly mean?

12. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Regarding Luke's third lesson to Rey

According to the EW preview of The Last Jedi's deleted scenes, there's this nugget hidden within the article for "Rey and the Raiders of the Caretaker Village."

Here's my interpretation:

[​IMG]
    "The Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic."

[​IMG]
    "You can't win, but there are alternatives to fighting." Wisdom resulting from experience. By the way, this is the same lesson Leia wanted Poe to learn.

[​IMG]
    A Jedi renouncing the ways of his past and the weapon long associated with them. This is not a callous storytelling decision or some ill-considered gag!

[​IMG]
    My six-year-old daughter's takeaway on what she said was her favorite moment: "Luke won because he never had to fight to begin with." Through his sacrifice, Luke wins the day by covering the Resistance's retreat without adding a single additional casualty on both sides.

My takeaway: Nonviolence as an alternative to fighting, a Jedi living up to their original purpose of serving as guardians of peace and justice.

Or, put more succinctly:

[​IMG]

Lesson number three.

13. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I think you nailed it.

Bowie Fett, wavethatflag and bferr1 like this.
  14. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Nice interpretation. To piggyback on that point, “That’s how we’re going to win. Not killing what we hate. Saving what we love.”

sunspot42 and bferr1 like this.
  15. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

B...But we didn't see Luke kick ass like I wanted to see since I was twelve and he died from getting tired. Lame! Ruin Johnson ruined my life! #notmystarwars

:)

BeatleJWOL, sunspot42, bferr1 and 2 others like this.
  16. greg_t

greg_t Senior Member

I'm not sure he died from getting tired. The way I see it is this but could certainly be wrong. When Ben and Rey first see each other she fires her gun at him through the wall of the hut, but Ben reacts just as if he's been hit. He grabs his side and jerks as if he's been hit and feels the hit. The next time they "see" each other she is standing in the rain, at the end of the vision there is water on his hand. The next time they seemingly touch hands. This makes me think that even though they aren't really there, there is an aspect of the contact that is most certainly physical. I see this as saying that even though Luke isn't actually there with Ben, he feels each laser blast and light saber cut, just as Ben felt Rey's laser blast and the water from the rain she was standing in by the Falcon.

17. David Campbell

If you couldn't tell, I was parodying the refrain of the " Dizney ruined muh Star Warz" crowd. That oversimplified " Luke committed suicide/ died because he was tired" attitude you see a lot from them. Unlike them I actually can comprehend what was actually on screen without being spoon-fed.
    However, I don't think he "died" because he was physically injured by the laser blasts or Ren poking him with the Saber. Force projection across the Galaxy was very taxing to his corpereal form, and he will fully decided to join the Force as his masters did, becoming more powerful than we can possibly imagine....And to troll his old Padawan.

18. David Campbell

To further elaborate, it is possible he feels everything. I just don't think the blasts and the saber actually caused Luke physical harm.its the strain of using that power that kills him.

So technically, yes, he dies from exertion ,but from pulling off one of the greatest feats in all of star wars and winning a passive Victory. Not dropping dead after shoveling snow like the " not muh Star Wars" malcontents make it out to be when they say Luke dies from getting tired.

Encuentro, Bowie Fett and greg_t like this.
  19. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Captain Phasma deleted scene.

bferr1 likes this.
  20. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Encuentro likes this.
  21. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Maybe it's just me, but that was better than what was in the film.

22. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

For those interested in the digital release, they have added a couple of extras to the "Movies Anywhere" digital release that will not be available on the physical media releases and are not available from other digital retailers. By far the best is a score-only presentation of the entire film.

23. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

Is 'The Last Jedi' Better With Just the John Williams Music and No Dialogue?

"Of all the counterintuitive opinions about Star Wars, there’s one truly fascinating notion that doesn’t get explored as much as it should: maybe these movies are better without any dialogue. And now one elusive Last Jedi special feature will make you wonder if it’s not better as a silent film.

On Tuesday, Lucasfilm made Star Wars: The Last Jedi available for digital download, and if you watched the film specifically on the Movies Anywhere app, you were able to access a special feature not available anywhere else: The Score-Only Version of The Last Jedi. That’s right, you can watch the entire movie without any dialogue or sound effects at all. And you know what? It might be better that way.

In other words, future Star Wars movies are in trouble when John Williams retires from composing after composing the music for Episode IX. The score-only version of The Last Jedi proves a Star Wars movie may only need unique imagery and music, and really, nothing else. Not even the sound of a lightsaber."

One 'Last Jedi' Special Feature Revives an Epic Fan Argument | Inverse

delmonaco likes this.
  24. mcre01

mcre01 Forum Resident

Nothing new as George Lucas states here, that he sees Star Wars movies as silence movies carried by the music.

sunspot42 and David Campbell like this.
  25. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Will those who buy the physical release be able to access the score-only version by redeeming the digital code and watching on Movies Anywhere?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.