Status Quo album-by-album thread (50 Years of Quo)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JulesRules, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

1. Goin' Nowhere (Rossi/Frost/Tony McAnaney) 3:50 L - Like this one a lot
    2. I Didn't Mean It (John David) 3:22 - Decent song but a bit too fast
    3. Confidence (Bown) 3:14 - Not bad, could do with some Rick vocals to break up the constant Rossi. This song reminds me of another song, sounds like something American/80's/AOR like.
    4. Point Of No Return (Bown/Edwards) 3:50 - Okay, nothing special.
    5. Sail Away (Rossi/Frost) 3:34 - No, don't like, this is sounding too much like a Rossi solo album.
    6. Like It Or Not (Rossi/Frost) 4:01 - Okay chorus.
    7. Soft In The Head (Rossi/Frost) 3:20 L - This one sounds like Quo, like this, one of the better tracks.
    8. Queenie (Rossi/Frost) 3:32 L - Not too bad but track 8 before a Rick vocal?
    9. Lover Of The Human Race (Rossi/Bown) 3:32 - Reminds me of ABBA at the start. Different.
    10. Sherri Don't Fail Me Now! (Bown/Edwards) 3:20 - Don't like.
    11. Rude Awakening Time (Rossi/Frost) 4:12 L - Not bad
    12. Back On My Feet (Rossi/Frost)3:06 - Pretty good.
    13. Restless (Jennifer Warnes) 4:10 L - I didn't mind this when i first heard it but now years later on a Rossi heavy album this sounds like a solo track. Cheesey 80's sounding synth. They were brave to play this live.
    14. Ciao-Ciao (Rossi/Bown) 3:31 - Not bad
    15. Tango (Rossi/Frost) 4:06 - Not for me.
    16. Sorry (Rossi/Frost) 3:28 - Also not for me.

Verdict - too long, cut it down to a 10 track album, vinyl length and it wouldn't be too bad. The lack of Rick
    is a huge concern, no way to disguise it, it seems and sounds like a Rossi solo album. Perhaps with more input
    from Rick the likes of Restless would have been relegated to Rossi's solo album. I can't even hear Rick on
    backng vocals.

carlwm and JulesRules like this.
  2. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug Thread Starter

Francis Rossi: King of the Doghouse (1996)

[​IMG]

While this is a Quo ABA thread and I had ignored Andy’s solo albums (maybe we can cover those at the end, along with Rhino’s and Alan’s if there’s any interest), I will mention that Francis finally released his 1st proper solo album. And it is decidedly weird because most of the new songs weren’t even written by him (but by Tony McAnaney, who had already co-written some stuff on "Thirsty Work") *and* many tracks were wrong mixes than intended!

1. King of the Doghouse - 3:36
    2. I Don't Know - 4:21
    3. Darlin' - 3:48
    4. Give Myself to Love - 3:03
    5. Isaac Ryan (Francis Rossi/Bernie Frost) - 4:19
    6. Happy Town - 3:43
    7. Wherever You Go - 3:09
    8. Blue Water - 5:07
    9. The Fighter (Rossi/Frost) - 5:29 [new version]
    10. Someone Show Me (Rossi/Frost) - 3:37 [new version]

All songs written by Tony McAnaney unless indicated.

3. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Well, I'm listening to 'Thirsty Work' and I'm up to 'Lover Of The Human Race'. Not a lover of this LP. After spending yesterday afternoon listening to various Quo LP's from DOTH up to FTMO this is pretty poor. Even compared to the previous three. I had a look at what LP's from the same year as this I bought. Pearl Jam, Black Crowes, Body Count, Manic Street Preachers. Not sure I'm going to get to the end. Too much synth. Not heard any solo Rossi LP's. Opened the FTMO box and found a folder Quo scarf from the 1982 Tour I forgot about. I never went, came with the box set. 'Rude Awakening' is a bit better.

JulesRules and Man at C&A like this.
  4. Johns44

Johns44 Forum Resident

I know Rossi wasn' t happy with this and thought McAnaney treated it like his own album and so many things didn't come out as intended. However if you forget the Quo connection there are some delights on this album.

