Star Wars Obi-Wan Kenobi Standalone Movie Confirmed

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by neo123, Aug 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

This isn't the movie you're looking for.

Move along.

[​IMG]

2. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I think Ewan did a great turn. If they make a quality film, oddly they can make there own prequel Trilogy without George. Follow me here. The do an Obi Wan standalone. They then do a Vader standalone showing his rise to power, hunting down Jedi, etc. since Rogue 1 was a quality film, the NEW prequel Trilogy would be:

Darth Vader
    Obi Wan
    Rogue One

3. daca

Ewan McGregor is a great actor. As is Liam Nesson, but great actors cannot save crappy writing, crappy directing, crappy storytelling, crappy cinematography and especially crappy CGI.

If one assumes Leia is left on Tantive IV and Luke is left on Tatooine, Obi-wan Kenobi goes into seclusion for almost 2 decades.

Sounds like a snoozer of a movie to me. One in which I would NEVER watch, much less pay $ for it. But crazy Uncle George would probably green light it.

This order makes no sense. Top to bottom or bottom to top.

Once "Darth Vader" becomes Darth Vader, Ben Kenobi becomes a hermit on Tatooine.

Unless you are taking a Tesla view of the world and assume that the past, present and future all occur at the same time. Then it works.

Vidiot likes this.
  4. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

I think it should be 2 hours of Ben drinking beer, staring at sand dunes, inwardly hoping Luke would get off his ass and do something...

Over time, Ben starts to lose it and starts randomly killing Tusken Raiders for sport to pass the time...

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    ailgin, Grunge Master and daca like this.
  5. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

While I think it would harm Star Wars to reveal Obi-Wan was a clone... I would not be bothered by the revelation he had not actually been a hermit for the entire interim between episodes III and IV, if they got a good movie out of it. I think they could come up with one interesting thing happening to him without retconning that he spent 20 years fighting the Empire.

ianuaditis likes this.
  6. Classicolin

Classicolin ‘60s/‘70s Rock Fanatic/Crown Kingdom Guitarist

As the comics and other expanded material have delved into since the late '70s, Obi-Wan wasn't just a recluse distantly looking after Luke and moping about on Tatooine. He even insinuates that he dealt with Imperial Stormtroopers as he's familiar with their marching habits and operations in the original film. Ben was also intimately familiar with Mos Eisley and its culture and denizens. How do we not know some Bounty Hunter, Imperial agent, or so on, caught on to Obi-Wan or Luke, necessitating responses from the exiled Jedi?

7. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Sense or not, the Obi Wan film is a go. Vader obviously never finds Obi Wan on Tatooine. But their is plenty for the Dark Lord to do in his own film. And as was stated above, it should be easy to have adventures for Ben too.

Either way, the first two parts are full go, and a Vader film is easy money, so...

8. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I would have been fine with such a twist in the prequel trilogy, as it was Lucas' story to develop as he saw fit. At the time, shortly after seeing The Phantom Menace in 1999, the rumor was that the so-called "inconsistency" would have been due to the soon to be revealed plot twist, not vice-versa. The fact that Obi-Wan spent time with Artoo in The Phantom Menace would have been strategically placed foreshadowing. That plot twist, had it been placed in the prequel trilogy by the man who wrote the entire six episode saga, would not have been any cheaper than revealing that Darth Vader is Luke's father.

9. daca

If it is insinuated/implied/stated that Obi-wan is a clone, I would walk out of the theater, call my CC company and have the charge for the tickets reversed.

But as I have no plans of seeing this movie, that will not happen.

10. daca

If I were on that s----y planet for 2 decades, I would probably be plastered every day of my life.

ailgin and Grunge Master like this.
  11. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

FACE OF BOE likes this.
  12. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

They'll show Old Ben hooking up with some young space pilot on Mos Eisley one lonely night; she leaves the next day. Unbeknownst to Obi Wan, she gives birth to a child, who ends up being Rey's mother. Also, I hope there's a scene where Ben plays russian roulette with some Sand People, drunk on blue milk.

Rhett likes this.
  13. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I think a Vader film would be awesome. Hopefully based on Charles Soule's 2017 comics.

tommy-thewho likes this.
  14. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves

Maybe it will be two hours of Obi-Wan constructing his adobe house. Kind of like a Star Wars version of Walden. The kids will love it!

15. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Ewan McGregor did a film a few years ago "Last Days In the Desert" (playing both Jesus and the Devil) that, to me, kinda felt like the "lost" Obi-Wan stand-alone movie.

Jason Manley likes this.
  16. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

As long as he occasionally makes an Krayt Dragon Call noise, I'm in.

Grunge Master likes this.
  17. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

How about a movie about the sith .. their beginnings

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2017
  18. ailgin

ailgin Forum Resident

I'll watch it because I love Star Wars and Empire, but I doubt I'll enjoy it. Star Wars meant much more when it was an intelligent yet action-packed, mystical yet fun series that was Lucas's attempt to create a "modern myth." After Empire it became contrived. The writing, acting, direction, editing, etc. was significantly weaker; ILM's special effects were the last remaining vestage of the glory that was The Empire Strikes Back. I've seen Return, I've seen the prequels, I've seen the two Disney films. I know it must be a controversial opinion, but that's my story and I'm sticking with it. Sorry to be a downer, and if it's a threadcrap I apologize. I just can't help but be sad that every second of everything that happened between Episodes I and VI, and eventually between I and IX, has to be documented in a purpose-made film, mediocre films no-less.

tommy-thewho and budwhite like this.
  19. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

You know, you are very much not alone. So much of what made the OT original and interesting was the mystery and vagueness of the force and the origins of the characters. I'm not saying a good prequel Star Wars film cannot be made but, as of yet, I don't think any of the four films that precede SW '77 chronologically are in the same galaxy as any from the OT.

