Star Wars Obi-Wan Kenobi Standalone Movie Confirmed

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by neo123, Aug 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Heck, all clones? :eek:

Classicolin likes this.
  2. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

I wish Disney would stop diluting the SW franchise.

ailgin likes this.
  3. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Interesting. I wasn't aware of these early theories.

Classicolin likes this.
  4. supermd

supermd Senior Member

You're right, but they'll force a story out of it, which I dislike. I don't mind standalone films, but some we just don't need. I have no problem with the image of Obi-Wan doing his solo Jedi thing in hiding for 20 years. Same with Yoda.

I dislike when a story is forced to come up with an "answer" to something that was never a question. "Anakin built C-3PO" is the answer to "Where did C-3PO come from?", which nobody asked. It's fan service. It seems some of these standalone films are going to be all fan service. I hope I'm wrong.

5. Classicolin

Classicolin ‘60s/‘70s Rock Fanatic/Crown Kingdom Guitarist

Yes, just about everyone! In a '78 issue of Star Wars Poster Monthly a prominently featured article speculated that Stormtroppers were all clones and were reared from childhood to be perfect, impeccably obedient soldiers (a la the Jango Clones in Kamino for Episode II).

TheForce.Net - Your Daily Dose of Star Wars

This partially became the case eventually, as Lucas and co., by the mid-2000s, had it so that the Stormtroopers of the OT films were still at least partially comprised of clones (as were their similarly clad predecessors in the Grand Army of the Republic in the Prequels) and LFL media from this period all reflects that, (especially the Battlefront II game) but post Lucas-era LFL has dispensed with this for the OT Stormtroopers, and the new First Order is clearly stated and shown to not be comprised of cloning (although Kylo Ren notes that he would prefer a clone army in TFA).

Encuentro likes this.
  6. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

With so many people who are passionate about a fictional universe, it is entirely possible someone will have wondered about additional backstory for any and all of the main characters.

Maybe not to the level of wondering who this guy is, tho...

Classicolin and supermd like this.
  7. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I was just about to mention him! Yeah, I really hate to use the word "pathetic" to describe people who come up with backstories for the absolute most random, 1-second background people, but...

Classicolin likes this.
  8. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

It's all official. These people (meaning the people who write the books and magazines and cards and box notes, not the wiki authors) get PAID to write this stuff. Where do I sign up??

ianuaditis likes this.
  9. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

If a good story is there, I have no issues with more Star Wars films.

Encuentro likes this.
  10. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  11. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

George Lucas already achieved that by not dropping the mic and walking away after Return of the Jedi.

Grand_Ennui and Classicolin like this.
  12. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

13. Classicolin

And many would say it was achieved by Lucas not dropping the mic and walking away after The Empire Strikes Back...

ailgin and Encuentro like this.
  14. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Close.

15. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

16. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

bluesbro and 5th-beatle like this.
  17. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Me and a buddy came up with a bunch of hypothetical titles for a U2/Star Wars soundtrack
    "Red Hill Moisture Farm"
    "With Or Without Luke"
    "In Jabba's Country"
    "Bullet the Blue Milk"
    "Trip Through Your Womprats"
    "I Still Haven't Found the Droids That I'm Looking For"

With outtakes and B-sides:
    "Force Ghost/Introduction to Songs of the Empire"
    "Credits and Wupiupis"
    "Luminous Beings (Hold On To Crude Matter)"
    "Drunk Corellian/Alderran"

New lyrics for "One Tree Hill":
    "Jawa sang, his song a weapon in the hands of love..."

Silly way to fill ten minutes...

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    Sammy Banderas, Scopitone and Quadboy like this.
  18. The Hermit

Jedi is clearly the weak link of the original trilogy - for a number of reasons - but, like The Godfather Part III, it's still a worthy-if-flawed and necessary conclusion to the saga in question, with some terrific and classic moments throughout.

I just wish Lucas had done what Coppola did with The Godfather trilogy, or what Zemeckis did with the Back to the Future trilogy... walked away and never looked back.

19. vzok

vzok Forum Resident

Grunge Master likes this.
  20. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

...there's a lot of mystery out here in the sand. Like what happened to all of those missing Sandpeople? And all of those missing people asking about the missing Sandpeople? Any why people whisper to never go out to the edge of the dune sea...