1. King of the Doghouse - 3:36 Nice sing-a-long chorus. Decent start
    2. I Don't Know - 4:21 Fairly decent tune
    3. Darlin' - 3:48 This is ok
    4. Give Myself to Love - 3:03 Really like this one. Deserved to do better in the charts though there was a thing going about that it was No.1 in Poland
    5. Isaac Ryan (Francis Rossi/Bernie Frost) - 4:19 Best song on the album. Love this to bits
    6. Happy Town - 3:43 Upbeat and sing-a-long again. Not bad
    7. Wherever You Go - 3:09 Not a big fan
    8. Blue Water - 5:07 Love this one. very atmospheric
    9. The Fighter (Rossi/Frost) - 5:29 [new version] This is pretty decent.
    10. Someone Show Me (Rossi/Frost) - 3:37 [new version Bit of a pointless remake really.
    I play this more than his most recent solo.

JulesRules likes this.
  5. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

1. King of the Doghouse - 3:36-
      It's a very light production, and doesn't really take off. A nice enough song, but everything is neatly in its place, especially the backing vocals. Made for radio. You can tell that this is the way Rossi would probably like Quo to go.

2. I Don't Know - 4:21
      I quite like this one. A decent enough little song. Sounds a bit muffled to me. A crisper production would benefit this song greatly. The only song on this album worthy of submission to Status Quo.

3. Darlin' - 3:48
      It's basically 'Marguerita time' again, with a more steady uptempo beat. It's again a very unchallenging little song that doesn't hold the attention for long. It sounds like a studio piece. Keyboard horns all over it. Yuk.

4. Give Myself to Love - 3:03
      Keyboard horns again. Yuk. Another song that wouldn't benefit in any way from being done by Quo. Maybe it's a good thing that these songs were not recorded by Quo. Fans would have revolted.

5. Isaac Ryan (Francis Rossi/Bernie Frost) - 4:19
      A feeble play on I's a cryin'. A lovely little tune, quite gutless. Part of the vocal is beyond his reach.

6. Happy Town - 3:43
      Awful. What was he thinking of? Not worthy of discussion or listening. Sub-Europop.

7. Wherever You Go - 3:09
      Reminds me of 2000 miles by The Pretenders in part. Goes nowhere.

8. Blue Water - 5:07
      By now, the songs are all blurring into one. A more modern drum track doesn't rescue this mediocre song. Why has he bothered with some of this utter guff?

9. The Fighter (Rossi/Frost) - 5:29 [new version]
      This track has a more firm beat and bass than anything else on the album. But the rest of the parts are so weedy. Forgettable.

10. Someone Show Me (Rossi/Frost) - 3:37 [new version]
      He's returned to an old Quo song and maybe my familiarity with that makes me forgive him for the lite production on this. On the verses, an incongruous electric guitar chugs at points, like it's punctuating the thing and waiting to kick off and do something (which it does - briefly - after the second verse). It's a re-imagining of the Quo song and I am fairly sure that he has put this at the end of the album to convince any Quo fans who have bought it that he has not entirely lost his mind.
    The whole album is a quite confusing affair. He has taken a collection of someone else's (not too great) songs and has done a rather limp and unconvincing version of each one of them. It sounds like his heart isn't in it for the most part and there is no confidence apparent in his vocals.

His second solo album is an entirely different affair... later.

6. JulesRules

Here are Francis' comments about the wrong versions (from &nbsp - Interviews 1-3 ):

When you look back on the finished album now, are you happy with how it turned out?

No. As I said, there are things that have gone wrong. The opening track, "King Of The Doghouse", is the wrong mix. It's an entirely different mix. The one I did on television tonight is closer to the one it's supposed to be. The second track on there, "I Don't Know", is the wrong mix. There's another one with a louder vocal and a clearer sound. "Someone Show Me Home" is the wrong mix. There's another, longer version with strings. There are a few things like that. I quite like the way it has come out, but the producer went away on holiday when it was time to cut the album, so people just put various tracks on that were the wrong thing.

