Star Wars: Episode VIII (The Last Jedi) - SPOILERS POSSIBLE*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MLutthans, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Tell me about it.

2. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Wow, fan reviews on message boards for this are brutal.

3. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

Hey have to say, if the reviews stay fairly bad, It may be a relief.
    I do not want to brave crowds, and annoying movie goer behavior.

audiomixer and delmonaco like this.
  4. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I really don't know who I dislike more, over-enthusiastic critics who want so desperately to believe that this is the Greatest Star Wars Movie Ever, or the easily-offended fan-boys who immediately hate anything that slightly deviates from their sacred childhood memories.

Not saying it's not a flawed movie, and a lot of the criticisms I've read on this thread are definitely true. But there's a rather large contingent of Star Wars "fans" whose entire life's mission is to **** on anything that anyone else may even remotely enjoy.

5. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I liked the Force Awakens a lot more than The Last Jedi but I like the score better for the new film.

"Help us JJ, you're our only hope"

6. The Doctor

The Doctor Forum Resident

Also, you don't play your villains for laughs half the movie. The movie treated Hux and Rey like Spaceballs.

Also, never made sense to me that okay...The Empire is fractured in Jedi. The Rebellion is now the New Republic. Suddenly somehow the fractured Empire is now the First Order, which has a majority of systems because reasons, and the the Republic calls itself "the Resistance"? Why? Should it be reversed? Shouldn't this First Order be a splinter group of the New Republic?

Also, again, why are the villains treated like jokes for the majority of the film? You didn't get cheesy gags or double-take jokes on Tarkin or Vader. Way to make your bad guys look like stupid wimps.

Also, the bad guys had some bad acting. Some of those British imperials sounded like the British evil bad guys in Mel Gibson's Patriot - so snobbishly British as to seem like a cartoonish joke.

jeroemba likes this.
  7. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Glowing non-spoiler review

8. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Is this any surprise that it is getting bad reviews?!?

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  9. Nipper

Nipper His Master's Voice

That actually happened to me. I was in line for a matinee on Saturday of opening weekend for ROTJ, and some a-hole coming out of the previous show shouted to everyone waiting in line "Vader kills the Emperor."

Vidiot likes this.
  10. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I saw it last night after going out of my way not to read anything anyone else said about it, and I loved it. Was it perfect? By no means. But definitely a worthy follow up to TFA and it has me excited to see the next one. And I am sure I will see this one again while it is in the theaters (thanks to my MoviePass membership, probably a bunch of times). I would suggest to anyone on the fence to just go see it and come to your own conclusions.

vertigone and Pete Puma like this.
  11. JWew

JWew Currently thinking of a clever Custom Title...

Wow, I just saw the movie this morning, and loved every moment of it (yeah, there were a couple weird moments - won't mention them here - but, to me, they were explainable). So, to come back home, jump on the internet, and to see so many audience reviews of people hating it, is quite a shock. I must have seen a different Star Wars movie.

From the opening notes of the main theme I was pumped because - and here's a little Hoffman forum-esque music nugget - I noticed that they restored the beefy, brass undertones to the first notes which had always made the classic theme explode out of the speakers. Seriously, go back and listen to the opening notes to the main theme in The Force Awakens - it's anemic.

Anyway, this movie actually wore me out...and I can't wait to see it again.
    I'll have to visit the spoiler thread when I can finally process everything I just saw.

12. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I'll join in the nerd discussion (your word) - in the original film, they were able to board the Falcon and hide a tracking device on board, which presumably they were never able to do here. So it was a different kind of tracking.

13. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

There was applause when I saw it, but I wasn't sure if that was for the movie as a whole or for the dedication to Carrie Fisher in the credits (they didn't applaud right away when the credits started).

14. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I loved the chemistry between Ben and Rey. I found it telling that Ben did not have a negative reaction to being called "Ben." I thought he was going to attempt to correct her. Yes, I believe there was sexual tension there, right down to that final scene with Ben and Rey looking at one another before Rey closes the Falcon door, cutting off their Force connection. When Ben held out his hand and asked him to join her, I was actually on the fence as to whether or not she would.

Jason Manley likes this.
  15. Ghost Of Miles

Ghost Of Miles Forum Resident

Applause at the end when I saw it last night. I loved it (thought it a definite improvement on TFA, which I enjoyed, but which almost became almost parodistic in its callbacks) and am going to go see it again this weekend or next. Lots of people complaining about the pacing, but that's one area in which I found it better than TFA, which never gave you time to really absorb what was happening, no space to breathe. The dynamic between Rey and Kylo was fantastic, and the comedic parts worked quite well. (Another complaint I don't understand, given the ratio of goofy comic moments in the original trilogy, which completely went missing in the prequels.) The critic-fan divide on this one is interesting and real, that's for sure--at Rotten Tomatoes it's now down in prequel territory in the audience-score category. I can see why some think it's uneven, but it's so, so much better than any of the prequels, which remain some of my worst-ever cinematic experiences.

coffeetime likes this.
  16. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

I'm not convinced Ren he was telling her the truth.
    I now think they're brother and sister..........to be told in the next film by Ren.

I'm not convinced Snoke is gone too.
    If Luke can transport a version of himself across the galaxy...........maybe Snoke can too?............but i do realise there was solid matter/corpse remaining.

ianuaditis likes this.
  17. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Watch Ben and Rey be secret twins.

18. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

After this film I agree with you in being done with Star Wars,I will still check in to watch the most recent film ,but sort of like catching up with an old friend every few years that will do just fine,no more obssesing over every tidbit which i have been guilty of in the past.The original movies I love are going nowhere and i can enjoy them whenever I want.

Spitfire likes this.
  19. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

For sure!

20. marblesmike

I say that because they reference the Prime Jedi in some of the associated media for this movie, and he's supposed to be a split of light and dark---so what if Ben/Rey are the split reincarnation of the Prime Jedi?

Also, the Prime Jedi is pictured as the mosaic under the the pool in the Jedi temple:

[​IMG]

21. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

But Kylo told her that she already knew, and her reaction seemed to indicate that she did already know. I don't recall who said that her parents were junkers who abandoned her first. I do remember that Kylo kept prompting her to "Say it," and I'm pretty sure that Rey said something first, some acknowledgement that her parents were nobodies.

22. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I saw The Last Jedi today. It's a far better movie than The Force Awakens. It's one of the better Star Wars movies, for sure.

MikeInFla and artfromtex like this.
  23. marblesmike

No, he said it clearly. And it could be him playing off her biggest fear (the fear that her parents will never return) to try to turn her. He's established to be an unreliable narrator with his version of what happened with him and Luke, unless you want to trust him over Luke...

Quadboy and Encuentro like this.
  24. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Agreed. I thought it was fantastic and very fun.

Sondek likes this.
  25. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

I’ll take your point on the distinction. I did see the film in the very early hours and the cinema was very warm and sleep inducing. WIll see it again tomorrow morning with the family, fully awake and caffienated. Hoping it will make a better impression second time around.

mmars982 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.