Starting My Vinyl Collection

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jarvius, Jul 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

well this isn't 1965 and other music formats do exist. A $100 CD player is much better SQ than a $100 turntable all day long. Vinyl is the most expensive playback option that there is. One new record is $25-$30 and the prices of used titles (that you would want to own) are going up every day. I'm not trying to be a snob, just practical.

2. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Ooooooooh. Watch "vinyls" in these parts. They can be called records, LP's, or albums. "Vinyls" will definitely get you into trouble around here.

Collecting records is a trip all its own. It requires care and attention. Don't buy a Crosley Vinyl Shredder under any circumstances. Your enjoyment of the medium will vanish. I promise. The suggestion made earlier in this thread is a good one. Avoiding digital sources can be difficult too but you'll be glad you did it.

First and most important thing when buying used vinyl: Take out the records and look at them carefully before you buy. I have been burned in the past.

Lastly, enjoy! That's what record collecting is all about. Welcome aboard!

Ed

Jarvius likes this.
  3. Nostaljack

Good. You shouldn't. He isn't hurting anyone. Discovery is cool.

Ed

Jarvius likes this.
  4. Nostaljack

Please don't think that way. You know I'm not the snarky type but thinking this way will kill off your enjoyment before it even fully takes root. I really think you'll be happier if you make your record player budget larger.

Ed

goodiesguy and Coricama like this.
  5. Jarvius

Jarvius Forum Resident Thread Starter

No harm at all.

Can you point me in the right direction? Something in the $50-$70 range.

6. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Why don't you stop in this record store - I think the owner can steer you towards a "safe secondhand turntable" within your budget, whatever that may be:

https://www.facebook.com/MobileRecords

I have no connection to this dude whatsoever. Just trying to steer you to a place in Mobile that will help you a lot more than the dishwasher store.

7. Jarvius

Thanks man. I'll look into this.

8. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Someone needs to make a little fake turntable with a CD player hidden in the back that adds a little crackle to the perfect sound forever. Buy one trashed LP to spin for show and you're good to go. Guaranteed to sound better than what comes through one of those cheapo Crosley-style TTs.

9. Nostaljack

This! Excellent advice!

Ed

10. A lot of those record shops have cool, vintage turntables to sell for around a hundred dollars. You may just cut on the LP spending for a little while in those shops with high $ marks on the records, and start your collection more slowly at the thrifts instead.

Same budget in the end. And you'll be darn glad you did! I am sure you would hear the difference.

Jerry James likes this.
  11. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

One like that undoubtedly knows too many guys. That's never good.

JohnnyQuest and Jarvius like this.
  12. David67

David67 Forum Resident

Dust on the record and the condition of the stylus concerns me also. Regardless, I am eager to return to vinyl having not spun one since the late '70s. I have a Dutch pressing of Santana's Lotus and Deep Purple's Made In Japan 1st Gramophone. along with Abraxas and Bitches Brew 40th anniversary lp. There is the cost to consider of course as original pressings are not cheap especially Jimi Hendrix and Led Zeppelin records. John Coltrane's Impulse albums would be a welcome addition to my collection and they seem to be reasonably affordable online.

13. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

Yup. Many, many, many iterations of the same thing. Haha.

14. johnaltman

johnaltman Forum Resident

ha i'm in Mobile too
    and yeah, mobile records is great its 140 S Sage Ave.
    if you were in the FYE in bel air mall, it's like 5 minutes from that. guy called Keith runs it, he's great

phish and Jarvius like this.
  15. Buddy>Elvis

Buddy>Elvis Senior Member

Hi David, I have had bad eyesight my entire life and I have been collecting and playing vinyl for nearly 30 years. I just make sure I always use the tonearm lift lever before and after playing a side. I wouldn't trust myself to just lift the tonearm and place it on a spinning record myself.

16. Jarvius

Going this Friday! Can't wait.

17. johnaltman

johnaltman Forum Resident

and these are a bit of a drive, but if you're ever over that way there's
    Dr. Music at 9 N Church Street (Fairhope, al. about half hour drive from downtown mobile)
    Bay Sound at 2001 US-98 (Daphne, al. 20 minutes from mobile)
    and the Music Box at 3960 W Navy Blvd. (Pensacola, fl. about an hour from mobile)

18. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Now THAT is a sig line waiting to happen.

Stallings likes this.
  19. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Yes, geez, try and spend as much as you can on a decent used rig with a half way decent cartridge to protect your records! You will have a great time finding stuff you like....a real fun hobby. I never had nearly the fun with cds.

20. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Yes...do not buy a Crosley! I am seeing the Project tables starting to pop up in music stores. A great starter table already set up, and it won't ruin your records.

CmoonL7, goodiesguy and Jerry James like this.
  21. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

For me it is all about my mood, and you need a collection that large if you listen that way. My collection is even larger and there is always something to listen to no matter how I'm feeling.

Jarvius likes this.
  22. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

23. Manalishi

Manalishi With the 2-pronged crown

Hmm, in the early 90s, used LPs were pennies on the dollar and CDs where $15 a pop. Now it's just the opposite. New vinyl aficionados couldn't have picked a worse time to start a collection. You really should be buying all the CDs you can now for the inevitable CD resurgence 20 years hence.

agaraffa and CybrKhatru like this.
  24. slayerhatesusall

slayerhatesusall Well-Known Member

Vinyl collecting is fun, if you go to thrift stores or look for deals on ebay you can get a great collection cheap, despite some people saying collecting records is expensive nowadays (it can be if you pay full price for everything and never get anything on sale and only buy releases from the 90's- today I guess), I've gotten lots of great records for 50 cents- $1 each including valuable ones. Also I have gotten many new (2010-2015) releases very cheap in auctions and on Amazon or Discogs as well, really good titles also. Overall I prefer cd collecting overall by a hair but records can be really fun to collect too, though it can be extremely disappointing at times (for example when I found this great space ambient record Planetary unfolding for $2 at a thrift that looked to be in decent shape but after I played it the surface noise was overwhelming, I need to get that one on cd).

25. Jarvius

Oh yeah, is the records there cheap? Like do they have $1 sections? And can I buy a player from there?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.