Star Wars - The Digital Movie Collection

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MemoInPR, Apr 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo Thread Starter

2. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Unfortunately, not the unaltered original trilogy. Blu-ray release of the unaltered original trilogy in November just in time for the holiday season and the release of The Force Awakens? Perhaps.

3. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

"Prepare to be disappointed all over again...but this time you can take it with you on your phone" should be the tag line used in the advertising.

4. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

5. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I don't get it. Why would anyone pay $99 for a digital version when you can get the beautiful blu ray box set for $89? And what do you really "own"? That whole business model is going to blow up the first time one of these companies go off line and take your content with them. In my view, you are getting absolutely nothing at all! To me, you are renting until the company disappears. Could be tomorrow or ten years from now, but they should not be marketed as "yours"...or am I totally missing something? In other words, can you still watch your purchased videos if they disappear?

6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Strictly speaking, even when you but a DVD/Bluray, the movie is not yours to own. You're just buying a license to play the disk on a DVD player. If current players are superseded by some other tech in the future (and not backward compatible) and your own player breaks down, then you will not be able to play your movies anymore. You do not have the right to substitute your movie DVD for the technology that supersedes it. That is, you will have to purchase a new copy and a new playback machine.

No. The SW digital movies will be available from Amazon Instant Video, iTunes and Google Play, and they will all have DRM with varying restrictions (such as how many devices you can play them on or the type of device itself, etc).

With iTunes, you are limited to watch the movie only on Apple’s products (iTunes, iPhone, iPad, iPod, Apple TV) and you can only watch the movie on 5 devices at most with iTunes home sharing function.

Basically, DRM always has, and always will suck!

Smiths22 likes this.
  7. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

so if BR/DVD players do become obsolete,i would be happy to take the Vidiot route and copy discs to HD's instead of investing in a new format............no more purchases necessary!

8. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

The DVDs and Blu-rays that have been sold already aren't digital?

delmonaco and mmars982 like this.
  9. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

That's what they want you to believe. Just like that commercial I saw recently on TV that claims their new sunglasses allow you to see in HD.

Uncle Meat and mikeyt like this.
  10. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

If you participate in "Disney Movies Anywhere", buying the titles from either iTunes, Google Play, or Vudu will make them available on all three platforms as well as Disney Movies Anywhere itself. You have to link your accounts, but it is pretty easy to do.

11. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Star Wars (or as it is now know as A New Hope in it's ruined form) won't transfer to the Disney Movies Anywhere program.

12. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I'm still holding out hope for that, too. It would be a pretty big and easy way to build hype and goodwill for Episode VII.

13. This brings a question to my mind. As a life long member of the Star Wars generation I have many things related to Star Wars but I am not really a "collector".
    I do own the full collection of the original, unaltered, first three movies on THX-VHS. I think I have played them maybe twice each so they are still perfect if not damaged by time.
    Is there any value to this set of VHS tapes? If so what is that value?
    Also, what would you suggest as the best way to transfer these movies to a better format that is not so fragile, say DVD for instance?
    Thanks and have a great day.

14. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I have no doubt that they will sooner or later do the “unaltered” films and whatnot. But this particular iteration doesn’t get the “Lucas-free” era for the original films off to a good start. Are there really any substantial number of Star Wars fans who were waiting for “Digital Copies” to purchase? I acknowledge that far more folks use UV codes and whatnot that I would have ever guessed. But does anyone want to pay, as someone else pointed out, MORE than it costs for the Blu-ray set, to *purchase* digital copies?

I’m curious if they’re just trying to milk this thing one more time *before* they go back and do the whole thing over again with “unaltered” versions.

15. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Don't waste your time transferring them, just find copies of the DVDs that included the original unaltered version as "extras." That's the best official version available at the moment, sadly.

ribors likes this.
  16. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

They VHS tapes are being sold on Amazon. They're not really worth very much.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&qid=1428424884&sr=1-1&keywords=star+wars+vhs

17. guppy270

guppy270 Forum Resident

They should've thrown in the Star Wars Holiday Special as a bonus~!

I wonder if, now that SW and everything related is out of Lucas' control, if he could still block the release of the Holiday Special....or if he made it's non-release part of the deal ("Now, Disney, you have to promise me that you'll treat this like Song of The South..." lol).

Mark Nelson likes this.
  18. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Around the net you can find and download the "de-specialized" trilogy, HD cuts of the films where fans put the movies together in their original edits. I have them and they look and sound fantastic.

19. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Buy it one more time before the original cuts are released on DVD!

...then downloads...

...then blu-ray...

...then 4K Blu-ray...

...then...

20. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

At least they gave up on re-releasing the films in faux 3D. Probably didn't help that they started that campaign with Episode I, so it ended up being a flop.

21. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

The accepted industry term for non-physical media/streaming releases is "digital copy", frequently shortened to "digital", and has been for seven years or so. That semantic battle has already been lost.

lbangs likes this.
  22. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

All makes sense. But, at least if your dvd player breaks you can replace it. I guess I'm just getting old....I want to hold it in my hand! But I have to admit my college aged kids don't care about that. I still think one of these providers is going to disappear with everyone's purchased movies and the younger folks will learn a lesson about all this cloud stuff. I won't ever totally trust it. But...it is just movies. Replaceable.

Mark Nelson likes this.
  23. Huh, I'll bet money I already have the DVD's you speak of. Being a known Star Wars fan I get gifts and such, you know, and I have not perused much of the "extra" data on the DVD sets I currently have. Possibly right in front of me all this time.

24. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

A
    A great question. Is there really a market for this? Doesn't anyone wanting these films already own them? And, when I watch Netflix on my 145" screen (I know....that size is by far the exception) it is nearly unwatchable. I would never substitute physical discs for streaming! To be fair, normal DVDs don't look good on that screen either, but blu rays are fantastic.

Mark Nelson likes this.
  25. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

Then back in the Disney vaults!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.