Tony McAnaney should have been there to finish it off right into the end, but he wasn't. Materialwise I like "King Of The Doghouse", I like "Darlin'" but it's the wrong mix, I like "I Don't Know" and that's the wrong mix too... I like "Give Myself To Love", that's the right mix. I didn't like that at first, but it grew on me. I like "The Fighter" because I wrote it, and I really like "Someone Show Me Home", but again it's the wrong mix. I like "Happy Town" because it's about Amsterdam. I think I like most of the songs beacause, after all, I chose them. But as I've said, things went wrong.

Things were done very unprofessionally in the outcome, and I've subsequently found out that while I was off doing shows or whatever else, these people were doing ecstasy at the weekends. You know, when comes monday and tuesday, the world was a f...ing drag! That kind of drug will do that to you. It's great when you're doing it, but then you have to get over it. So I think some of this was being done while we were recording. It would explain certain situations that happened to me. One day things would be fine, the next day everything was terrible. Overall I'm pleased with the album, but for those reasons...

7. JulesRules

1996: Don’t Stop (30th Anniversary Album)
    [​IMG]

1996: Don’t Stop

1. Fun, Fun, Fun (w/the Beach Boys) (Brian Wilson/Mike Love) 4:03 L
    2. When You Walk in the Room (Jackie DeShannon) 4:05
    3. I Can Hear The Grass Grow (Roy Wood) 3:27
    4. You Never Can Tell (It Was A Teenage Wedding) (Chuck Berry) 3:50
    5. Get Back (Paul McCartney/John Lennon) 3:23 L
    6. Safety Dance (Ivan Doroschuk) 3:56
    7. Raining In My Heart (w/Brian May) (Felice and Boudleaux Bryant) 3:32
    8. Don’t Stop (Christine McVie) 3:40
    9. Sorrow (Bob Feldman/Jerry Goldstein/Richard Gottehrer) 4:14
    10. Proud Mary (John Fogerty) 3:30 L
    11. Lucille (“Little” Richard Wayne Penniman/Al Collins) 2:58 *played live in the 60s, also part of anniversary waltz
    12. Johnny and Mary (Robert Palmer) 3:35
    13. Get Out Of Denver (Bob Seger) 4:09 L
    14. The Future's So Bright (I Gotta Wear Shades) (Pat MacDonald) 3:36
    15. All Around My Hat (w/Maddy Prior) (Traditional arr. Status Quo) 3:56 L

2006 reissue bonus tracks:

16. Tilting at the Mill (Rossi/Parfitt/Bown/Edwards/Rich) 3:26 [B-Side of “When You Walk in the Room”]
    17. Mortified (Rossi/Parfitt/Bown/Edwards/Rich) 3:19 [B-Side of “Fun Fun Fun”]
    18. Temporary Friend (Rossi/Parfitt/Bown/Edwards/Rich) 4:12 [B-Side of “Don't Stop”]
    19. I’ll Never Get Over You (Gordon Mills) 2:45 [B-Side of “All Around My Hat”]

Francis Rossi – Vocals, Lead Guitar
    Rick Parfitt – Vocals, Guitar
    Andy Bown – Keyboards
    John ‘Rhino’ Edwards – Bass, Backing Vocals
    Jeff Rich – Drums, Percussion

Stu Brooks, John Thirkell, Pete Thorns – Horns & Gary Barnacle – Saxophone on “Fun, Fun, Fun”, “Get Back”, “Sorrow”, “Proud Mary” and “Get Out of Denver”
    George Chandler, Derek Green, Tony Jackson – backing vocals on “Get Back”
    Tessa Niles – Vocals on “The Safety Dance” and “The Future’s So Bright”
    Geraint Watkins – Accordion on “The Safety Dance”
    Troy Donockley – Uillean Pipes & Whistles on “All Around My Hat”

he idea doesn’t sound so bad on paper, right? Particularly when you consider that Quo had recorded quite a few cover versions up to that point and turned some of them into bona-fide Quo classics (Junior’s Wailing, Roadhouse Blues, Bye Bye Johnny Wild Side of Life, Rockin’ All Over the World, Something ‘Bout You Baby I Like, The Wanderer, In the Army Now). Plus the last big Quo hit had been a good medley of rock classics (and the Roadhouse Medley single had also done pretty well). So doing a bunch of songs they liked (with some guests) seemed like an appropriate way of celebrating 30 years (this time counted from the first Spectres single onward…)

