Status Quo album-by-album thread (50 Years of Quo)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JulesRules, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Johns44

Johns44 Forum Resident

Looking forward to Thirsty Work. I know it's a controversial entry in the Quo library but me being contrary likes it a lot.

Almost Simon likes this.
  2. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

The last one I bought as new was 'Rock 'Til You Drop' on CD. Not really heard 'Thirsty Work'. I just looked on Ebay for the LP and there's only one for 45 quid. Don't want to listen to it that much! Maybe I'll pop down the local public library.

3. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

It's in my top three. Chock full of great songs!

4. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Wonder when JulesRules will post. Hopefully soon.

JulesRules likes this.
  5. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

It took me many years to find a copy of "Dog of Two Head".
    There was only a couple of used record stores in Southampton when I was growing up and I could never find a copy.
    I wanted that album so badly. It was a grail for me. I looked everywhere, bootsales, junk shops, charity shops etc.
    Even though I had all the tracks on numerous compilations, I needed that album in my collection.

I ended up finding an excellent 1st pressing for 50p in an Oxfam in Salisbury.
    I acted quite calm inside the shop, but once I got outside, I did a little celebration dance.
    I was probably about 12 at the time, so that kind of behaviour was more acceptable. I couldn't get away with that now! :laugh:

Man at C&A likes this.
  6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I had a hard time keeping calm when buying an original mono Pye Picturesque Matchstickable Messages in a charity shop for £5 about four years ago. I am friends with a guy who volunteered in there pricing the music, who knew I loved Quo and 60s music and I didn't have it, also that I was unemployed then. He hates over the top pricing. The manager was in at the time so he showed me it and said "I'll do it for a fiver" then mouthed "worth a fortune!" out of the managers sight! I had to stay calm but I was ecstatic. He didn't keep records back for me, but called me when a new lot were going out. I got some fantastic records from there. It now feels like it was a last hurrah before the 'vinyl revival' and the charity shops started getting wise and set up eBay accounts.

The Quo LP is a beauty, excellent condition and one of my most treasured records. I got Dog of Two Heads from a market and Ma Kelly's from a car boot sale, both original blue Pye pressings. I have an 80s PRT reissue of Spare Parts. It sounds great.

carlwm and vudicus like this.
  7. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Nice! I've never owned either of the 1st 2 Quo albums on vinyl.
    I see them very rarely and when I do, they're always trashed and expensive.
    Even the later PRT versions are scarce around here.

Man at C&A likes this.
  8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It was extremely lucky. The only original I've ever seen except a friends who paid a lot on eBay. I bought the PRT Spare Parts a long time ago. I haven't seen another one of those in ages either.

The collection that had Picturesque in was unbelievably good.

vudicus likes this.
  9. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug Thread Starter

1994: Thirsty Work
    [​IMG]

1994: Thirsty Work

1. Goin' Nowhere (Rossi/Frost/Tony McAnaney) 3:50 L
    2. I Didn't Mean It (John David) 3:22
    3. Confidence (Bown) 3:14
    4. Point Of No Return (Bown/Edwards) 3:50
    5. Sail Away (Rossi/Frost) 3:34
    6. Like It Or Not (Rossi/Frost) 4:01
    7. Soft In The Head (Rossi/Frost) 3:20 L
    8. Queenie (Rossi/Frost) 3:32 L
    9. Lover Of The Human Race (Rossi/Bown) 3:32
    10. Sherri Don't Fail Me Now! (Bown/Edwards) 3:20
    11. Rude Awakening Time (Rossi/Frost) 4:12 L
    12. Back On My Feet (Rossi/Frost)3:06
    13. Restless (Jennifer Warnes) 4:10 L
    14. Ciao-Ciao (Rossi/Bown) 3:31
    15. Tango (Rossi/Frost) 4:06
    16. Sorry (Rossi/Frost) 3:28

2006 reissue bonus tracks:

17. Survival (Rossi/Bown) 3:26 [B-side of “I Didn't Mean It”]
    18. She Knew Too Much (Rossi/Bown) 3:47 [B-Side of “I Didn't Mean It”]
    19. Tossin’ & Turnin’ (Rossi/Frost) 4:09 [B-Side of “Sherri Don't Fail Me Now!”]
    20. Down To You (Rossi/Bown) 3:15 [B-Side of “Sherri Don't Fail Me Now!”]
    21. Beautiful (Rossi/Bown) 3:43 [B-Side of “Sherri Don't Fail Me Now”]

Missing bonus tracks:

