Status Quo album-by-album thread (50 Years of Quo)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JulesRules, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I thought the unreleased demo songs on the CD were all poor. They made the right decisions.

Of course though, there's also a non-album B-side - Hard Ride. I like it as much as some of the album tracks.

2. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug Thread Starter

Ouch!
    Double ouch!

Ma Kelly and Man at C&A like this.
  3. Johns44

Johns44 Forum Resident

1. Whatever You Want (Parfitt/Bown) 4:04 One of Quo's most recognisable songs. Covered by Scooter (with Quo) a few years ago. I remember the disgraced Jonathan King saying this was one of the best intros of all time. Great song on album and live.
    2. Shady Lady (Rossi/Young) 3:00 Rough and ready from intro to end. great little album track.
    3. Who Asked You (Lancaster) 4:00 One of the best things Quo have ever done. Fantastic song and probably one of the last great songs Mr Lancater wrote.
    4. Your Smiling Face (Parfitt/Bown) 4:25 Good but not great. Typical Parfitt song so you know what to expect.
    5. Living On An Island (Parfitt/Young) 4:48 Fabulous and real shock at the time when it was released as a single. Great vocal from Rick and Alan's bass playing on this one I think is some of the best he ever did.
    6. Come Rock with Me (Rossi/Frost) 3:15 ~ Love how this eases into Rockin On. Great start to what was the second side of the album
    7. Rockin' On (Rossi/Frost) 3:25 => 6:41 as above
    8. Runaway (Rossi/Frost) 4:39 Love this. Drives along at a great pace
    9. High Flyer (Lancaster/Young) 3:47 An ok one and after Who Asked You it kind of pales in comparison
    10. Breaking Away (Rossi/Parfitt/Bown) 6:40 Great end to the album and again shows some versatility from the band.
    1. Hard Ride (Lancaster/Green) [B-Side of “Whatever You Want”] 3:36 [2005 reissue] Liked this as a b side. Quite poppy
    2. Living On An Island [Single Version] (Parfitt/Young) 3:55 [2005 reissue]
    Demos/Outtakes (As It Happens)
    3. Bad Company [Studio Outtake] (Williams/Hutchins) 4:30 [2005 reissue]. I love this and think it should have been on the album
    4. Shady Lady [Studio Demo] 2:51 [2005 reissue]
    5. Rearrange [Studio Demo] (Rossi/Frost) 3:08 [2005 reissue]

A fantastic return to form after the Heat album. Up there with the great Quo albums for me.

4. Johns44

Johns44 Forum Resident

Think probably the first time I've disagreed with you. Stones is a stinker but Bad Company is way better (obviously in my opinion)

JulesRules and Ma Kelly like this.
  5. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I really like Whatever You Want. I watched one of those video's people put on youtube to show you how to play certain songs. The intro to WYW I admit I had always underestimated, I've always liked it but never really considered how it was played. Think I have underestimated Rick's abilities. He is a wonderful rhythm guitarist but also able to write some rather complex parts. Unless of course it was Andy Bown who wrote that part, who knows, but its very impressive.

Living on an Island is a gem. One of my favourites. Unexpected but top quality.

JulesRules and Man at C&A like this.
  6. JulesRules

From what I know, Andy wrote the main part of the song but Rick added the intro. It came from experimenting with drop-D tuning, which was not common back then.

Almost Simon likes this.
  7. JulesRules

1980: 12 Gold Bars
    12 Gold Bars

1980: 1) 12 Gold Bars

(somebody else please post the cover)

After a long run of successful LPs and singles (nine in the Top 10) on Vertigo, the record company decided to release a sum-up of the era up to that point. (Pye material was constantly reissued and re-compiled, but that’s a topic of itself.)

Thanks to a gazillion of compilations (many including far more than this one), “12 Gold Bars” has become rather obsolete now, but as far as single LP compilations go, this one is still close to perfection. It actually includes ALL Vertigo singles released before 1980 with the exception of “Accident Prone”. Also, it marked the first LP release of “Wild Side of Life” and the single versions of “Down Down”, “Caroline”, “Mystery Song” and “Living on an Island”. The one big negative is the inclusion of the studio “Roll over Lay Down” instead of the charting live single, an error that several later compilations (“Rockin’ All Over the Years” and “Whatever You Want – The Very Best of Status Quo” aka “Gold”) would unfortunately repeat. “Pictures” was the first compilation with the live version instead.

