Star Wars: Episode VIII (The Last Jedi) - SPOILERS POSSIBLE*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MLutthans, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Kill off the droids .. that would make me happy..

2. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

More and more I am thinking Luke is going to look like a whimp in this. Not a good move imo.

daca likes this.
  3. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Here in Canada it's Thanksgiving weekend...the Showcase channel has been showing Episodes 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 all weekend. We watched 'em (like I need an excuse to watch Star Wars:laugh:) and my wife actually said, "They should have made a movie just about the droids." I looked at her like she'd just gone nuts. "What? I like the droids..." she says:laugh:

Based on the Last Jedi trailer, I happily reserve the right to be wrong, of course, but I predict that Kylo Ren blows up the ship Princess Leia is on, thereby killing both of his parents, the sick little bastid!

showtaper and Quadboy like this.
  4. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

As long as the mighty Wookie lives I'm happy.

Evan L and ohnothimagen like this.
  5. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Rian Johnson, the director, has publicly advised people who don't want to know anything not to watch the new trailer... now I see why!

Looks good overall - of course it does, it's a trailer - but some of the effects shots could use some additional work... I'm wondering if they had a deadline to finish post on this film in order to make room for the Ron Howard movie being worked on now? Finishing post on a massive tentpole movie like this a whole three months early is practically unheard of in these times...

This movie will decide for me if the Sequel Trilogy is worth it; TFA was essentially a rehash (albeit a fun one) of the 1977 film, if this new one is basically a jazzed-up Empire, which it sounds and looks like, then I'm done... especially with Abrams back for IX.

6. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

That quickly faded today :p

Rian Johnson on Twitter

Rian Johnson on Twitter

7. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

8. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

Not like she can fire him now.

budwhite likes this.
  9. bluenote

bluenote Forum Resident

Man, I loved that trailer! Unlike most Star Wars fans, I have enjoyed every single movie (yes, even the prequels) and I always feel like a kid again whenever I go into the theater to see the newest installment.

Can't wait for this!

10. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

I'm officially psyched now!

Bowie Fett likes this.
  11. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

CAN’T WAIT.

Lucasfilm are great at throwing viewers off the story trail. I’ve seen/heard many comments about the trailer being a summary of the entire film.

No.

mpayan and Jason Manley like this.
  12. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

What's with the face-tat? The kid thinks he's Tyson or something? I notice it's not in some of the scenes. Maybe this can clue us in to the scene order.

Man, if this punk kills Leia too I'm gonna jump up out of my seat and throw a soda at the screen.

I see no way of this character redeeming himself. His actions are too evil.

I hope Luke is still around for number 9. This shouldn't turn into the "let's kill all your childhood friends" trilogy.

13. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I was thinking the 'face-tat' was some sort of carbon fiber Band-Aid, like a kind of plastic surgery. I also noticed that it's not there for the end of the trailer when he's talking to Rey.

I mentioned to my son that I liked the music and he said that the trailer music is often done by a different composer entirely.

14. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

It's a bandage of some sort - Rey sliced him down his cheek during their duel at the end of Force Awakens.

David Campbell likes this.
  15. Daniel Plainview

Maybe he thought the scar made him look unattractive to Rey so he tried to jazz it up.

"It's okay...I feel it too."

Grunge Master likes this.
  16. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I'm psyched, but would like to express a couple of concerns:

• Do we really need that cute little gremlin creature? I thought BB-8 already filled the role of cute comic relief. Could be too much.
    • What was great about TFA was that most of the planets looked grounded in reality (desert, forest, snow, etc.), shot in real locations. This looks slightly like more in the style of the prequels where the worlds are completely fantastical and 90% green screen. This concerns me.

17. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I found myself pulled between feeling excited to thinking "This looks baaaaad." It could just be the trailer, which almost feels like it was edited at a board meeting.

Don't let me kill your high, though. Carry on. :)

daca likes this.
  18. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Agree - the Ewoks were awful the first time around. Don't need another attempt at cute little things that are simply there for marketing/toy sales.

daca likes this.
  19. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

This trailer was not the self-contained work of art that the Force Awakens trailer from two years ago was. This served it's basic purpose, but it didn't elicit much of an emotional response from me. It was cut more like a standard action/superhero trailer, although I don't think this reflects what the actual movie will be like. There is also at least some misdirection going on here. Don't take it all at face value.

Simon A likes this.
  20. Daniel Plainview

I agree. This and the previous teaser trailer just feel sort of poorly edited to me, as far as trailers go. The previous teaser did absolutely nothing for me. They didn't grab me by the nutsack like the one for "The Force Awakens" did. I mean...the Falcon flying around with the 'Han and Leia theme' in the background? I'm sold! True, some of the mystique has worn off this time as we sorta know what we are getting, but I still think these trailers could have been done better. Unless this is the best they can do because the movie totally blows! :)

ohnothimagen, sgtmono and Solaris like this.
  21. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Yeah, I agree. The TFA trailer was freakin' masterful and still gives me chills.

sgtmono and Solaris like this.
  22. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

I think he's going to be cranky and reluctant but not wimpy. Maybe he's gotten more in touch with his whiny farmboy roots living alone on that island. But he'll kick ass when the time comes.

Lownote30 likes this.
  23. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Looks like the 'love-child' of BB-8 and Jaba The Hut!
    [​IMG]

24. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

100% agree with all of that.

About the trailer....
    I think Snoke is speaking to Rey, not Kylo.
    Kylo's outstretched hand; is it for Rey or is that a misdirect?

25. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I'd say a majority of the trailer is misdirect. Luke even breaks the fourth wall a bit with his line "this isn't going to turn out how you imagine" (paraphrasing). The lighting on Rey doesn't look as flickery as when Kylo offers his hand in the next shot.

mpayan and Simon A like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.