Still, the end result left a lot of fans disappointed. Quo wanted to choose songs they liked but you also have to have a feeling for what you’re covering. While nobody would dispute their affinity to The Beatles and Chuck Berry, something like “The Safety Dance” or “Johnny & Mary” might not be the ideal choice for a band like Status Quo. The title track is more suited to Quo’s style but their version doesn’t even come close to sounding as convincing as the Fleetwood Mac original. “When You Walk in the Room” is just a boring song IMO and the video is truly awful, a really weird attempt at trying to celebrate different eras of Quo. And what about the production? Horns, backing vocalists, lame synths and an accordion (and yes, it’s Geraint Watkins, whose biggest contribution to a Quo album was yet to come). It’s like “If You Can’t Stand the Heat” all over again. But at least some tracks did record Quo in full throttle mode such as “Get Back” or “Get out of Denver”, unsurprisingly two of the songs played live on the tour – along with “All Around My Hat”, which isn’t without its detractors but IMO is a good fit for Quo despite its folky flavour. After all Quo had dabbled with jigs ever since the early 70s and struck a hit with “Burning Bridges”.

The cover is really poor. It looks like a cheap compilation, the keyboard isn’t plugged in, there are song titles written on the front (horrible!) and the band logo is only visible on the bass drums!

Interestingly enough, 3 of the 4 single b-sides were not covers but written by the band – literally, since all five members are credited, making these the only songs to be written by that line-up aside from “Nothing Comes Easy”. “Tilting at the Mill” features a ridiculously great solo by Francis and some nice bass stuff by Rhino near the end.

These b-sides, alongside an “Extended Fade” version of “Fun, Fun, Fun” were included on the Japanese CD release. The former appeared on the remaster, the latter didn't…

Don't Stop – 30th Anniversary Live Video (1996)

1. Fun, Fun, Fun (w/the Beach Boys)
    2. When You Walk in the Room
    3. I Can Hear The Grass Grow
    4. You Never Can Tell (It Was A Teenage Wedding)
    5. Get Back
    6. Safety Dance (Special Guest Tessa Niles)
    7. Raining In My Heart (Special Guest Brian May)
    8. Don’t Stop
    9. Sorrow
    10. Proud Mary
    11. Lucille
    12. Johnny and Mary
    13. Get Out Of Denver
    14. The Future's So Bright (I Gotta Wear Shades) (Special Guest Tessa Niles)
    15. All Around My Hat (Special Guest Maddy Prior)

Live (?) from Brixton Academy, 28th Jan 1996

8. Almost Simon

Can't say i've ever wanted to listen to this album. It has a very bad reputation, but i will give it a listen tomorrow.

JulesRules likes this.
  9. Johns44

Johns44 Forum Resident

It not so bad Simon. Bit over produced but there are some good things on there. For what it is and kind of forgetting it's Quo, it's a decent covers album.

10. Johns44

Johns44 Forum Resident

The first of 3 covers albums and I think the best one (although Famous in the Last Century gives it a good run), even it is a bit over-produced.

A lot of Quo fans hate the covers albums but it was pretty much needs must for the band at that time. I think how their manager was directing them at the time pushed them into this corner of doing gimmiky stuff to survive instead of working out how to get them moving as a "rock" band again. That being said, I think in the UK this is one of Quo's most successful albums and was No'2 for a while (behind Graceland I think). Saw then at for the video shoot at Brixton and it was a great night.