SizzleVonSizzleton likes this.
  21. Classicolin

I agree, and although Return of the Jedi is indeed severely flawed (e.g., Lucas made a huge mistake hiring Richard Marquand to direct Jedi, and the budget-over-expenditures on Empire gave us the uninspired Redwood Forest setting and Ewoks, Ian McDiarmid's Emperor was pure cheese, Obi-Wan's spirit somehow having the capability to sit on a material object with the log, Boba Fett's anti-climactic demise, and Han Solo/Harrison Ford's minimal, nearly out-of-character role, among numerous other examples), it nonetheless revived more of the swashbuckling, light-hearted tone of the original Star Wars film, which The Empire Strikes Back almost entirely lacked. Although, I would say Godfather III was more akin to The Force Awakens in that it was a sequel made long after the its preceding instalment with a similarly troubled plot and utilisation of veteran cast members, whereas Return of the Jedi was released in the same three-year interval after its preceding film as was Empire to the original.

The Hermit likes this.
  22. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I much rather would have an Obi Wan film than a Rogue One, to be honest.
    Han Solo is my 2nd favorite character in the entire SW universe, and I have no desire to see his movie. None. It doesn't interest me in the bit. You don't need to know everything; part of his allure is the fact that you don't know anything about him.
    Star Wars is ingrained in my freaking DNA; as a kid, it was the first thing that I absolutely was amazed by, and that's half of what the appeal is today-I hear the music start and the title hits the screen, and the hairs stand up on my neck. I love it. It's like an old friend that I miss dearly-or at least, it was. What happens if that old friend moved next door? You'd see him all the time, and the excitement wears off until it's not that big of a deal. That's where SW is going. I used to think that there was no such thing as too much Star Wars, and you know what? I was wrong. I don't need it every year. I could take a new Episode every couple of years, and a standalone every 3-5 years, and that would be good. I don't need to see one every single year.
    It reminds me of Pixar or Dreamworks movies; you know, the ones that are entirely animated. When those first came out, it was unbelievable how amazing they were. You couldn't believe what you were watching. And there would be one only every few years. Now, there's one every couple of months. It's no big deal. That's where this is headed.

ailgin and SizzleVonSizzleton like this.
  23. The Hermit

Jedi has inherent flaws, but most can be easily understood and explained;

* The script isn't as sharp or as tight as it's two predecessors because they had roughly three months less to hone and refine it than on either Star Wars or The Empire Strikes Back; filming had to begin in mid-January of that year - instead of the usual late March filming starts of both aforementioned predecessors - to accommodate the unprecedented scale and complexity of the visual effects on Jedi... around 950 shots in all, an extraordinary amount for a 1980's film, and it nearly broke ILM to achieve that; they were working 20 hours a day, six days a week to meet the deadline.

* Lucas hired Richard Marquand because he couldn't hire a member of the DGA, so goodbye Spielberg (his preferred choice of director on that film) or any other American director. Plus, Marquand worked well with actors, got on with Lucas very well, and was going to be much more collaborative than an A-List director... it was a logical decision on Lucas' part after the profligate overruns on Empire, especially when every dime of the budget was coming from Lucas' own pocket. I thought Marquand did a solid job overall, given Lucas' much tighter creative reins on that film than on it's predecessor.

* I believe Han Solo's minimum central involvement in the post-Tattooine scenes was because Lucas still wasn't sure that Harrison Ford was coming back, and they left themselves some room if he decided not to, Ford signed on quite late as I understand the situation at the time, and by then, Lawrence Kasdan was already deep into writing the shooting script, plus Lucas had already vetoed killing Han Solo in that film, so it was just easier to keep things as they were, considering the already-compressed prep schedule they were working on.

* The Redwood forest setting hadn't anything to do with the budget; it was part of the story from the outset, and was even part of Lucas' initial rough drafts back in the mid-1970's when he was still developing Star Wars as a whole, it was cut from the first film for budget reasons early in the process.

* Ian McDiarmid's Emperor is one of the greatest and most genuinely malevolent screen villains of all time, so I have to disagree with you on that one.

I look at The Godfather Part III as an integral concluding part of the Corleone saga... The Force Awakens is a continuation of the SW saga, and not a particularly integral one at that, it has to be said, I don't think it added anything of substance and was almost entirely a rehash of what came before...

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  24. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I said in the thread a few years ago that Disney is going to milk this thing dry. If you don't think that there isn't someone over there trying to conceive a Guido or Tauntaun origin story... your crazy.

25. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

Agreed.

Teddy Bears with rocks and sticks defeated an entire legion of the Emperors best troops AND the Imperial officers/soldiers/workers already on the moon.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.