Star Wars: Episode VIII (The Last Jedi) - SPOILERS POSSIBLE*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MLutthans, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

Please explain. He played a pivotal role in Finn and Rose’s development. And enabled the First Order to nearly obliterate the Resistance.

2. JWew

JWew Currently thinking of a clever Custom Title...

I guess it's fitting the good Admiral died in a trap. RIP, you wily old crustacean!

3. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

But was a separate character and the entire storyline to find him necessary? Why couldn't Rose have done it?

The Slug Man likes this.
  4. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

I agree!

Encuentro and Sondek like this.
  5. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Fitting for the times I suppose.

I truly went into the theater expecting to enjoy it and had no expectations other than it would be good. I thought JJ Abrams was going to be directing again though so I wasn't apprehensive. I didn't realize he didn't direct until the end credits started rolling and to be honest, I didn't know who Rian Johnson was although it turns out I've seen some of his work.

I think it falls into Pearl Harbor territory but I am no longer the target audience. This is the kind of movie that's made today and what the younger generations enjoy and I'm glad a lot of people did enjoy it.

6. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

At my screening, When Leia's crusier was blown up there was a this unified quiet sadness that was shared among 100 ppl or so. We all thought this was it for Leia/Carrie. Then Mary Poppins appeared.

jamesc, coffeetime and Vidiot like this.
  7. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

The people I know who've gone and seen it and enjoyed it are in their mid 40s. Kids when the originals came out.

jamesc, Sammy Banderas and JWew like this.
  8. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

He didnt get a big enough send off considering all the years he fought for the rebellion. Just another old relic tossed aside. Did Nienum survive? And if so what are the odds he makes it out of IX alive?

9. metal134

metal134 Forum Resident

Based on general feedback I’m seeing from all corners of the internet as well as well as face to face, the user review rating is totally on par with what I’m hearing. If anything, it’s the critic’s ratings that are suspicious.

10. JWew

JWew Currently thinking of a clever Custom Title...

I'm still holding out hope that Billy Dee will come back and team up with Nien Numb one last time in Ep. 9! :D (But I'm sure there would be folks who find fault with that too :sigh:)
    But you do bring up a good point - Nien Numb was in Ep. 7, but I don't recall seeing him in this one...hmmmm....

11. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

Cons/Complaints/Headscratchers:

Maz Kanata was ridiculous. I didn't like her in the last movie, so for them to bring her back, she should've at least explained how she got Luke's lightsaber. I forgot what she said she was up to when they made contact with her, but it sounded like something relatively trivial compared to what our heroes were going through. Plus she reminds me too much of that weird little woman with the glasses in The Incredibles.

What happened to the "tattoo" Kylo had over his scar at the beginning of the movie? It looked like a snake tattoo but it just sort of disappeared with no explanation (unless I missed it). And now he's never going to wear a mask again because Snoke thought it was dorky?

Speaking of Snoke, will we not get to see who he really was, etc. ? Was he even technically a Sith lord?

I'm ashamed to say I didn't even catch onto the significance of the final scene. I heard people in theater gasp when the kid went outside with the broom and I'm like, "What? It's a frigging broom!" My girlfriend, who's not even much of a SW fan per se, caught on: "You didn't notice that? He was using the force to move the broom!" :hide: I didn't like the idea of the stable boy with the mean alien "master" because it was too much like Anakin in Phantom Menace. It's kind of ironic, but even though it's often thought of as a "kids' series," it never seems to work to have little kids in the Star Wars movies. I'm sure there's a technical term for this paradox.

Speaking of prequels, that's why I didn't like the gambling planet. It reminded me too much of the prequels. Even the whole "escape on horseback" scene with corny dialogue (I know they're not horses). Benecio Del Toro's character was almost too hard to understand with his stutter, and I think he completely went over the audience's head at the theatre.

Nice purple hair, Laura. And Akbar dies, but Nien Nunb gets to live?

I also thought it was out of character for Yoda to burn the tree down. I totally thought he would be, "Waste your time burning trees, you will not! Get yourself out to the Rebel fleet to help them, you must!" Instead he's like, hee hee let me burn it down for you!

BTW chronologically, Rey cannot be Obi-Wan's daughter. Obi-Wan died about 34 years before TFA began, and I seriously doubt Rey is supposed to be 34 or 35.

(Also, doesn't Daisy Ridley have the most beautiful complexion? So much more pleasant to look at her in all those closeups than to look at Kylo close-up. Do girls really think he's hot?)

coffeetime likes this.
  12. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Brian_Svoboda and JWew like this.
  13. Daniel Plainview

He was also there in 8 in one scene but I didnt notice him at end so Im concerned he didnt make it.

JWew likes this.
  14. metal134

metal134 Forum Resident

It was a lightsaber burn mark. There was a brief scene where said wound was being attended to by a medical droid.