I didn't really even enjoy ROGUE ONE, and that's considered the 'redeemer of all things prequel', if I'm being completely frank. It felt too much like filmmaking by committee. I would much rather see new films with new ideas that take chances and maybe miss their mark, than expository backstory to a "world" that has existed cinematically for forty years.

I'm willing to give Disney another crack at it with the Han Solo film, namely based on Kasdan's involvement. But, I do fear that it (SOLO) might disappoint, ultimately. If for no other reason than it's utterly unnecessary. That said, the one good thing Lucas did with the PT is to cast McGregor. He was the one bright spot that threaded all three of those films together. Even if I felt, time and again, Lucas put him in situations where he was acting against green screen too much or the dialog was wooden as a board; not saying anything groundbreaking there, I know.

Out of all of the 'Anthology' films announced so far, this one maybe has the best chance to succeed on its own. Sir Alec gave weight and gravitas to SW '77 in the same way that McGregor provided the much needed fresh air that helped lighten the PT's more mind bogglingly overdone moments.

ailgin likes this.
  20. ailgin

ailgin Forum Resident

I'm glad I'm not alone! I agree re. Rogue One. It felt like fanservice. Ooh, add some stormtroopers, and some Death Star, and some star destroyers, and some Force, and some Vader, can't forget him... then the they framed the story around that. I think McGregor and McDiarmid were the only actors to really shine in the prequels.

budwhite and Jason Manley like this.
  21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

George hasn't had anything to do with Star Wars since he sold all of Lucasfilm to Disney five years ago for $4 billion. All the creative decisions are left up to Bob Iger and Kathy Kennedy. (I would add that from what I saw, George himself is not a crazy man -- he's actually very conservative and thinks about a lot of details for a very long time. You can make an argument that he overthinks a lot of stuff, but it's definitely not a snap decision.)

I agree with you that this would be a very, very difficult movie to write, because basically it's a guy who's trying to hide for 20 years and wait for the prophecy to be fulfilled (assuming he knows about it). One assumes that Obiwan may have been observing Luke from a distance and protecting him in some way.

The bigger question to me is what Yoda did for 20 years. When you think about it, both guys ducked out for two decades after their side lost the battle. This is all dealt with in the Secret History of Star Wars book, but I think everybody pretty much admits there's not a lot of story there beyond "they hid and waited."

supermd and daca like this.
  22. daca

Up until 1997, I had the utmost respect and reverence for George Lucas. Almost a figure larger than life.

Then he messed with my childhood memories.

And you are definitely right. He does overthink too much. It was that 20 years of overthinking bottled up and then exploded in a supernova of crazy with the "UN"Special Editions. Which is why I refer to him this day as "Crazy Uncle George."

I thought that would be Film-making 101 @ USC: Don't. Touch. Classic. Films. I'm serious. Nobody is out there altering Citizen Kane, or 12 Angry Men, or Schindler's List, or The Shawshank Redemption. Don't do it. Don't change a thing.

Apparently George didn't get the memo.

Agreed.

And unless I get a free pass to see this movie, there is no way they are getting my hard earned cash to see it.

23. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

For better or worse (most would say worse), the Prequels are pretty much a Darth Vader standalone movie.

24. Classicolin

Classicolin ‘60s/‘70s Rock Fanatic/Crown Kingdom Guitarist

The 'Obi-Wan is a clone' theory originated long before, back in fanzines in the late '70s, due to the cryptic nature of Luke's throwaway line in the film that Obi-Wan had 'fought in the Clone Wars', which was never elaborated upon in the Original Trilogy. Fans assumed that Obi-Wan was simply a literacised transcription of a droid-like clone identification (i.e. 'OB-1' or 'OB-1 KN-OB', a la R2-D2, 3PO, et al.), as no other individual had this name. 'OB-1', so it was believed, was cloned from the genetic template of a legendary Jedi Knight named Ben (or 'Ben Kenobi') and that 'OB-1 stood for 'Old Ben - 1 (first clone)'.

By the time of The Empire Strikes Back, this theory appeared to have more support as Luke's mystical vision of Darth Vader in the caves of Dagobah revealed his face underneath the iconic villain's helmet. With the film's legendary paternity revelation placed into consideration, these sci-fi minded fans theorised that Vader was but a clone of Luke's father, and that Luke may be a clone himself in this Skywalker template (presumably based on another real, legendary Jedi), as OB-1 was from the 'Ben' template.

This fizzled out with Return of the Jedi, as it didn't delve into any of this more bizarre hard-sci fi territory. By Episode I, certain fans once again brought up the 'OB-1' theory, especially since the Obi-Wan of that film interacted with the droids, as you mentioned, and the Clone Wars still had yet to be portrayed or even detailed with respect to who the clones were.

It was also frequently seen in these fanzines that some fans thought Boba-Fett was a clone (in that, they guessed right!) or even Luke's father, or that R2 had Anakin's consciousness installed in him, etc.

Simon A, Encuentro and JAuz like this.
  25. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.