Star Wars: Episode VIII (The Last Jedi) - SPOILERS POSSIBLE*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MLutthans, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

I loved TFA, so I'm all in for JJ. It reminded everyone what a Star Wars film is supposed to feel like (which was his job).

And I have a feeling Rian Johnson will blow us away with TLJ.

artfromtex likes this.
  2. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

No issue with JJ finishing this trilogy. It makes sense given he co-wrote the overarching story the various screenplays are fleshing out. Given Carrie Fisher's untimely passing and rumor has it Leia was supposed to have a central role in IX, I imagine there will be a complete reworking of the conclusion.

3. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

They should just troll everybody to death and make Snoke actually be Jar Jar Binks the whole time.

[​IMG]

4. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

And, not surprisingly, pushed back to December 2019.

5. Bowie Fett

The new and final trailer is coming during Monday Night Football on October 9. Tickets on sale the same night.

:wiggle:

6. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

So perverse I almost like the idea.

Please note I wrote almost. :D;)

Stratoblaster likes this.
  7. Bowie Fett

As of tonight (according to Rian Johnson), the film is done. VFX, credits, music. Everything. Ready for viewing.

:agree:

bferr1, Solaris, The Hermit and 3 others like this.
  8. The Doctor

The Doctor Forum Resident

Outside of the stolen plot, TFA didn't *feel* like a Star Wars film to me. It felt like a modern Sci-Fi action film with Star Wars plot elements/characters thrown in.

9. The Doctor

I will say that the only film that even sort of felt like a SW film since ROTJ was ROTS. And that's only SORT OF. Rogue One was enjoyable but it wasn't a saga film per se so the feel was naturally different. The ending bits felt straight out of 1977 though.

Stratoblaster likes this.
  10. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

And that's still pretty damned tight; Jar Jar Abrams signed up for TFA in January 2013, it was released in December 2015... he had nearly three years to do it then, he has a little over two now... that's two years to script, prep, shoot, edit, and finish a massive fantasy film with (presumably) nearly 2, 000 VFX shots by the time it hits theaters... the December '19 release date is the bare minimum timeframe to make a halfway decent film on that schedule, and it really doesn't allow for any margin of error whatsoever.

If Disney/Lucasfilm weren't so damned greedy, intent on oversaturating the market with all things SW, and recouping that $4bn bill as quickly as possible for the shareholders (and that's ultimately what it comes down to these days in Hollyweird!), they should have dropped any idea of the Anthology films - total waste of time! - concentrated solely on the Saga, and staggered the release of the new trilogy in a more sensible manner;

Episode VII - May 2016
    Episode VIII - May 2018
    Episode IX - May 2020

That would have given everyone more time to develop and make the best films possible, it also would have spared them the frankly humiliating recent spectacle of firings/forced reshoots... and they could have done a lot worse than hiring Larry Kasdan as a co-writer/executive producer on the whole trilogy instead of wasting his talents on a Han Solo prequel film nobody ever asked for.

Hooray for Hollywood indeed :rolleyes:!!!

budwhite, The Doctor and ohnothimagen like this.
  11. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Given that tight time frame and that this is the big finale, I'd guess there's a chance this gets delayed again so that it gets done right.

12. The Hermit

Not a snowball's chance in Hades; Abrams is presumably being paid a king's ransom (not that he needs it!) precisely to get this thing in theaters by that time... ditto Ron Howard and the film he's working on currently. Hollyweird doesn't pay out willingly unless they're backs are to the wall and the profit margin/share value is threatened...

The Doctor and daca like this.
  13. Bowie Fett

Kasdan wrote the outline for the entire trilogy (and the TFA script). And if the Han Solo story is good/great/excellent, why not make a film?

14. The Hermit

I don't think he did; George Lucas had outlines for the new films running 2-3 pages each (although rumors are that was more of a bargaining chip during negotiations with Disney), those outlines were handed over to Michael Arndt who turned it into a 40-page treatment, but when J.J. Abrams came aboard in January 2013, he had a different vision and eventually Arndt left in October that same year. Between November of that year and throughout the production, Abrams and Kasdan worked on and revised their own from-scratch script.

Rian Johnson's script is entirely his own, started whilst TFA was still filming and continually revised until shooting began in February last year.

The whole saga surrounding Colin Trevorrow's (whose hiring in the first place always mystified me) firing was precisely because his vision for the IX story was not to Kathleen Kennedy/Disney's liking and relations eventually broke down between the two, leading to Trevorrow's ouster from the project. In other words, Trevorrow and his co-writer were working on a new story to finish the trilogy, not working from an already-written outline.

I could be wrong, but that's how I understand the situation.

Bowie Fett likes this.
  15. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

That seems kind of crazy, if true. They really just sit on it for nearly three months??

16. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

The Force Awakens felt more like a Star Wars movie to me than any of the prequels, which felt sterile and stilted.

I honestly don't want a 21st century Star Wars movie to have the same aesthetic and style as the original 1977 film. It would have felt tremendously dated and gimmicky, and probably would have completely taken me out of the story itself. A lot of what we all love about the visual language of the originals has to do with the fact that it's what we grew up with. But if you tried making a modern movie using those same techniques, it would look decidedly amateurish.

17. The Doctor

It didn't have the aesthetic of ANY of the films. Empire and Jedi hold up very well and wouldn't seem dated. The first film yes, because it was a cheap indie movie. Nothing in TFA reminded me of Star Wars. Not the direction, not the horrible modern color grading...Pretty much nothing aside from the familiar plot and John Williams' music. The prequels were stilted but the last one, while disjointed and with crappy dialogue, had a similar feel to me; the bad direction at least allowed it to lead into IV pretty well.

18. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

Nobody hates Star Wars quite like die hard Star Wars fans.

tkl7, showtaper, Johnny66 and 6 others like this.
  19. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

You said it. :p (apologies but it's true for Trekkies too and I can only assume it extrapolates further)

[​IMG]

Lownote30 and Encuentro like this.
  20. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

It's basically true of any hardcore fandom. With any fandom comes a very vocal minority with a sense of entitlement.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  21. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

The hype machine starts to roll tomorrow on Monday Night football.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi Trailer Tomorrow

Disney has officially announced that a new full trailer for Star Wars: The Last Jedi will premiere tomorrow evening, with tickets going on sale right after. Considering Star Wars is the hottest franchise around, Lucasfilm has been rather slight in their marketing. A teaser trailer was unveiled at Star WarsCelebration in April and we got a behind-the-scenes sizzle reel at D23 in July, but otherwise most information has come from Force Friday II and other merchandise.

Bowie Fett, Encuentro and Quadboy like this.
  22. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

There's a lot of feeling out there that the trailers that hit two months before a movie comes out tend to do more spoiling than promoting. Maybe Disney is seeing some of that and trying to react appropriately.

23. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Theatrical Poster

[​IMG]

24. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Not me. I just saw the trailer, and I can't wait!

25. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

If a trailer is supposed to make you excited...

...color me excited.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.