The Slug Man likes this.
  15. Daniel Plainview

Corrupted by Disney and liberal hollywood, he was.

enro99, Wounded Land and The Slug Man like this.
  16. El Bacho

El Bacho Forum Resident

It will be mostly settled when we get the scores for the second and the third weekend. It the box office falls faster than the one for TFA, it means that the actual word of mouth was bad. It it's a slower fall, it means that it was good and more people decided to watch it a second time.

I agree that the Rotten Tomatoes audience scores are meaningless, as they can be easily manipulated. I didn't know there were communities there, I have no memory of the RT audience score being used to prove something. Especially for a series with such a devoted and active fanbase, it may just take some vocal people to weigh in to influence things there.

17. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Justice League got a 79% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes (and 40% from the critics). It was okay, but it wasn't 79% great imo. I remember reading something about fanboys pumping up the score in protest to the harsh critisism it was getting.

David Campbell likes this.
  18. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

True. I don't think this movie will still do quite as well overall as TFA ( it opened slightly lower in the USA) but it'll be interesting to see how it drops off from week one to week two in comparison to TFA.

19. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I think the second installments don't tend to do as good as the first. Star Wars (77) did better than Empire, and Attack of The Clones didn't do as good as The Phantom Menace.

20. The Slug Man

What about third installments? Did ROTJ do better than Empire? ROTS had to have done better than AOTC.

21. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

The third ones tend to do better. For some reason, the second films tend to be the weakest at the box office (and to think, Empire was one of - if not thee best Star Wars movie): Star Wars Movies at the Box Office - Box Office Mojo

22. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

It's a pretty good movie, and will likely go down as being better than RTJ, but not as good as ESB. The floating Leia scene was lame.
    Ackbar's death was rather bogus, but giving him a hero's death would have been expected, and went against the tone of having multiple strong female characters. The way Snoke went out was interesting, but I wish there was some explanation as to who he is, err was.
    It almost seems as if there is some sort of budding romance going on between Kylo and Rey. He saved her from a likely death, similar in a way that Vader saved Luke, but in an eros vs agape way. Disney needs way to milk the franchise, and them two having offspring is the most perfect way.
    Of course you have Finn and Rose, which can create another arch.
    Speaking of milking, that scene was nasty. But I guess it's no different than milking a camel. I wish Chewie sank his teeth into one one of those annoying little critters. Looked like good BBQ, but those those things are going to sell.
    The closing of the movie was interesting as well, with the posing of the broom as a light saber. Shades of things to come?

The visuals were great, but everything look a little dark to me. It matched the tone of the film, so I don't know if if was intentional, or if was the projector, copy, etc. I did see in in 3D. The sound effects were top notch, and the music fit the film well. Overall I found it to be a good continuation of TFA. Yeah, there are some Albert Hall sized holes in the film, but those will probably be answered in the future.

23. El Bacho

El Bacho Forum Resident

And there are narrative reasons. You can't shoehorn Master Jedi Luke Skywalker into a drama without consequence. This is a character who has reached nearly infinite powers and nearly-mythical consideration from the audience.
    They tried to get him on The Force Awakens, but they realized it wouldn't work if he was part of the action

J.J. Abrams explains R2-D2's closing scene in 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens'

Like for many things, JJ Abrams left the heavy task of finding a solution to feature Luke, without Luke getting in the way of the story, for the next film. And it makes sense, in storytelling terms, to have him living as a hermit, ashamed of something that happened years ago, which explains why he wasn't backing the Rebellion all these years, and why they are so weak. Obi-Wan was an hermit, but this was a front to monitor Luke all these years. Luke had obviously nothing to do on his island at the end of TFA, so it was his own decision to stay out of the picture.

24. El Bacho

El Bacho Forum Resident

It was some metallic bandage to heal the wound. As just a few hours happen between the time the Starkiller gets destroyed at the end of TFA and Kylo Ren returns to service, it explains why he doesn't have a more visible wound. After he removes the bandage, he has a scar.

The wound was actually on his nose at the end of TFA. Johnson realized that it would look goofy, and he had it slightly moved.

'Last Jedi' director moves scar on Kylo Ren's face, chaos ensues

25. The Slug Man

I didn't mind the poggles because while, yes, they were obviously there to sell toys, they didn't really influence the plot one way or another the way Jar Jar or the Ewoks did. So I can only "hate" them so much.

And how frigging cool were those ice wolves? A rare case where CGI created something uber-cool. I also liked the white layer of salt on that planet right above the red soil. It made me hungry for some red velvet cake. ;)

I agree with whoever said that they should have just made Rose the code-breaker, where they somehow learn she can do that (and she's eager to volunteer because her sister was killed), and Finn volunteers to go because he is an ex-stormtrooper who would know the lay of the land. And they go straight to the bad guys. Bingo, 20 minutes shorter--no stuttering Benicio, no dorks in tuxedoes, no giant llamas, no kids with brooms.

marblesmike likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.