Starting My Vinyl Collection

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jarvius, Jul 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

I sympathize with you having limited funds to purchase a turntable. I don't disparage people for buying cheap turntables, even Crosley's... but know this -- any cheap turntable like that will be very hard on your records. A really nice turntable with a properly installed cartridge, will give you many years of listening pleasure without ruining your records.

Check out U-turn Audio turntables: http://uturnaudio.com/turntables/ They start at $179. And they look good too - much more likely to impress the ladies.
    You should also consider buying used - lots of great deals out there. Rescue an old turntable and give it a good home.

Leviathan and geo50000 like this.
  2. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

I've been to Mobile Records and I've dealt with Keith at numerous record shows. He's a great guy, very knowledgeable. He's Australian, I think and was a musician there of some note. Keith Glass, I think is his name. Even the other guy that works there (can't remember his name) is really nice also.

But.. be prepared to spend all day in there. It is a large store with a large selection, many many thousands of LPs. I made the mistake of popping in on the home stretch of a road trip and was highly tired. I only spent about an hour in there and barely cracked the surface. But, I've bought a bit from Keith at record shows and he usually has something I'm looking for.

And.. you might find some good stuff there, but don't expect it to be cheap. I don't think Keith has a dollar bin. And if he does, its going to be beat up crap.

Now.. if you are looking for the 'evergreens' (Beatles, Stones, Who, Floyd, etc.) you are going to pay the going rate. Keith doesn't just give the stuff away. But, his prices are fair and you can find some deals if you know what you are doing.

I don't know if Mobile Records sells tables.. maybe, but I'm not in the market for one. And.. please spend some money to buy a good turntable, more than $30.. more than $50... more than $70. You are going to get very frustrated very fast.

A friend of a friend bought a cheap Crosley.. got into the hobby for about 2 months and now doesn't care anymore. He bought a few brand new LPs and they skipped all over the place. The cheap needles can't track anything cut hot. It was a fad for him.

Its better to buy a good table and only a few records now, than to buy a cheap player and a whole stack of records. My collection is 5000+. Its taken me 32 years to get it that way. Records will be around. They aren't going anywhere.

Jrr and panasoffkee like this.
  3. Jarvius

Jarvius Forum Resident Thread Starter

4. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident

Keep an eye out for 78 rpm records, too, especially blues stuff.

The beauty of $1 records is buying stuff on a whim to try it out, stuff you wouldn't normally try.

5. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Good for you! FWIW: I liked your post simply because you used the word "Vinyl" as a plural correctly. So you're off to a good start!

Jarvius likes this.
  6. Jarvius

Is anyone here familiar with the Audio Technica AT-LP60? I'm in love with it.

7. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Looks like a good one. :thumbsup: A million times better than a Crosley.

If you saved a little dough and stepped up the the AT-LP120, though, you'd have a turntable that will give you 80-90% of the best sound records can give you (even considering the >$1000 units). It would be well worth saving up for, IMO.

DiabloG, goodiesguy and Jarvius like this.
  8. Jarvius

I'm going to get the LP60. It's only $103, and I can get it by next week. I need speakers. So it'll be $140 all together.

9. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Vinyls.

10. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

It's well-rated for what it is, but I don't see it having adjustable tracking force or anti-skate - these are important features, as they enable you to get your tracking force and stylus alignment right, and therefore rule out poor sound/record damage through mistracking.

In my opinion (and as Steve's original mistracking thread says), these are vital features. It also doesn't seem to have the ability to switch out cartridges, so you're stuck with the cartridge that's been pre-fitted.

Don't get me wrong - it looks like this will give you a better "out of the box" experience than a Crosley, but without adjustability or the ability to upgrade your listening experience, you could find yourself wanting to get rid and change your TT very quick.

That AT LP60 may be tempting because it's easily available but, if ou're spending that sort of money, I really would go used, personally.

ParloFax likes this.
  11. husafreak

husafreak Great F'n music that's difficult to listen to!