1. Fun, Fun, Fun (w/the Beach Boys) (Brian Wilson/Mike Love) 4:03 always liked it. Quo had linked up with the Beach Boys a few times over the years so this made sense. Really enjoyable (was going to say Fun!). Cracking single. If Quo had been Radio 2 darlings at the time this could have been bigger
    2. When You Walk in the Room (Jackie DeShannon) 4:05. Really enjoy this one.
    3. I Can Hear The Grass Grow (Roy Wood) 3:27 Excellent version
    4. You Never Can Tell (It Was A Teenage Wedding) (Chuck Berry) 3:50 it's ok but only just
    5. Get Back (Paul McCartney/John Lennon) 3:23 Really like this one too
    6. Safety Dance (Ivan Doroschuk) 3:56 Think this was Andy Bown's choice. Definitely contraversial among Quo fans. Personally I really like it.
    7. Raining In My Heart (w/Brian May) (Felice and Boudleaux Bryant) 3:32 Terrible
    8. Don’t Stop (Christine McVie) 3:40 Excellent. Think this was originally going to be on Rock Til You Drop
    9. Sorrow (Bob Feldman/Jerry Goldstein/Richard Gottehrer) 4:14 Love this too
    10. Proud Mary (John Fogerty) 3:30 L Pretty decent
    11. Lucille (“Little” Richard Wayne Penniman/Al Collins) 2:58 *played live in the 60s, also part of anniversary waltz Not good
    12. Johnny and Mary (Robert Palmer) 3:35 Kind of rolls along not doing much but it is ok
    13. Get Out Of Denver (Bob Seger) 4:09 L Best song on the album
    14. The Future's So Bright (I Gotta Wear Shades) (Pat MacDonald) 3:36 For some strange reason I like this one too
    15. All Around My Hat (w/Maddy Prior) (Traditional arr. Status Quo) 3:56 It's so damned catchy and I really don't care if it "shouldn't be done by Quo"

2006 reissue bonus tracks:

16. Tilting at the Mill (Rossi/Parfitt/Bown/Edwards/Rich) 3:26 [B-Side of “When You Walk in the Room”] it's ok
    17. Mortified (Rossi/Parfitt/Bown/Edwards/Rich) 3:19 [B-Side of “Fun Fun Fun”] Really like this
    18. Temporary Friend (Rossi/Parfitt/Bown/Edwards/Rich) 4:12 [B-Side of “Don't Stop”] it's ok
    19. I’ll Never Get Over You (Gordon Mills) 2:45 [B-Side of “All Around My Hat”] a no no

I am happy to play Don't Stop and find much to enjoy on it. Maybe because I don't get hung up on the whole "how Quo should be" thing.

JulesRules and Almost Simon like this.
  11. KAJ1971

"I like the Quo and I don't care who knows it." - Tommy Vance.

Almost Simon and Man at C&A like this.
  12. Almost Simon

1. Fun, Fun, Fun (w/the Beach Boys) (Brian Wilson/Mike Love) 4:03 Hmmmm? Production is terrible and why the sax? A bit cheesy!
    2. When You Walk in the Room (Jackie DeShannon) 4:05. A lot better, pretty good.
    3. I Can Hear The Grass Grow (Roy Wood) 3:27 Not too bad
    4. You Never Can Tell (It Was A Teenage Wedding) (Chuck Berry) 3:50 Naff
    5. Get Back (Paul McCartney/John Lennon) 3:23 At last some Rick, pretty good.
    6. Safety Dance (Ivan Doroschuk) 3:56 I like it a lot. So far this album is better than expected.
    7. Raining In My Heart (w/Brian May) (Felice and Boudleaux Bryant) 3:32 And here's the payoff for that last statement. Crap - seriously this is awful, AWFUL!!!!!!!:sigh:
    8. Don’t Stop (Christine McVie) 3:40 A bit lightweight, Rick might've been a better singer for this. Production lets it down.
    9. Sorrow (Bob Feldman/Jerry Goldstein/Richard Gottehrer) 4:14 Not too bad
    10. Proud Mary (John Fogerty) 3:30 L Surely the most covered song of all time. This is not a good version, production poor.
    11. Lucille (“Little” Richard Wayne Penniman/Al Collins) 2:58 Lightweight, very poor.
    12. Johnny and Mary (Robert Palmer) 3:35 Again, lightweight, very poor.
    13. Get Out Of Denver (Bob Seger) 4:09 L Pretty good, less shiny production would've helped make this a lot better.
    14. The Future's So Bright (I Gotta Wear Shades) (Pat MacDonald) 3:36 No, not for me.
    15. All Around My Hat (w/Maddy Prior) (Traditional arr. Status Quo) 3:56 Also not for me.

