Star Wars: Episode VIII (The Last Jedi) - SPOILERS POSSIBLE*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MLutthans, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andybeau

andybeau Forum Resident

'Only Shades Of Grey' ???

Grunge Master likes this.
  2. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Anyone else think Rey is the daughter of Han & Leia? I know, it's odd that Han wouldn't acknowledge her as his own but what if he didn't know? After all Leia seems to have an immediate bond with Rey even bypassing Chewy when Rey returns to the base at the end of TFA. The point seemed to be made that Han & Leia had been apart for a long, long time.

I always felt like the ship that left Rey on Jakku looked rather 'big'. Like it was befitting a Princess. I'm thinking that they never told Rey for her own good, to protect her. It seems that Ben (Kylo Ren) knows her and they share a bond, as well.

3. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Boy, I sure hope not.

wolfram and bluesbro like this.
  4. bluenote

bluenote Forum Resident

I completely agree with this. Han seems to have a bond with her as well.

Jason Manley likes this.
  5. Jason Manley

Who are Rey’s parents? The answer is in ‘The Force Awakens’, reckons 'Star Wars' star Daisy Ridley

From December 2016 (Time Out, London):

6. Jason Manley

I hear you. I feel like it's either one of these two: Han & Leia's hidden daughter. Or Luke's. Neither would disappoint me though. Luke is probably the answer that makes sense. But I feel like Han & Leia does also.

Would you be disappointed if it's Luke (and unknown woman)?

EddieVanHalen likes this.
  7. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I think she's the adopted child of Chewbacca and C3-PO.

andybeau and Jason Manley like this.
  8. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

She may be Ben Kenobi's granddaughter. I like this theory.

9. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I feel like this movie has a lot of questions to answer. Who is Rey? Who is Snoke? How did Vader/Luke's lightsaber end up with Maz? Who are the Knights Of Ren? How did Snoke lure Kylo Ren to the Dark Side, and how is Kylo the head of the Knights Of Ren? And lastly, Where's The Beef?

Jason Manley likes this.
  10. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I'd be disappointed if it's any of the "usual suspects" (the Solos, Luke, Obi Wan). There's already enough nepotism in the Star Wars universe!

bluesbro likes this.
  11. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Her parents are British since she has a British accent

bluesbro and Jason Manley like this.
  12. Jason Manley

Very interesting. I read something (maybe from Making Star Wars) in the summer of 2015 about the old man (Lor San Tekka) on Jakku and his relation to Rey. It was vague but it sounded like he was her father perhaps. I think the only thing giving me pause with the Kenobi angle is that you really have to be an attentive viewer/listener to catch all of the hints. Would Disney not want to make the reveal a little less esoteric?

I hear you. When TFA came out, there were so many articles I read about the lineage that I couldn't attribute this properly if I wanted to but one in particular made the argument that Rey was just 'no one' as her voice-over says in the final TFA trailer. And that, by making her a face in the crowd that is able to tap into the force it allows for so many future possibilities with story lines rather than constricting it to this concealed universe of characters. It's an interesting thought.

I watched a video recently on just this topic. And the take away from that, for me, was that all of the questions will be answered but more subtly than just through expository dialogue. Although, I fully expect some expository dialogue between Rey and Luke. One theory goes that if you answer the "who is Snoke?" question that all of the other questions start answering themselves.

13. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

It seems to me that, given the age Rey was left by her parents, she most likely would have recognized them if they were indeed Han and Leia (or Luke). It's not like she was an infant.

My pet theory is that one of her parents was a rebel pilot (given that she has a makeshift X-Wing pilot doll in her "home").

If I recall from reading the Before the Awakening prequel book, both of Poe's parents were rebel pilots. :shrug:

14. Jason Manley

That's a fair point. And then you add in the stew that Daisy Ridley basically intimates that it's 'obvious' (my word, not hers) who Rey's parents are in TFA.

15. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

That fuels the Rey Kenobi theory, then.

It is an odd name; could very well be short for something.

16. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

She's the daughter of the new character in VIII.

17. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

She's the son of Lando and Leia with gender identity issues.

18. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

It is possible she could potentially be Leia's daughter from another father - we don't know for certain when she and Han split up. (It's assumed it was after Kylo/Ben "turned," but that's never explicitly stated.)

In real life, Adam Driver is almost ten years older that Daisy Ridley. I can see a story where Leia had to hide her potentially force-sensitive daughter from her potentially evil half-brother.

19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I take what Mark says in interviews and such with a grain of salt. He is a master at slight of mind when it comes to misdirecting what the next Star Wars will be about. But from what Ive seen and read I dont think he was a big fan of The Force Awakens. Nor do I think he likes the direction The Last Jedi is taking Luke. I dont think he and Disney are chums. Id also not be surprised if this is Mark's last SWs film.

20. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I've been watching various YouTube clips of Hamill's various speaking engagements, both at Star Wars events and his own speaking engagements, and he's hilariously dry and acerbic and kind of down on the new SW films. He tends to couch it in enough joking (e.g. "I trained and lost weight for months only to turn around and take my hood off", "I gave JJ and Rian a bunch of ideas and they didn't use any of them"), but I'm starting to wonder.

I hadn't previously thought he actually *really* hated the new films, but I think maybe he does. Or rather, he's ambivalent about them to the point of apathy bordering on dislike.

I thought one "talk" he gave where he brought up the "Transformers" movies and then pointed out that just because "The Force Awakens" made a ton of money, you can't say "ergo, it's good" was potentially telling.

mpayan and DLeet like this.
  21. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Rey-Ban Kenobi.

Lownote30 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  22. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

The way things are going this wouldn't surprise me one bit.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  23. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I think Luke is involved somehow.

24. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

No, and I think the theory is silly in that at a very basic level you don't just abandon your very young kid on some dodgy planet. It's nuts. Same thing for applies to Luke, so he doesn't know her either.

The galaxy is huge, it's not difficult to disappear. You would either go into hiding with her or leave her with friends somewhere civilized. Not dump her to fend for herself on Jakku.

25. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

But what in TFA is an obvious sign that Obi Wan is her father???? Nothing points to that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.