Interesting thread for someone like me who started buying LP's as a teenager in the 70's. And just discovered the SH forums... Time for some random observations.
    Who cares if vinyl is a fad? You buy it and you play it, it is fun and the music is always the point. Who cares whether an LP is cheaper or more expensive than a CD? You buy it and you play it and the music is always the point.
    I personally don't care whether a musical document is on a CD or an LP. But since I am old LP's seem to have more in common with me than CD's. CD's do not age but LP's do. That is so weird. I am more comfortable with things that also age.
    LP's have better artwork because it is big and you can see the damn thing.
    Regarding playback equipment and sound quality.
    I do believe that it is more expensive to get good sound from a turntable than a CD player. You should decide if that is the goal before starting an LP collection. If it isn't a priority than it doesn't matter. Get an inexpensive TT and collect away. If it is the goal then good news! A high end TT might be more fun to listen to than a CD player, mine sure is. Definitely consider used equipment if you are on a budget.
    Regarding LP quality. Unlike CD's, LP's are all over the map. For example, I just bought a new copy of Alt J's new LP and it is very noisy. It is a bad pressing. But it is new and it looks pristine in colored vinyl. But noisy. I sure wish I got the CD for half the price. Conversely, I have a copy of Black Sabbath's first LP which I bought in the mid 70's and used to play on my parents Victorola console stereo with a penny taped to the head shell so it wouldn't skip. It has seen many TT's over the years and has probably been played several hundred times. It still sounds awesome. And the sentimental value to me is significant. It is a prized possession. LP'sare fickle creatures. I have $25 180 gram remastered audiophile LP's that can't hold a candle to the original flimsy pressings, and I have $25 180 gram audiophile recordings that sound vastly better than the flimsy originals.
    I hope this is a positive post because I hate the negativity I see from many. For me it is simple. If collecting LP's gets you excited about music, that is what is important. If starting a record collection gets you in the shops and keeps you up at night spinning discs, then that is a good thing.

12. berlinerpunk

berlinerpunk Record Collector

[QUOTE="Check out U-turn Audio turntables: http://uturnaudio.com/turntables/ They start at $179. And they look good too - much more likely to impress the ladies. You should also consider buying used - lots of great deals out there. Rescue an old turntable and give it a good home.[/QUOTE]

I agree - U-turn is a great one, Audio Technica 120 is good.....or go used. AVOID CROSLEY!!

Good Luck!!
    :shtiphat:

13. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

I guess it depends on where you live. The way you describe thrift stores is how it was around here 5 years ago. I used to go a few times a week and always leave with a few albums at $1 a piece. For the past year and a half though (maybe more) there has been nothing but junk... I don't even bother going anymore. From what I've been told, either the employees grab all the halfway decent stuff or an internet reseller has an arrangement with them where the decent stuff never hits the floor. It's sad because it's become a situation where the only way to find any decent used vinyl is a retail store or the internet, both of which are way overpriced due to the trendiness of vinyl collecting. I still like vinyl, I'll just pick it up again when the hipsters move on to something else.

14. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

15. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

No, but you said your budget was $50-70. I think the Pyle is the best you can do for that money.

16. AxC.

AxC. Forum Resident

For that price range a vintage turntable might be better, but a new cartridge would also cost you almost the same. The AT60 is not bad, later on you can upgrade if you want.

Also as for buying records I would check out thrift stores and dollar bins at record stores to start off. Make sure you clean them first before playing them.

17. Jarvius

I'm going with the Audio Technica At Lp60. I found it for $90

18. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

I can understand you wanting something NEW but, if you do change your mind about used, think about eBay or Craigslist, then something like this would serve you really well,

http://pensacola.craigslist.org/ele/5109996208.html

(I'm no US geography expert, but I note that you've shopped in Mobile, so I assume that Pensacola is in reasonable proximity too...?)

This is the sort of thing that will last you a while - a reasonable weighted arm, ability to adjust anti-skate and the option to upgrade cartridge when you want (although the fitted Audio-Technica AT92 is probably better than the LP60's one already)

Anyway, best of luck.

Rachel likes this.
  19. So you only have $37 to spend on speakers? Also, what type of receiver will you be connecting the turntable to? I ask because you may need a pre-amp as well.

20. Jarvius

The ATLP60 comes with a pre amp. I'm not trying to have some state of the art setup. I found some Logitech Z200 stereo speakers for $18. I'm good with those.

21. phish

phish Jack Your Body

perhaps of interest....not my stuff. (in slidell)

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/ele/5108417023.html

For sale is the following: clearing this out of my home as it is not being used
    Bang and Olufsen Beogram EX2 turntable with mmc4 stylus $80.00
    appears to be working fine-checked it on a record but did not set up audio.
    RCA single CD player model 1050-MC works fine $10.00
    Pioneer stereo amplifier ax-3 appears to be working fine $10.00
    JVC Sp-7wd pair of speakers-$40.00 look fine
    Realistic MC-1200 pair of speakers-$15.00 look fine
    Realitisc MC-600 pair of speakers-$15.00 look fine
    Can have all six of the speakers for $50.00
    Can have all nine pieces-speakers, turntable, amp, CD player for $110.00
    Cash only and all sales are final

Rachel likes this.
  22. Jarvius

This whole technical aspect of buying a turntable is slowing turning me off. Like all I want to do is listen to music.

23. phish

phish Jack Your Body

Just don't make it technical. Buy what you want. At the end of the day, it's your money and the only person you have to satisfy is yourself.

24. Jarvius

True. But at the same time, I want something that I can have for a while. I guess I'll up my range to $150-$180.

25. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Dude, just ask for a turntable and you'll get one.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
    Dennis0675 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.