In any case, “12 Gold Bars” is such a great title, referring to the twelve “golden hits” on the LP (= each one gold bar) as well as the 12-bar blues form. And if you look at the cover, you can see mostly twelve guitar frets…

I know the CD is well liked on this forum; it certainly stands up pretty well for being such an early CD but most of the songs sound better to my ears on other CDs (compare ROLD on 12GB and the deluxe edition of Hello!). Some tracks do sound a bit thin here.
    1. Rockin' All Over the World
    2. Down Down (Edit)
    3. Caroline (Edit)
    4. Paper Plane
    5. Break the Rules
    6. Again and Again
    7. Mystery Song (Edit)
    8. Roll Over Lay Down
    9. Rain
    10. Wild Side of Life
    11. Whatever You Want
    12. Living on an Island (Edit)

Almost Simon likes this.
  8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

12 Gold Bars was my first Quo album and I played it to death! Not much to say apart from it's perfect.

Because it's so concise due to it being a vinyl era compilation it's easy to listen to in one sitting. This stops it being totally redundant to me. Later compilations add comparatively mediocre later singles, some of which I'd rather weren't there.

Overall, Pictures is my favourite Quo comp. But for the purists and a run of familiar rockers, 12 Gold Bars is the way to go. Classic Quo.

Gavaxeman and JulesRules like this.
  9. Almost Simon

Didn't know that. Its a hell of a great intro.

JulesRules likes this.
  10. Almost Simon

My first Quo album was the double vinyl, 12 Gold Bars Vol. 1+1. Lovely record, havent played it in years but will dig it out for a play when i get home.

Great compilation. Obviously not comprehensive but does exactly what it says on the tin. For anyone dipping their toe into some Quo for the first time it's pretty much perfect.

11. When greatest hits albums really meant that....
    For the casual listener, look no further.

12. Johns44

Johns44 Forum Resident

You can't really beat 12 Gold Bars as a concise collection of the hits. Perfect in every sense.

13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That double is what I started with. Vol.2 is good too, but there's a couple of crap ones on that. Going Down Town Tonight is dreadful! The intro has always made me laugh though.

JulesRules likes this.
  14. Almost Simon

I'll take all of vol.2 except for Going Down Town Tonight.

15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Yeah, so would I. But vol 2 is a decline from the perfect vol. 1. I said a couple of crap ones but GDTT is the only real horror. I think it's only on there because it was their most recent self written hit single at the time. It'll be interesting to see what people think of these songs on this thread. There's a lot I like and not just the expected ones!

JulesRules likes this.
  16. Almost Simon

On vol.1 I like all.
    On vol.2 - What You're Proposin', Something Bout You Baby I Like, Don't Drive My Car, Rock n Roll, Ol Rag Blues, Mess of Blues, Marguerita Time - I like all of those, Proposin' is a "top drawer" classic Quo tune.
    Lies, Dear John, Going Down Town, Wanderer - are average for me. Live version of Caroline is good but don't need to hear that song again, overplayed.

17. Almost Simon

As I only own the volume 1&2 double vinyl I have a question..................

My inner gatefold features a load of pictures of the band but no Coghlan. Only the line-up with Kircher and Bown. That seems a bit sad. No harm putting a few older photo's in, maybe these photo's are only the signify the vol.2 line-up but Coghlan was part of that too. A shame.

Man at C&A likes this.
  18. Almost Simon

Time for Just Supposin'???

JulesRules likes this.
  19. JulesRules

I suppose, yes... ;)

Almost Simon likes this.
  20. JulesRules

1980: Just Supposin’
    [​IMG]

1980: 2) Just Supposin’

1. What You’re Proposing (Rossi/Frost) 4:15 L
    2. Run To Mummy (Rossi/Bown) 3:08
    3. Don't Drive My Car (Parfitt/Bown) 4:30 L
    4. Lies (Rossi/Frost) 3:56
    5. Over The Edge (Lancaster/Keith Lamb) 4:29 L
    6. The Wild Ones (Lancaster) 3:53
    7. Name Of The Game (Rossi/Lancaster/Bown) 4:26
    8. Coming And Going (Parfitt/Young) 6:20
    9. Rock 'N' Roll (Rossi/Frost) 5:23 L

[​IMG]

