Starter turntable?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Sideshow Dave, Sep 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sideshow Dave

Sideshow Dave Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi, apologies if this covers the same ground as other threads but I have a question specific to my setup. I have a large CD collection played mainly on a Naim CD-5i and Nait 5i setup. I am not looking to ditch my CDs but I have a few old LPs I wouldn’t mind playing and a friend just now gave me a deluxe edition vinyl release of Rush’s first album and I am curious to give it a spin. So I have 2 questions.

(1) what we be a fairly decent TT for a good price? What brands should I look for? This is new territory for me.
    (2). Would a TT be compatible with the Nait 5i? Can I just connect it in the back and away I go?

Thanks!!

2. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

Project & Rega

bluesaddict and Sideshow Dave like this.
  3. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

I don't think the Naim Nait 5i has an on-board phono pre-amp. You'll need a turntable with one built-in or an external phono pre-amp unit.

You might consider an Audio-Technica AT-LP5 or AT-LP7 as both have built-in pre-amps and are good value. If you want to spend less, the AT-LP120 at $250 still has a lot going for it.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    Sideshow Dave likes this.
  4. Sideshow Dave

Thanks! Excuse my ignorance... I need a phono pre-amp because the sound coming from the TT won’t be loud enough? And the Nait can’t be cranked up enough to compensate?

5. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Essentially correct but there's more to it than that. The phono pre-amp applies gain and also the proper RIAA equalization that is needed for vinyl.

Is there an input on the back of the amp that is labelled "Phono"? From pictures I found online, I don't see one.

6. Sideshow Dave

Correct, there is no phono input. Thanks for your help!

7. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

You plug your phone premp into any of your amp's inputs, and voila´! Bummer most amps don't feature a built-in phono pre these days, although it's coming back, bigtime.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  8. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Technics SL1200 MK7
    AT LP140
    AT LP5
    U-Turn Orbit Plus
    Fluance RT85
    Pioneer PLX 1000
    These would be some options, some i'd prefer over others personally.

9. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Rega P3.

Kristofferabild likes this.
  10. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

If you're going for used, I'd look into getting a Japanese branded direct drive turntable from the likes of Technics, JVC, Micro Seiki, Sony, Denon, etc.

uzn007 and mkane like this.
  11. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Or a vintage Pioneer.

12. Martin Takamine

Martin Takamine Forum Resident

AT-LP5 or AT-LP120 are good stater TTs for under $500 and both have built-in phono preamps.

Livewire91 and uzn007 like this.
  13. RONENRAY

RONENRAY Forum Resident

1)Depends on your budget the new Schiit turntable looks to me a very nice starter if you can afford it
    it have nice looks and i heard already good comments .
    If you have a limited vinyl collection and not expand it go for a good second hand turntable.
    2)I think you need a phono stage, or a turntable with a built in.

14. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident

This. Easy to set-up and great sound. Alternatively a Planar 2.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  15. nightstand68

nightstand68 Forum Resident

Fluance RT81. All I needed to do was upgrade the stylus. Belt driven and removable headshell. A great deal for budget TT.

Livewire91 likes this.
  16. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I would absolutely not consider the Schiit Sol a starter turntable. Too much setup involved, potentially touchy to even operate. Also, you can’t even buy one right now because Schiit has them on hold while some issues are worked out.

willboy, Aftermath and bluemooze like this.
  17. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

Livewire91, bluesky, uzn007 and 2 others like this.
  18. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

The RT81 does have the benefit of built-in phono stage, but if OP can spend more than its $250 price tag, I would definitely suggest the newer models (82-85) as they made major improvements over the older 80 and 81 models. Those do need a separate phono stage, which means budgeting even more for that (this is where I think a Schiit Mani may work out fine), but to me the better speed stability and supposedly better motor isolation (plus leveling feet) of the newer models would make it hard to settle for the RT80/81.

19. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

OP, do you have a budget for this?

nosliw and SirMarc like this.
  20. hbucker

hbucker Forum Resident

21. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

It is manufactured by Ya Horng, just like the Elac, TEAC TN-300, Pioneer PL-30, Audio-Technica AT-LPW30 and LPW40, etc.

22. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Interesting. Some of the pics show the AT95e cart and others show a green version of the AT100e (which is normally a red stylus).

23. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

I just bought an AR XB from a local record store with a new decent at cart for $250. Sounds great and was plug and play!

timind likes this.
  24. Jeffreylee

Jeffreylee Rock 'n' Roll Typist

For some people, a starter turntable means a budget of $399. For others, it means a budget of $1600.

What is your budget? Without that as a guide there's no point in recommending anything.

Cyclone Ranger, timind and Big Blue like this.
  25. rjp

rjp Senior Member

FYE has em for $29

it's what the kids are buying to play 25 cent used vinyl on so they can be hip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.