Star Wars: Episode VIII (The Last Jedi) the Great Divide Poll!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

Since "fake news," bribing movie critics, and hacking polls has invaded even the Star Wars universe, here's is an accounting you can trust! Steve Hoffman Forum Visual Arts Members tell you what's what on Star Wars! The mucking about with excuses, it's either yea or nay!

2. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

An absolute thumbs up. Is it perfect? No. But neither is the OT, no matter how much fanatics like to pretend it is.

The Last Jedi challenges expectations and preconceptions of the Star Wars universe and those in it. Some people have taken issue with that, I however, embrace the **** out of it. It's made it way more interesting to me. As much as I enjoyed TFA, I kind of wish Rian was wrapping it up instead of JJ.

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Not sure how we're defining "success" and "failure" here, but I voted TU.

It's an entertaining movie that's making tons of money...

Sondek and bferr1 like this.
  4. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

I haven't seen it but it seems to be pissing a lot of nerds off. Therefore, thumbs up.

5. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I was there was an option for "I liked it but didn't love it."

6. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Thumbs sideways.

chili555 and jbmcb like this.
  7. Thumbs up. Not great, but a fine entertaining popcorn flick.

David Campbell likes this.
  8. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I think there's a perception that there are a lot more "haters" towards this movie (and towards any big pop-culture phenomenon, really), simply because critics (that is, those who criticize, not "film critics") tend to speak up louder about their objections. Those of us who enjoy something are more content to just sit back and enjoy.

9. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Isn't that kind of human nature though? If you have a bad experience at a store or restaurant you're more likely to tell 10 other people about it or write a negative Yelp! review than you are if you have a satisfactory meal or interaction at a department store.

Higlander likes this.
  10. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I don't really want to give it a thumbs down entirely because there were some good aspects of the film.

But there were some parts of the story and gimmicks that I felt were very subpar, so I definitely can't give it a full thumbs up.

I agree with above - thumb to the side.

People really have created fake accounts just to diss "Star Wars" on the internet? What a waste of life. Go do something constructive. Improve your community. Get a life.

David Campbell, FVDnz and GodShifter like this.
  11. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

It may be one of my favorite children's movie of the year just after Cars 3 and Captain Underpants!

12. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

The problem with this movie is that actually nothing really happened. No any answers were given, and not a single storyline was completed or seriously developed. The next episode can easily ignore everything that we saw on this one - Luke can be absent, or alive, or a ghost. Same with Snoke. The hint that the force is everywhere, and it was restricted until now by concentrating it within the Jedi and Siths orders, is neat, but it's just a hint, that also can be ignored or pushed to another direction. The only thing that we know for sure after almost 3 hours is that Admiral Ackbar is no more...

13. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

I voted thumbs up too. It's not what I wanted or expected but it's still a decent movie. I'll have to see it again to get a better rating but it's worth seeing. More like thumbs up with reservations lol

14. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Very good. A little too long but good.

Thesmellofvinyl likes this.
  15. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Thumbs up. Not what I expected, and that's one of the reasons I liked it. :)

FVDnz, El Bacho, Chris DeVoe and 3 others like this.
  16. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Two thumbs up.

Sondek likes this.
  17. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I loved it. I also love that it is pissing off my fellow basement dwellers.

FVDnz and David Campbell like this.
  18. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I talked to another 30-something friend of mine that is a big SW fan and asked him what he thought of it, and like everyone else I personally know that has seen it, he said it was "good."

19. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I gave it a thumbs up, despite being at least 30 minutes too long.

Keith V likes this.
  20. mark renard

mark renard Senior Member

Thought it was great! I think it needs to be seen more than once to absorb everything. Can wait for the next episode.

Sondek likes this.
  21. Jamiroquai

Jamiroquai Forum Resident

Split down the middle. I enjoyed the actors with what they had to work with. There was also some fantastic visuals.

I also felt there was script issues and am becoming convinced that editing is becoming a lost art. This movie had no right being 2&1/2 hrs. long.

Keith V likes this.
  22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Maybe - I dunno. I find that when I get unusually good treatment at a business, I spread that word as much as I do the negative experiences.

Crap, I have a story about how State Farm did right by me 23 years ago that I still tell!

23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

People didn't like "The Force Awakens" for being too silly, but I loved it and laughed a lot. I didn't laugh during this one, except for the joke about the pilots following Kylo Ren orders. I found it a mess. Wasted Finn and Rey and Poe. Thumb down.

24. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

David Campbell, Vidiot and Keith V like this.
  25. JWew

JWew Currently thinking of a clever Custom Title...

Not only do I give it a thumbs up, but for those who have seen the "Sneakin' in the Movies" scene from Hollywood Shuffle, I also give it a "serious high-five"!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.