Star Wars: The Force Awakens coming to 3D blu-ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bryan, Aug 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr. Thread Starter

Larry Mc likes this.
  2. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

I don't have a 3D setup but I would like to have the extras not on the current BR.

3. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

Not when you did not purchase the original Blu Ray and when you do not plan on purchasing this one. Diznee and Crazy Uncle George get no more of my money. I'll let my procurement department acquire this for me. Can I say that? I think I just did.

But I agree with your sentiment.

4. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

Disney seems to be building a track record of 3D related insults.

How else do you explain that "Maleficent", "Ratatouille", and "Frozen" in 3D have not been made available in the North American market, even though they are available elsewhere?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maleficent-Blu-ray-3D-Region-Free/dp/B00KL779CY/
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ratatouille-Blu-ray-3D-Brad-Bird/dp/B00KFDR1GS/
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Frozen-Blu-ray-3D-Region-Free/dp/B00FZM8Z7I/

At least "Maleficent" and "Frozen" are available Region-Free from Amazon UK. (The UK "Frozen" is also available from some U.S. sellers via Amazon U.S.) However, while "Ratatouille" can also be purchased, it won't work in U.S. spec Blu-ray 3D players.

Disney truly should have provided a full set of extras in both 2D and 3D Blu-rays of "The Force Awakens" for the North American market. But I have to say I'm appreciative that 3D will be coming here at all!

5. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Glad I waited to buy this.

Jerry Horne and BeatleJWOL like this.
  6. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I'm in, I have 2 3D Tvs and we have a great time watching all these 3D releases these past few years.
    I've even bought some from UK that I couldn't find here. The kids love the 3D cartoons.
    3D Tvs are getting cheaper to buy.

7. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Unless the deleted scenes include a 40 minute outtake featuring IG-88 I'm good with what I have. Thanks.

joeortonjr and SonOfAlerik like this.
  8. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

One of these days this crap is going to backfire on the studios. Disney has little or no shame.

What they should have done is release FA in UHD along with the 3D blu in a set with the theatrical trilogy in both UHD/blu. Ya know, sell the loyal consumers something amazing.

9. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I can't wait to see how they hold us over a barrel when the unmolested original trilogy finally becomes offered.

10. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

i'll be renting the 3d disc.

11. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Where can 3D blu-rays be rented?

12. The answer is that 3D TV's never really took off in North America but are popular in Europe and Asia.

Now if only my crappy-assed Samsung hadn't stopped recognizing the 3D glasses, I could watch this.

13. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

jh901 likes this.
  14. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

15. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I never considered buying the 2D version, because I knew this was coming.

Though I can see how those are pissed off who are not interested in 3D, but would like to have the extra bonus material.

16. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

If it weren't Disney's "you weren't using those firstborn children anyway" 3D prices it wouldn't be so bad...

wolfram likes this.
  17. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

I'm not bying and for two good reasons,first, I watched TFA in 3D at the cinema and I thought it was a subpar 3D conversion (maybe the cinema were I watched it wasn't set up well) and second, I see this coming in a not too distant future in UHD Blu ray and I don't want to buy the same movie three times.

18. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr. Thread Starter

There's no technical reason why they couldn't have released this right off the bat at the same time as the 2D version, with all of the special features on both versions. So it's insulting for Disney to pull such a naked money grab.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  19. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

All of the special features will be available on YouTube. You won't have to pay another red penny if that's all you're looking for.

I saw it in both 2D and 3D in theaters. It's better in 2D.

20. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

also 3dparty.org

21. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

People keep saying that but it doesn't happen. Not without having to search constantly to find the videos before they get pulled down.

22. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Just dropped on Amazon to $29.96

23. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

i ordered the UK version, which is the same except it doesn't include the DVD, from Amazon.co.uk. The price was 19.74 pounds ($26) after VAT deduction and shipping to the US so unless the UK price drops too the US edition is close enough in price now.

24. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Maybe they were too busy recovering from the making of the film to record the commentary track and make more bonus features. The making of book had to be delayed because they were too tired.

25. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

Given how great the film was in 3-D, I don't really care if this was a premeditated cash-grab.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.