1. I Didn't Mean It [Acoustic Version] 4:01 [“I Didn't Mean It” CD single]
    2. I Didn't Mean It [Hooligan Version] 3:55 [“I Didn't Mean It” CD single]
    3. And I Do (Rossi/Frost/McAnaney) 3:51 [B-Side of “Restless”]
    4. Restless [Orchestral Version] 4:10 [“Restless” CD single]
    5. Democracy (Leonard Cohen) 4:21 [ “Restless” CD single]
    6. Sherri Don't Fail Me Now [Extended] 3:45 [“Sherri Don't Fail Me Now” CD single]

The longest break between two Quo studio albums since the EOTR break. Again, Francis produced the album – not a bad idea considering the success of RTYD. But the album turned out as a mixed bag; Francis himself seemed to like it a lot (also the sound quality) but the record buying public were less impressed. The three singles at least all made the Top 40, but the band and label had expected more. Part of this was blamed on the radio stations simply ignoring older bands’ new singles, which ended up in a lawsuit (Quo lost, but at least they had got the attention of the public again). But you may also notice the complete lack of Rick in the writing credits; Rick later said he wasn’t happy about the album at all, but since he had no writing partner there weren’t many ideas coming from him either. Basically, “Thirsty Work” is a Rossi/Frost/Bown album.

Man at C&A likes this.
  10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I only know I Didn't Mean It from Thirsty Work. It's OK, a bit naff but enjoyable.

JulesRules likes this.
  11. JulesRules

For a long time I was the same, but since I have the "Accept No Substitute" DVD I also know the other two singles. I'd say neither is particularly great. Restless is notable for a) being played live despite being such a downbeat and untypical ballad and b) featuring Rick playing keyboards both in the video and live (so I assume he also did it on the studio version).

12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Among the Quo fans on their message board Restless is one of the most hated Quo tracks ever!

JulesRules likes this.
  13. JulesRules

Yeah, I know. I'm on two message boards myself (you as well?) but I can't say I hate it. It's.... interesting. They tried to do something different, and it didn't succeed, but I applaud the effort.

14. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'm not a member of them but regularly read both. I was a member when it was on the official site but I didn't post much. I didn't have broadband at home or a smart phone then.

Rossi isn't a popular man on one of those forums.

JulesRules likes this.
  15. JulesRules

You don't say! ;)

Man at C&A likes this.
  16. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Day off. Visited the local market stall selling LP's. Copy of 'Dog Of Two Head' there. Got me thinking about replacing some worse for wear LP's I bought in Oz. Thought I should check out which ones. So whilst no ''Thirsty Work' I've given a good airing to DOTH, Piledriver, Quo, IYCSTH, WYW and now I'm onto FTMO which hasn't been played in years. Got it for free back when I first got into Quo in the mid 80's. Only Piledriver & Quo sound rough, the others are okay. Not heard WYW for ages either. Better than I remember. I only usually play Quo when the girlfriends out (along w/ Dylan, Pearl Jam, Doors). But she got back in and didn't mind DOTH. Not like the usual crap she said! Been a good afternoons listening.

carlwm, JulesRules and Man at C&A like this.
  17. Almost Simon

Will be listening to Thirsty Work on youtube, has been a while since i heard it.

I clearly remember Restless being played live a lot. Soon ended up in the dumper though, anyone know when it was last played live? Assume the bad feeling from hardcore fans to it got through to the band.

The lack of Rick writing credits sticks out like a sore thumb. Does he have any leads vocals on the album?? I'll give it a play tomorrow.

JulesRules likes this.
  18. Almost Simon

The lack of Rick on this album means this album in particular must be disliked on the forum.

I've been on the Quo messageboards a few times, Rossi is the devil over there. Its a bit like whenever there's a facebook post by Quo. The fans go in for the kills slagging Rossi off. Its very harsh at times. I think he's in a no win situation really.

Man at C&A likes this.
  19. JulesRules

Setlist.fm is your friend :) Status Quo Tour Statistics | setlist.fm

According to this list it was last played on December 18, 1994

Yep.

It's not popular, but some fans say it's definitely better than Ain't Complaining or Perfect Remedy. Others (including one quite partial to Francis, who also likes his first solo album - which we might also get to in this thread) can't get into it at all. Seems to be one of the more divisive ones.

Almost Simon likes this.
  20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

He is. I have no problem with him carrying on and using the Quo name. He's a founding member and Andy Bown & Rhino have been there a long time too. They make some dubious decisions but they've been making those for over 30 years!

Rossi has every right to keep the music going.

JulesRules and Almost Simon like this.
  21. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Just listened to Restless. Horrible, but that's mainly down to barely any guitars, a plodding tempo with bland drumming and awful sounding keyboards. If it was done more like Rock and Roll or Living On An Island rather than the bland slop it is, there could be a decent Quo ballad buried in it.