2017 Deluxe Edition Disc 2:
    1. AB Blues [B-Side] 4:33 [2005 reissue]
    2. Coming and Going [Writing Session Demo] 3:51
    Live at Le Mans Salle de La Rotonde on the 25th March 1981
    [Caroline/Roll Over Lay Down/Backwater/Little Lady]
    1. Don't Drive My Car 4:31
    [Whatever You Want/Hold You Back/Something ‘Bout You Baby I Like/Rockin’ All Over the World]
    2. Over the Edge 5:22
    [What You’re Proposing/Rock ‘n’ Roll]
    3. Something ‘Bout You Baby I Like [played earlier] 3:07
    4. What You’re Proposing [played earlier] 4:29
    [Dirty Water/Forty-Five Hundred Times/Big Fat Mama/Don't Waste My Time/Roadhouse Blues/Rain/Down Down/Drum Solo]

Andy Bown – Keyboards and Backing Vocals
    Bob Young – Harmonica on “Coming and Going”
    Bernie Frost – Backing Vocals

One out, one to go: Quo had finally “sacked” Pip Williams (but not for eternity!), but kept his engineer John Eden and made him co-producer. Since Eden had been there for three LPs, it can’t be down to him that the sound changed to radically; rather, it probably has a lot to do with the shifting zeitgeist and new technical possibilities shaping rock music into a different direction. The 80s had only just begun but Quo were already fully indulged in the 80s sound. Mind you, I don't think that’s necessarily a bad thing; still it can be said that Quo lost a lot of the Quo-ness to their sound and were really playing a more generic form of hard rock on this album and its twin. Indeed, “Just Supposin’” in particular probably stands as one of the darkest and heaviest albums in their discography, but I can’t say that it particularly appeals to me. It’s the first album without any Rossi/Young songs and as Francis correctly observes in the liner notes, the blues and country elements are both somewhat absent.

What’s interesting is that after the cancelled WYW tour, somebody said to Francis “you can’t sell albums if you don’t go on tour”. And Francis, ever the contrarian, felt challenged enough to say: “Well, that’s it, we won’t do a tour for this one either; instead we’ll record the next LP right afterwards”. Also of note is the Hipgnosis-esque LP cover.

What You’re Proposing: Bladabladabadam! What an opening! Here’s one of those irresistible melodies, but “What You’re Proposing” is a bit unusual in every way. Francis came up with the staccato that runs through the song in a state of anger, but the song doesn’t sound very aggressive. The melody is utterly poppy, but the high energy level keeps it from sounding ‘soft’. Even the many repetitions seem to “work” within the context of the song. Love the guitar duet in the middle as well.

Run to Mummy: The very first Rossi/Bown song and the beginning of a looong writing collaboration, but I don't get the song. It just thumps all over the place without achieving anything!

Don't Drive My Car: Magnificent. A dark, brooding song with suspense and a tension that grows almost unbearable when they pile up those diminished chords in the middle that finally (finally!) gives way to a super-intense guitar solo. The composition is so well done with its starts/stops, the minor riffs and the brutal ending that the lyrics become irrelevant.

Lies: Bla blabla bla blabla bla... yeah, Francis' tracks from here on would sometimes go round and round and round and round... but that said, I love this track because it's so damn catchy and fun - the latter aspect unfortunately is otherwise sorely lacking from the LP.

Over the Edge: Some people consider this Alan Lancaster's masterpiece, but I have a hard time with it. It's a heavy shuffle but way too serious for my taste. Alan sounds like he was trying to imitate Geddy Lee from Rush with those extremely high vocal parts! It's not a bad song but it seems to lack purpose. A solo or other kind of instrumental breakdown wouldn't have hurt, would it? There is an extreme amount of reverb on the entire track making it sound "swampy".

The Wild Ones: Yet another shuffle, but this time more in the old Quo style (and sung by Francis, though Alan wrote it). Unfortunately, the 80s production doesn't give it the appropriate earthy flavour.

Name of the Game: Not the ABBA song of the same name, but one of the songs that make "Just Supposin'" the parent album of all Quo LPs to follow. The stiff mid-tempo rhythm is a direct precursor of tracks like "Ain't Complaining" or "Little Dreamer", but Andy's lyrics about shooting the sheriff and the slightly bluesy flavour make it one of the more interesting tracks. The Hammond Organ is also used well here.

Coming and Going: Bob was still somewhat involved with the band at this point, as he co-wrote this track with Rick and played a lot of blues harp on it. But as with "Over the Edge" I also think this is a too serious song without much proper development. Quo used to have six-minute tracks that flowed from one section into the other, this just never changes pace at all.

Rock ‘n’ Roll: Since this whole thing is so 80s, it’s maybe not such a big surprise to find a typical 80s power ballad at the end. Though I guess Quo fans wouldn’t have expected a song by their favourite band called “Rock ‘n’ Roll” to be a ballad (same thing happened a few years later with “Ol’ Rag Blues”). I kinda like the song despite its occasional cheesiness – there’s something vaguely sentimental about it, and when the backing vocals kick in it pleasantly reminds me of The Alan Parsons Project – of all bands!

