Star Wars: Episode VIII (The Last Jedi) - SPOILERS POSSIBLE*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MLutthans, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebunk

thebunk Senior Member

And to sell some new toys ;)

2. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

Not sure if parodying the overacting fanboys or if you are serious. Calm down...find your happy place. It's gonna be ok.

...and as an ONJ fan...the mere mention of Grease 2 makes my skin crawl. ;)

sunspot42 likes this.
  3. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

SHMI: He deserves better than a slave's life.

QUI-GON: Had he been born in the Republic, we would have identified him early. The Force is unusually strong with him, that much is clear.

Wounded Land likes this.
  4. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

IMO The Last Jedi was one of the worst movies I have seen in a long time,but for the life of me I can't understand the milk scene being soooo hated.If someone lived on an island with a cow a person would totally walk up to it,milk it,drink it and if thirst was quenched make a face like "ahhhhhh that's good".Why is this amphibious creature any different in their galaxy?

5. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

The milk cow thing was also a nice nod to how Luke drank blue milk way back in 1977.

sunspot42 and superstar19 like this.
  6. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

yeah, i don't get all the hatred for that scene. mind, i thought there were a lot of things to hate about The Last Jedi, but that scene seemed innocuous enough. it's not like he can mosey over to Mos Eisley for a drink.

7. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I didnt like it just cause it was naaaastay.

8. Takehaniyasubiko

Takehaniyasubiko Forum Resident

I've watched this carefully at home today and I hate it even more now. It's a god-awful movie on so many different levels that it's not even funny.

If it excels at something, it's proving that you can have too much money to spend. The movie really looks like they were more into the sheer act of spending money on CGI and props than actually directing a coherent movie. There's a lot of lavish scenes, but what does it all amount to? The plot is nonsensical from start to finish and there's no willing suspension of disbelief here. The viewer can tell right away that nobody really thought about coherency and believability in this movie because everything was done at a whim. Making the Force do whatever we want from the plot? Sure, let's. Throwing in some random scenes, like the one with Yoda, just because it's good for nostalgia? Sure, let's. Killing off the baddie in an idiotic way just for the sake of a plot twist? Sure, let's.

There's just no spark in this. The charm which made the whole ridiculous Star Wars universe likable and believable at least while you were watching it. They sure knew how to spend a lot of money on The Last Jedi, but it's as if too many people with too many ideas were on it because the end result is just an incoherent pile.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    mx20, Rhett, Solaris and 5 others like this.
  9. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Sadly, this is true. It's a common knowledge already. Even the people who advocate TLJ doesn't have much to say about it's virtues, but instead just focus to ridicule the most extreme youtubers that criticize it.

Rhett, mpayan, bherbert and 2 others like this.
  10. Takehaniyasubiko

Sadly, I know people who claim it's a great movie, one of the best they saw in years, etc.

I can't understand that at all because it simply isn't a great movie. It has acting and plot problems all over the place, even if we don't get into the whole what's Star Wars and what's not Star Wars debate...

11. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Those of us who love the film have praised the film’s virtues relentlessly in this thread. You can’t have missed the plethora of points made in praise of this film’s virtues in the 170 pages of this thread. You’re free to hate the film. One does have to wonder why someone who hates something so much would spend so much time hating it, but that’s your right. I didn’t like Deadpool, but I haven’t spent an inordinate amount of time trashing said film in its devoted thread. Again, it’s a discussion thread, and you’re free to spend your time relentlessly hating something. But spare us the ‘even those who disagree me are wrong for disagreeing with me’ nonsense. It’s a bunch of garbage. Some didn’t like it. Some did.

12. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

OK, peace! No movie is important enough to provoke people to be rude to each other. I wrote the above because every time I posted to this thread about what I think is bad about this movie, the responses were almost never related to what I wrote, but mostly some generalizations about alt-right, and how the OT is even more dumb than TLJ. At some point some posters even said that it's not advisable to criticize TLJ, because there's some serious plot by the alt-right fans to kill Rian Johnson, and since then I restricted myself to post here.
    Again, no need to over dramatize, I value your opinion and your good attitude and feelings about me are more important than any movie. We are fellow members here, after all.

Encuentro likes this.
  13. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Cool. Thanks. I apologize for the strong language in my previous post. It’s just a film, after all. And as such, I’m going to end my participation in this particular thread. All that can be said about this film, pro and con, has been said. Peace. I’ll see you in other threads, and I’ll be wearing a smile.

delmonaco likes this.
  14. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Thanks. I also don't have more to say in this thread without repeating myself. See you in some other discussion! :)

15. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

That's demonstrably false. People went on for pages in this forum about what they liked about the film, and listed specifics. Pages of them.

16. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

SJP likes this.
  17. Takehaniyasubiko

Couldn't care less who her parents are. The character is flat and doesn't instill any emotions in me. Plus that accent somehow doesn't fit at all.

agentalbert and Tony-A like this.
  18. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Cool theory, seems like one they could run with if it hasn't been inserted in the plot line thus far.

I thought it was an odd coincidence in hearing the name "Kira" in Solo, knowing that was the original name for Rey, not knowing how it was actually spelled (Qi'ra).

FVDnz likes this.
  19. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I know, that always bugged me about Obi-Wan, too. I mean, why the accent? ;)

John K.

sunspot42 likes this.
  20. Takehaniyasubiko

That accent somehow fit it all. Probably because the character wasn't so forced and accent itself wasn't that strong. Alec Guinness did a great job playing a cool character. Daisy Ridley did a mediocre job playing a lame character.

agentalbert likes this.
  21. mx20

mx20 Enthusiast

I really like Ridley as Rey & Driver as Kylo/Been. That's pretty much all I liked about VIII.

The Solo movie thread is closed (of course it is), so I will add: I liked it better than Rogue One.

sunspot42 and will_b_free like this.
  22. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I don't know about her accent. Its completely irrelevant to me, but I agree completely on your first two points. I couldn't care less who her parents are and the actress/character is completely bland an uninteresting. I'm sick of "chosen one" stories, so if she has to be the center of everything, it being completely random is fine with me. Don't care where she came from.

I re-watched TLJ last week to give is a second chance. I didn't like it in the theater and I liked it even less the second time through. I rate it the absolute worst of the (now ten) live action Star Wars movies. I'd rather watch "Phantom Menace" that sit through TLJ again, and I can't believe I'm saying that.

23. Takehaniyasubiko

My thoughts exactly.

24. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

:bigeek:

thegage likes this.
  25. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Wow - that IS saying something. Right there with you though, unfortunately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.