I'm trying to be generous!

JulesRules, carlwm and Almost Simon like this.
  22. Almost Simon

Queenie isnt too bad. Although strange for Rossi to give up one of his songs, but seeing that he has so many on this album it wont hurt him too much.

That means i only saw Restless played live once, possibly the December 94 tour. Pretty sure i saw it a few times, must be wrong. Now to give it a play and remind myself............:help:

JulesRules likes this.
  23. Almost Simon

Not really a Quo performance. Isnt it pretty much Rossi solo with keyboards?

Yes, i remember this being played live. It kind of killed the mood of the show. Far from the quality of Rock and Roll/Living on an Island as mentioned.

One to forget.

Edit - under the song on youtube someone has posted a 2 word review. I am inclined to agree with it:D

Man at C&A likes this.
  24. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

Having just listened to it for the first time I can see why!

KAJ1971 and Man at C&A like this.
  25. Johns44

Johns44 Forum Resident

I'm probably going agains the grain on this, but I really like Thirsty Work. Apart from a couple of tracks I think it's excellent and rocks a lot more than people give it credit for. I used to get the old "you just like anything" or "Rossi lover" crap thrown at me on the message boards because of this. Rubbish of course but if I like something I am not going to fall in with the crowd just to feel part of the gang. Ooops almost a rant. I won't bother with the remixes unless I think they add something.

1. Goin' Nowhere (Rossi/Frost/Tony McAnaney) 3:50 L Nice start to the album and played liver for a while. Thumbs up
    2. I Didn't Mean It (John David) 3:22 Played a bit too fast I think but really enjoyable
    3. Confidence (Bown) 3:14 Love this one. Think it is excellent
    4. Point Of No Return (Bown/Edwards) 3:50 Another good little album track
    5. Sail Away (Rossi/Frost) 3:34 This one is ok
    6. Like It Or Not (Rossi/Frost) 4:01 Good track too
    7. Soft In The Head (Rossi/Frost) 3:20 L Really like this. Rocks along very nicely thank you.
    8. Queenie (Rossi/Frost) 3:32 L Worst track on the album for me
    9. Lover Of The Human Race (Rossi/Bown) 3:32 Very very different for Quo. One of the best ones on the album for me
    10. Sherri Don't Fail Me Now! (Bown/Edwards) 3:20 Love this too. Thought it would have done better as a single
    11. Rude Awakening Time (Rossi/Frost) 4:12 L Very good too.
    12. Back On My Feet (Rossi/Frost)3:06 Reminds me a bit of Cream of the Crop for some reason. Good but not great
    13. Restless (Jennifer Warnes) 4:10 L I defintiley go against the tide on this one. I think it's excellent (though not so good live - first time saw them doing it live was at the Rivermead in Reading). Pretty sure there was an advert in the papers saying "Quo's next No.1 single"
    14. Ciao-Ciao (Rossi/Bown) 3:31 Can get you a bit tongue tied this one. Really really good and again rocks along.
    15. Tango (Rossi/Frost) 4:06 Not for me this one
    16. Sorry (Rossi/Frost) 3:28 second worst on the album

2006 reissue bonus tracks:

17. Survival (Rossi/Bown) 3:26 [B-side of “I Didn't Mean It”] Really good. Should have been on the album
    18. She Knew Too Much (Rossi/Bown) 3:47 [B-Side of “I Didn't Mean It”] Really good. Should have been on the album
    19. Tossin’ & Turnin’ (Rossi/Frost) 4:09 [B-Side of “Sherri Don't Fail Me Now!”] Good. Should have been on the album
    20. Down To You (Rossi/Bown) 3:15 [B-Side of “Sherri Don't Fail Me Now!”] Really good. Should have been on the album
    21. Beautiful (Rossi/Bown) 3:43 [B-Side of “Sherri Don't Fail Me Now”] Not bad

Missing bonus tracks:

1. I Didn't Mean It [Acoustic Version] 4:01 [“I Didn't Mean It” CD single]
    2. I Didn't Mean It [Hooligan Version] 3:55 [“I Didn't Mean It” CD single]
    3. And I Do (Rossi/Frost/McAnaney) 3:51 [B-Side of “Restless”]
    4. Restless [Orchestral Version] 4:10 [“Restless” CD single]
    5. Democracy (Leonard Cohen) 4:21 [ “Restless” CD single] I think they did a great job on this and should have stuck it on the album.
    6. Sherri Don't Fail Me Now [Extended] 3:45 [“Sherri Don't Fail Me Now” CD single]

I still play this regularly and I think it's a pretty solid album. Possibly suffered from the whole Radio 1 debacle, but also maybe the singles weren't right.