Star Wars: Episode VIII (The Last Jedi) - SPOILERS POSSIBLE*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MLutthans, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Only one thing is certain about Rey from TFA - Kylo Ren obviously knows who she is. The way he reacted when told a girl was involved, and the way he panicked when she escaped.

marblesmike likes this.
  2. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Fair enough. So, taking this opinion into account, Daisy Ridley intimates that the answers are all right there in TFA; if not them then who?

3. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I think she is messing with us. If it was obvious then we would all be aware of it before she said anything.

If she was being truthful then Mas says her parents are not coming back, in which case they were probably no-one special and long dead.

4. Jason Manley

That definitely goes along with some of the theories I read right after the release of TFA that suggested that Rey was indeed "no one". Just a body that the force reached out to.

5. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

It is also possible that her parents aren't the ones who actually left her on the planet, correct?

6. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

"Just a body that the force reached out to"...that is lame, if that is the punchline. Not that I believe it is. Its obvious to Daisy but not to the fans. Got to be within the original trilogy family then. Doesnt matter to me much, there are a lot of other things that could stink this film up than who Rey's parents are...

Still hoping for the best and that Mark is simply sidetracking us with his comments. Hope so anyway.

7. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

I smell money

Jason Manley likes this.
  8. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I think no, as she says she is waiting for her family to come back, so by extension it must have been her family who left her there. Maybe not her parents but certainly Somme part of her family. They told her they would be back for her, which explains why she wants to get back there. Its been in her mind since she was young.

9. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

the voice in the flashback point to it.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  10. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

In that case she could be Yoda's kid, too.

Jim B. likes this.
  11. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I hope you're wrong, because if it weren't for these new films, his on-camera work would be virtually zero. So, really ungrateful if true.

12. Jason Manley

I have a feeling that no matter who Rey's parents are, some fans will be disappointed. I'm trying hard not to care. Just enjoy the ride (and have fun speculating). :)

mpayan likes this.
  13. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Is it possible that there were many extra scenes that were filmed for The Force Awakens that expand on her origins, but we were cut? In that case, Daisy would have acted them out and have remembered them, but the public wouldn't be privy to that info.

Jason Manley likes this.
  14. Jason Manley

Obi-Wan is obviously reaching out to her there but I don't think the parentage would be so esoteric to general audiences. Do you? I would venture to guess that the general film-going public didn't pick up on that that was Kenobi speaking to her, much less that it's Guinness and McGregor stapled together. Of course die-hard fans did but I have my doubts if they would make it so "un-obvious".

Do we know where TK421 was when he left his post? I smell a paternity test coming!

Rocker, ohnothimagen and Rubber65 like this.
  15. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

That's hot.

16. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Im leaning towards Luke being dad. There are just too many similarities and connections. The piloting skills. The natural abilities like Gramps Anakin. He is "kin". The parallels to Lukes story. There are even power converter connections.

Jealousy is the root of the story here.

I think Kylo being older took Rey and dropped her off on Jakku. She was there training with Luke also as a child. Kylo Ren was jealous. That is why he freaked out so much when "a girl" was mentioned. "What girl?". He probably regrets not killing her. But she is blood, so thats why he didnt.

There is that "Come join me" found in Skywalker blood. Family. Look at her flashback. How did she know all that stuff? She was there, thats why. As a very young child. When Kylo was probing her thoughts he saw an island. How was that in her mind? All she saw was a map. She was there with her father as a child. Luke was mentoring her then. And Kylo couldnt stand that she was more powerful.

Remember Leia, Kylo's mom, is force sensitive. But in a different way. Kylo is the same. Yet he wanted to be powerful. To wave a lightsaber. He was to be a more peaceful/general/political figure. He wanted to be a warrior. So he went nuts and killed all the training Jedi in a coup. And then kidnapped Rey to Jakku.

Thats it.

Aaaaaand Im probably totally wrong

Luke The Drifter and bluesbro like this.
  17. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Hmmm, but does Rey ever hint at recognizing Ren when he takes his helmet off?

Gah, theory blown. Back to the drawing board.

18. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

If you want it to as it could mean anything. It certainly isn't obvious if that is the 'evidence'.

19. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I respect for the guy for being straight about how he feels. I'd be much more disappointed if he lied and heaped praise on the stuff just to keep a gig.

And frankly, if Disney ever wanted to include him in the film series, his actual "person" for lack of a better way to put it, is his best bargaining chip. He apparently still doesn't really get any input into anything and is indeed collecting the undoubtedly epic paycheck (especially for the first film).

For all we know, Luke dies in the next film. But I'm also thinking it's possible, with the death of Fisher and killing off Ford's character, that Hamill might be even more important to Disney now to keep a key tie to the original films.

So maybe that's the tradeoff. They need Hamill, but he doesn't really get any input into anything, so the tradeoff is he's a little wry and sarcastic when speaking in public. It's not like he's overtly bashing the films or anything. Indeed, as I mentioned, it wasn't until very recently that I sensed he might actually seriously dislike "The Force Awakens."

Hamill was apparently essentially given a gag order up until the release of the "Force Awakens", and he has humorously but perhaps with some seriousness joked and complained about that.

So it's not like an Edward Norton/Hulk or Jim Carrey/Kick Ass sort of situation or something.

It's also interesting to note that Hamill signed on for the films *before* Disney bought Lucasfilm. Hamill didn't know he was going to be working with Disney, nor JJ Abrams (and Rian Johnson, etc.).

20. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

I remember reading about the first words of the Last Jedi was "Who are you?" or something along those lines, so there's a high likelihood that Luke is not her father.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/these-are-probably-lukes-first-words-in-the-last-jedi-1793086672

21. Jason Manley

I read that too. Some made it sound like that the sizzle reel that was shown to investors was basically the trailer — obviously that isn't true. Doesn't mean that those aren't the first words spoken by Luke though.

In (I think) the final theatrical trailer for TFA, Maz can be heard in a voice-over asking "Who Are You?" and Rey replies "I'm no one". Was Rey's line "I'm no one" actually spoken in TFA? I don't remember.

22. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

Jason Manley and marblesmike like this.
  23. Jason Manley

What if, in the end, the question of Rey's lineage is nothing more than a plot device? The reason that none of the theories are 100% fool proof and do not stand up to scrutiny is because they are merely filling a vacuum. An void created by Michael Arndt, J.J. Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan. Similar to the box that Catherine Deneuve opens in BELLE DE JOUR. Or the briefcase John Travolta opens in PULP FICTION.

What if, in the end, it doesn't matter who her parents are. It matters that she tapped into the force and is able to "bring balance". That may not be satisfying to some people but I actually would be okay with it. I don't mind open ended storytelling.

There's also a line in the novelization of TFA (Harry Dean Stanton) where, after mind probing Rey, Kylo Ren says: "Is it true then? You're nothing special after all? You're just — a Jakku scavenger?"

The next line is really telling (Rey, thinking to herself): "How did he know that?"

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  24. Samson7

Samson7 Forum Resident

[​IMG] This guy can't wait....

25. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

The "general audience" wouldn't know a Yoda from a floater. They have a Star Wars movie that has both stars and wars.

Any specific references are intended for fans. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.