Static with new cartridge

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LitHum05, May 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

I have a Denon TT, also had same problem with a 110....its weird because haven't had problem with any other cart...2M Black and now Soundsmith, no problem with static...

LitHum05 likes this.
  2. UnityCoupled

UnityCoupled Forum Resident

Interesting thread. I have a DL-110 on my TD-125 mk II and my cork mat sticks to my records 98% of the time, but I never thought anything of it. I have not tried other carts.

3. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura Thread Starter

You would think it would be a perfect match. I’m curious about the DL-103. Do you know how that one compares with the 110? Static problems too?

4. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

never had one...it baffled me also, but no problems with the other 2 carts I've had since...

5. LitHum05

Well, when you get a chance please give me your opinion on a good cart for after the 110. I put an AT95e on the tone arm. No static, but it sounds like crap compared to the 110. The 110 is super refined. I’d like something similar in terms of velvety sound but without the static issues.

6. Harrocks

Harrocks Well-Known Member

kind of snap - sorry to resurrect - but did you ever solve it LitHum05?

I've gone from a ... AT95e (no static) to a nag. mp110 - lots of static.
    go back to the AT - no problem, etc etc.

realise I've had the odd cartridge with this problem before - a tell-tale sign (it seems) to me - is a fizzing as the cartridge is lifted away from the vinyl surface (listening on h/phones, loud).

thread on vinyl engine - someone saying the same thing - and I believe one of the buyers on amazon uk says his developed the same ('static' he doesn't elaborate) problem ...

7. LitHum05

I switched to an LP Gear Bin 323. It’a still an MC cart so it gives you the refined sound. It’s a bit more expensive then the DL-110 and frankly the Denon has better bass (plus equal or better refinement). But with no static problems to speak of, I’ll take this combination over the stress of the Denon (which I sold months ago).

8. Harrocks

Harrocks Well-Known Member

so this is strange - there seem to be certain cartridges that are prone to this - both MM and MC (I've seen a thread where posters are discussing the same issue with a rega cartridge - possibly the ely), whatever the reasons ultimately.

while most people report no problems at all, there are enough cases detailed by clearly reasonable people (this doesn't necessarily include me :whistle:) to convincingly indicate it's a 'thing'.

I've contacted the retailer regarding a return for, as far as I'm concerned, the cartridge is defective / unfit for purpose - but I suspect I'm not going to get far with that.

the odd thing is that I'm not seeing / feeling signs of static in terms of the platter mat etc (or at least haven't been doing during these recent problems with the Nag).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.