Verdict
    - better than expected but expectations were low. Another album that needed less songs, 45 mins vinyl length max, less shiny production, more Rick and lose the awful track 7. Tracks 2, 5, 6 are my favourites. A better producer could've made a decent record here.

JulesRules and Man at C&A like this.
  13. Almost Simon

Under the Influence next?

JulesRules and KAJ1971 like this.
  14. JulesRules

Soon...

in the meanwhile:

Live at Wembley Arena 1996
    1. ► Paper Plane/Softer Ride/The Wanderer
    [Proud Mary/Fun Fun Fun]
    2. ► Backwater
    [Mystery Medley]
    3. ► Gerdundula
    [Get Back/Get Out of Denver/Whatever You Want/In the Army Now]
    4. ► Something ‘Bout You Baby I Like/Don't Waste My Time
    [Rockin’ All Over the World/Roadhouse Blues/Caroline]
    5. ► All Around My Hat (with Maddy Prior)
    [Anniversary Waltz/Rock ‘n’ Roll Music/Sweet Soul Music-Dizzy Miss Lizzy-Bye Bye Johnny]

Brighton Centre, 12/12/1996 (Live at the BBC set)
    1. Paper Plane
    2. The Wanderer*
    3. Proud Mary*
    [Fun Fun Fun]
    4. Wild Side Of Life /Rollin' Home/Again And Again/Slow Train*
    5. Get Back*
    6. Whatever You Want
    7. In The Army Now
    8. Something 'Bout You Baby I Like*
    9. Don't Waste My Time*
    10. Rockin’ All Over The World*
    11. Roadhouse Blues
    12. Caroline*
    13. All Around My Hat (with Maddy Prior)*

15. JulesRules

1999: Under the Influence
    [​IMG]

1. Twenty Wild Horses (Rossi/Frost) 5:00 L
    2. Under The Influence (Rossi/Frost) 4:03 L
    3. Round And Round (Bown/Edwards) 3:25
    4. Shine On (Parfitt/Edwards) 4:49 L
    5. Little White Lies (Parfitt) 4:20
    6. Keep ‘em Coming (Bown) 3:26 L
    7. Little Me And You (Bown) 3:49
    8. Making Waves (Rossi/Frost) 3:56
    9. Blessed Are The Meek (Rossi/Frost) 4:19
    10. Roll The Dice (Rossi/Frost) 4:05
    11. Not Fade Away (Norman Petty/Hardin a.k.a. Buddy Holly) 3:09
    12. The Way It Goes (Rossi/Frost) 4:02 L

2017 Bonus Tracks (also on 2011 remaster except 16):

13. Sea Cruise (Huey “Piano” Smith) 3:14 [bonus on the Australian version & B-side The Way It Goes, also “Benzin im Blut” soundtrack]
    14. I Knew the Bride (Nick Lowe) 3:37 [B-Side Little White Lies, also “Benzin im Blut”]
    15. Twenty Wild Horses [Live at the Nokia Night of the Proms, Antwerp 1999]
    16. Pictures of Matchstick Men 1999 3:24 [also bonus on OZ version & B-Side Little White Lies]

Missing bonus tracks:

1. Under the Influence Album Trailer 3:49
    a. Twenty Wild Horses 0:33
    b. Under the Influence 0:41
    c. Round and Round 0:45
    d. Little White Lies 0:27
    e. Little Me and You 0:22
    f. Keep ‘em Coming 0:56​
    2. Twenty Wild Horses [Single Version] 3:53
    3. The Way It Goes [Single Version] 3:23
    4. Little White Lies [Edited Version] 3:53
    5. Don't Waste My Time 1997 4:07 [B-Side “In the Army Now” reissue CD single]
    6. Whatever You Want 1998 4:24 [B-Side “In the Army Now” reissue CD single]
    7. Driving to Glory (Parfitt/Edwards) 3:48 [B-Side Little White Lies, also “Benzin im Blut” soundtrack]
    8. Fighting with the Pack (Rossi/Parfitt/Frost) 4:31 [“Benzin im Blut”]
    9. Analyse Time (Rossi/Bown) [B-Side Twenty Wild Horses]
    10. Obstruction Day (Parfitt/Edwards) [B-Side Twenty Wild Horses]
    11. Not Fade Away [Orchestral Version] 3:09 [Mike Batt’s “Philharmania” album]
    12. Whatever You Want [Live @ NOTP]
    13. In the Army Now [Live @ NOTP]
    14. Rockin’ All Over the World [Live @ NOTP]

