Star Wars Obi-Wan Kenobi Standalone Movie Confirmed

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by neo123, Aug 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neo123

neo123 Senior Member Thread Starter

2. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

How about the plot be a Jedi Master takes an apprentice named Anakin Skywalker. Show their friendship and how one of them turns to the darkside. Retcon out the prequels.

3. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I'd love to see Ewan McGregor get a chance to play this role with a really well written script. It would make sense to follow up on what happened to Ben after the Clone Wars and before meeting up with Luke.

4. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

I've said it before, there's great potential for stories involving "Ben" adjusting to hermit life, still fighting off evil while trying to lay low – something in the vein of last year's Logan or even Mad Max.

McGregor is at the right age to portray him at this point; if they cast him, that would be perfect.

5. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Dear God, please make it stop...

6. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

Please make something new...eh...I guess...different.

Someone else rehash parts of old Hollywood and place it in a new setting.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  7. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I think Ewan's Obi-Wan is the one element of the prequels that people wouldn't mind revisiting ... unless they find a way to make a Darth Maul movie.

They could probably work Yoda into it. I don't know about Darth Vader or the Emperor... Star Wars makes it pretty clear Vader and Obi-Wan haven't seen each other since their Jedi days. And I guess he could cross paths with Luke as a boy, though after Jake Lloyd I don't think anyone is in a hurry to give a ten year old a role in a Star Wars movie.

MikaelaArsenault and Simon A like this.
  8. Classicolin

Classicolin ‘60s/‘70s Rock Fanatic/Crown Kingdom Guitarist

An Ewan McGregor Obi-Wan 'anthology' Star Wars Story film is something I've desperately hoped would never get the green-light. This may come off as needlessly venomous, but Ewan's portrayal of 'Obi-Wan', at least in Episodes II and III, was a disgrace to Alec Guinness' iconic portrayal of the character. A kindly, wise, warrior-turned-recluse, mentor-figure became, with Ewan, a stern, dour, sexually repressed, elitist disciplinarian. Everything I imagined about Obi-Wan's legendary exploits as a Jedi Knight in the prime of the Old Republic were not brought to fruition with Ewan. One of the most instantly likeable characters in the original Star Wars film became an absolute aggravation by 2002. In the two Clone Wars programmes, those desired character elements were present, to some degree, but certainly not in the latter-two Prequels.

Additionally, I'm not fond of McGregor's work other than in Trainspotting and find that his accent, voice, facial contours/general appearance, and demeanour evoke nothing of Sir Alec's original Obi-Wan. Iain Glen (Ser Jorah Mormont from 'Game of Thrones'), on the other hand, has all of these qualities that made Guinness' Obi-Wan so endearing, and would, as I see it, be the best actor to portray a younger Obi-Wan closer to his traits, characterisation, and appearance in the original 1977-1983 films.

If Disney truly feels obliged to satiate (and profit from) the Prequel fanboys who, as a rule, deplore everything released under the Star Wars banner since George Lucas sold LFL to Disney due to the maligned creator's absence from helming the franchise and Disney-era Star Wars' departure from the gaudy aesthetic of the Prequels, then they will succeed in attracting them to the theatres, at least just for this film. Keep in mind that these fanatic enthusiasts of the Prequel Trilogy zealously cling to Ewan McGregor's interpretation of 'Obi-Wan', (presumably due to his having been one of only a few cast members with moderately respectable acting abilities), and even prefer his Kenobi to Sir Alec Guinness' original 'boring', elderly character. However, returning to to that dreaded 1999-2005 interpretation of 'Star Wars' and its glaringly irreverent portrayals of some of cinema's most iconic characters (after striving so successfully, for instance, to restore Darth Vader's status as one of cinema's most iconic villains from the unadulterated, tasteless joke the character had become from 1999 onward) will result in failure with respect to their efforts to reclaim the Star Wars franchise's former integrity.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  9. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

while their are fans, and money to be made, Star Wars franchise will keep finding a way
    to regenerate.

10. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

Please, please, please be a musical...!

seed_drill and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  11. Classicolin

And have it so that, you know, Anakin (who genuinely was initially a good man and friend, unlike the anti-social cretin and whipping post for Obi-Wan as he was portrayed) and Obi-Wan actually interacted with Owen, who lived and grew up with Anakin, spurring Owen's distaste for Obi-Wan and the 'damn fool idealistic crusade' which took his star-eyed moisture-farming brother/friend Anakin off planet (instead of having Anakin only encounter Owen for the span of a what appears to be a few days, with uneventful interactions between the two characters), as this original backstory had some [read: significant] thematic importance to Luke's storyline in the original 1977 film. And make it so that Yoda truly was Obi-Wan's mentor (rather than his nursery caretaker, as it turned out), instead of this Qui-Gonn character, who is never mentioned in the original movies, despite having a critical impact on the entire saga in the Prequels. Or Obi-Wan not recognising the droids later in life due to not being in their company, rather than having been in constant contact with 3PO and R2 in his life for nearly fifteen years, in which numerous memorable exploits occurred with them in tow. :D

12. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

That has to be an important part of the story. There are lots of references to "Old Ben" hanging around in the periphery of Luke's life. After all, it was Obi-Wan's primary "mission." Maybe show what lead Owen to take such a disliking to him over time. Not saying Luke should in any way be the focus of the movie (since that would defeat the purpose of an Obi-Wan movie), but maybe a few scenes of Obi-Wan basically checking in on Luke from a distance...

Maybe some confrontations with Sand People. How else would he understand their culture so well?

13. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

The comics are filling in some info about this.

14. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

This is Star Wars not Doctor Who?

15. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

definitely not a Ewan McGregor fan. Have to agree with Classicolin

Ginger Ale likes this.
  16. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

Another one I won't be interested in seeing. As of this point, I'm mainly interested in 1977-1985? for Star Wars releases and merch.

17. Squealy

...and clearly I was mistaken!

I feel it was more the fault of the writing and Ewan could have a second chance, but I have to say your Iain Glen idea is fantastic, though he's closer to Guinness's age in Star Wars than may be desirable.

Classicolin likes this.
  18. Classicolin

I think McGregor's Obi-Wan was too distanced from Guinness' age in Star Wars than was desirable, personally. Now, with the Prequels, old Ben Kenobi is only in his mid-50s by the time of his death...

This is especially problematic as Guinness looked even older than 63, the age he was in 1977, and Han, Owen, Luke, Darth, and Tarkin all referred to him as being of drastically advanced age in the original movie.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    seed_drill likes this.
  19. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I may watch it, but I like the main movies. I still haven't seen Rogue One.

20. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

They've given themselves an opportunity to reveal that the Obi-Wan we see in A New Hope is actually a clone, thus explaining why Obi-Wan doesn't recognize R2-D2 and C-3PO. No, this is not actually going to happen. At least, I don't believe they would do something that drastic. But I, like many people, was a bit befuddled after watching The Phantom Menace regarding the fact that Obi-Wan spent time with Artoo but didn't recognize him, or acknowledge that he recognized him, in A New Hope. Shortly after seeing The Phantom Menace, I heard a rumor that it would be revealed at some point in the prequel trilogy that the original Obi-Wan would be replaced by a clone and that that clone would be the Obi-Wan we see in A New Hope, thus explaining why he doesn't recognize Artoo and Threepio. Of course, that didn't come to pass, as it was just a rumor, and Lucas simply didn't feel the need to explain some of these pesky little inconsistencies.

21. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Fixed.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  22. Squealy

The gain of resolving this inconsistency wouldn't be worth the loss of revealing the Obi-Wan who inspired Luke and taught him and gave him his father's lightsaber was not the real Obi-Wan who knew and trained and fought alongside his father. That would retrospectively harm the original movie for a cheap twist.

seed_drill and Classicolin like this.
  23. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

If Hollywood had any cajones they'd be working on a new Jar Jar movie. Which coincidentally holds about as much appeal to me as an Obi Wan or Han Solo film.

tommy-thewho likes this.
  24. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

ianuaditis likes this.
  25. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

Hopefully Kathleen Kennedy will hire the hottest Hollywood director who has a knack for comedy... oh wait...

soundboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.