A B Blues: A nice instrumental jam that shows Francis playing twelve-bar blues guitar. This is the only track credited to all five band members during this period.

Bonus disc: Not sure why “Rock ‘n’ Roll” (or, for that matter, “Whatever You Want”, “Hold You Back”, “Rockin’ All Over the World”, “Dirty Water” or “Down Down” – all of which haven’t been released as live versions by the original line-up before) was not included in a live version. (I actually think these live tracks sound slightly better than the NTL bonus tracks.) The single edit of “Rock ‘n’ Roll” made sense as an inclusion on “Never Too Late” in 2005, but now that NTL has 3 discs and JS has a pretty short 2nd disc, it would have better fit here as well. The only other noteworthy track is the writing demo of “Coming and Going”: Rick on vocals & guitar, Bob on harmonica and a drum machine.

Ma Kelly, John Fell and Almost Simon like this.
  21. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

What You're Proposing is the best track for me. Other favorites include Drive My Car, Over The Edge and Lies. Wild Ones and Name Of Game are also pretty good. However, the eighties production is starting to become a bit annoying at this point. The songs are becoming more polished to the detriment of the band in my opinion. I prefer the rawness of the early Frantic Four albums better.

Ma Kelly, JulesRules and Man at C&A like this.
  22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The 80s productions got worse. A lot worse...

23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Just Supposin' is a solid enough album. Outside of the singles I don't find it particularly memorable. What Your Proposing is the first Quo single I remember and it remains fantastic. The pop side of Quo done very well. I also like Lies a lot for similar reasons. These songs are very catchy and fun. I've always liked Rock 'n' Roll too. A nice song. For some reason I'm not a big fan of Don't Drive My Car. It's good but I don't love it.

Just Supposin' comes across to me as a not as good version of Whatever You Want.

Ma Kelly, JulesRules and John Fell like this.
  24. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

Just Supposin' - it's OK but a bit lightweight. I like the fact that it had a more spontaneous sound (not sure I get the 80s-sounding criticisms others are hearing apart from on Over the Edge) but the songs are generaly more poppy and less rocking than their mid 70s stuff so it's not a massive gain tbh. For some reason this album sounds really disjointed - I'm normally big fan of albums where the songs have different sounds, and there are a few different approaches going on here, but it just doesn't hang that well together for me.

What You're Proposing - it's seriously poppy and a world away from stuff like Rain or Down Down or Paper Plane. But I'm sure I've said this before, Rossi can't half write a catchy tune so I've no complaints.

Run to Mummy - eh. I'm sure someone over on the old Quo forum described this one as a bit Chas and Dave and it really is. Poppy but faintly embarrassing.

Don't Drive My Car - the main bulk of the song is merely ok - was it influenced by Another Brick in the Wall? And Parfitt's lyrics are dodgy - he really is singing about telling his woman not to drive his car? Nothing deeper going on? Hmmm...but the ending is totally killer. Thunderous drums and epic riffage and soloing. That's more like it.

Lies - soooooooooooo lightweight and it really needs a middle eight. But it's so so catchy. Feels like a guilty pleasure to me, but I love it.

Over the Edge - ****ing hell Al, this sounds like late 80s cock rock/hair metal. YOU'RE DRIVING ME CRAZY!!! Seriously embarrassing. Hate this song.

The Wild Ones - Always wanted to hear this for years after it wasn't on the old WYW/JS two-for-one and when I did I discover it to be Quo by numbers.

Name of the Game - more embarrassing lyrics but I've always like the tune and Spud's drumming is kinda interesting.

Coming and Going - Parfitt saves the day again by delivering something a bit darker and more rocking. Coming from someone who'd recently given us Living on an Island and For You and pap like Rockers Rollin', this was a welcome development.

Rock N Roll - Blimey, whistling (played on a synth, naturally) and dodgy rock n roll riffs (of course, played on a synth again) on a dodgy power ballad. Is this song good or rubbish? I can't tell. There's so much to hate here but I like the melody. Eh, it would've been good had it been recorded say 5 years earlier.

They should've just worked on producing one really good album using the best tracks from Just Supposin' and Never Too Late rather than releasing two albums that have plenty of good moments but also their fair share of forgettable fluff.

JulesRules likes this.
  25. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

They do? They'd be insane!

Man at C&A likes this.