Static after Vacuum cleaning

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Positively Vinyl, Jan 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Positively Vinyl

Positively Vinyl Well-Known Member Thread Starter

So after I vacuumed couple of records (with L’art du son) once the stylus hit the record I started hearing static l. I should note that I didn’t not do a rinsing cycle so maybe that’s a problem. What do you guys think the problem is?

2. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

too much dry time.

Positively Vinyl and sturgus like this.
  3. Positively Vinyl

What do you mean? I think I rotate the record too much? How many revolutions would you say is recommended? (I have Nitty Gritty 1.0)

4. My first guess as well. 2 revolutions or so. Zerostat after.

Positively Vinyl likes this.
  5. Positively Vinyl

Ok, so can I re-vacuum them? Using your suggestion?

6. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

That's a manual rotational device. So rotational speed is in play, as well. If you are rotating the record slowly because the bearings are contributing, maybe buy the $15 KAB GLIDING PLATTER PLUS for an improvement.

7. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Yes, if you get static after cleaning a record then repeat and spread out new L'Art du Son and try to decrease the number of rotations with the vacuum running. Experiment till you find a procedure that's working for you to avoid static build up.

8. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I have had the same thing happen. It seems like there is a little bit of a trick to drying just enough to get the record dry. I’ll just hit it with a Zerostat if I get to the point of static. I don’t rinse L’Art du Son, either, I just vacuum it off.

GyroSE and Positively Vinyl like this.
  9. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. :)

I have a Nitty Gritty 1.5fi - automatic version and I pump & scrub for 5 revolutions, then vacuum for 5 revolutions. I do the exact same thing for the second side and never have static issues. I recall vacuuming records 2 or 3 revolutions on one side (because one side looked a lot cleaner then the other) and 5 on the second (dirtier)side and ended up with static so I stopped doing that.

CCrider92, F1nut and Positively Vinyl like this.
  10. I would probably start over - further vacuuming a dry record would invite more static. Start over using your normal procedure, but be careful to not over vacuum. Use a Zerostat (or similar) if you have one. If you don’t have one, but the static issue persists, consider getting something designed to get rid of it. Where you live and the humidity levels in your house makes a big difference as to how big of a problem static can be.

11. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Yes, humidity levels... I am actually really hesitant to even vacuum a record right now, it’s just been so dry in our house. I may even have committed the sin of only Zerostating and dry brushing a new record before playing it recently... :yikes:

GyroSE, Jerk The Handle and SoCalWJS like this.
  12. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

When I get static problems out come the dryer sheets. You can laugh but it works.

Dave Mac likes this.
  13. Positively Vinyl

Should I get a gliding platter plus? Or the “Big Hand Turner” because after I clean 2 records I can’t turn the record with the Turner (it just wont turn), instead I rotate the record by only touching the outside of the record (without using the Turner)

14. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

I routinely vacuum 4, 5, 6 revolutions on my Okki Nokki and never have a static issue.

15. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Yes it’s a bit tricky, the only thing to do is to try to find a balansen where there are enough rotation to make the record dry and at the same time avoiding static build up. I must say I since I found that balance rarely have problems with this though the indoor climate here is dry.

Like you I don’t rinse during the cleaning process, I did make tests in the beginning when I got my Okki Nokki rinsing both one and two times. To these ears there’s no audible difference between rinse or no rinse. But that’s me.

16. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

I'd try using ionised water, rather than distilled, for the concentrate and final rinse, I've done that in the past and any static issues disappeared.

17. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

This is normal during winter especially. Minimize rotations and give the LP 1 play to discharge, then you should be good.
    A rinsing step helps as you can leave the record a little wet and let the rest airdry, its also recommended with any cleaning method.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  18. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

My record doctor V is similar to your machine. Even in the dry winter I get no static after a cleaning.

I use the mofi solution.
    Rotate the LP 3 X without vacuum and pre- clean using a brush.
    Apply a line of fluid, work in for 3 rotations with the mofi brush.
    Vacuum slowly 3 rotations.
    Place LP in a wire rack for a few minutes.

19. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Same for me!

20. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

It may help for the reason you explain, but L’Art du Son does not recommend rinsing. It also seems to me air drying gives airborne dust (which is likely to be present in a room where static is such a problem) an opportunity to land in a still-wet groove and cement in place when dry, so I don’t like it.

21. Leonthepro

I use Lart Du Son as well, theres nothing special about it that bypasses a need for a rinse step as I can tell.
    You may be right in theory about leaving it wet, but you always will as the lips get soaked.
    If its such a worry however I dont see why LDS gets a pass from leaving residue and cementing.
    Which by the way, it does, you can sometimes tell by seeing small white specks on the deadwax.

22. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I’m just going by the directions on the bottle. Some solutions include a rinse step in the directions, but LDS does not. I’ve found a rinse to be a waste of water and time, but of course YMMV.

23. Leonthepro

Right, Im just saying, if a minimum amount of water left to dry is in theory dangerous to leave for dust, then Id say the same goes for LDS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.