Five years between two albums with original Quo material! Francis had seemingly learned from the shortcomings of “Thirsty Work” and wrote the heaviest bunch of songs in a long time with Bernie Frost – who would disappear shortly afterwards, something I still find very mysterious. Almost as many songs came from the combined forces of Rick (who had his first two writing credits since 1991), Andy and Rhino. Some new influence (!) also came from the new producer Mike Paxman, though his name had been associated with Quo before since he had been in a band with Rhino and Jeff. Unfortunately, while he may be very good in getting a band to perform well in the studio, his mixing abilities are dubious at best, an aspect that Rick would later criticize about this album and that Mike attempted to rectify himself (!) by remastering (!) his own work…

For the first time since 1972, Quo changed labels for this release but it didn't stop the outside meddling from the management’s side, which manifested itself in the band more or less being forced to record another cover version and the band being overruled when it came to choosing a cover. Despite Francis’ expressed annoyance at the title “Under the Influence” being interpreted as being drug-/alcohol-related (the song is apparently about an erotic dream) and his preference of another image, Quo had to relent and use the “pub sign” cover. (The remaster swapped it for the “bent fork” cover preferred by Francis.) At least it gave them another idea for a promotion campaign, which also included a small “pub tour” where Quo had to do with minimal set-up and small crowds (actually far more people wanted in…). The band also played a live set for the German TV format “Ohne Filter” in Baden-Baden and later in the year, they took part in the Night of the Proms (playing a couple of songs with orchestra – including the then-new “Twenty Wild Horses”!).

In any case, the album was well-received among Quo fans, but while “The Way It Goes” was a hit single, it didn't really translate into high chart performance of the LP.

There were many “extra” tracks, few of which actually were included on later editions of the album. According to Mike Paxman this was because “they weren’t part of the UTI sessions” – but since they weren’t included on the remaster of the next album either, they are somewhat orphaned tracks caught between the eras. One of these actually was part of the sessions, the re-recording of “Don't Waste My Time”. Four tracks were included in a German TV series called “Benzin im Blut” (obviously something to do with racing), the soundtrack album also included four “techno-style” remixes of old Quo classics and four non-Quo tracks. Apparently “Driving to Glory” and “Fighting with the Pack” (the only song written by Francis, Rick and Bernie – “Enough is Enough” doesn’t count!) were written specifically for the series and only subsequently appeared on Quo singles.

Various Artists: Benzin im Blut – Original Soundtrack aus der Sat.1-Serie

1. Status Quo: Driving to Glory 3:42
    2. Status Quo: Fighting with the Pack 4:31
    3. Status Quo: I Knew the Bride 3:26
    4. Status Quo: Sea Cruise 3:08
    5. Status Quo: Whatever You Want [Das Ministerium Remix] 4:34
    6. Status Quo: Don't Drive My Car [Das Ministerium Remix] 3:29
    7. Status Quo: Pictures of Matchstick Men [Julian Feifel Remix] 4:40
    8. Status Quo: Mystery Song [Frankie Chinasky Remix] 4:30

9. Motherbone: Motherbone (Chris Weller/Curt Cress/Ronny van Lankeren) 3:48
    10. Motherbone: Someone (Stefan Schrupp/Sven Schumacher) 3:51
    11. Motherbone: Blood on the Dancefloor (Weller/Claudia Kaisler/Cress/Peter Weihe) 3:59
    12. Peter Risavy: Still in Love (Cress/Jörg Jesse/Peter Bischof-Fallenstein) 4:13

Almost Simon likes this.
  16. JulesRules

By the way: The album cover is a gif from the Quo website which shows both variants in turns.

Almost Simon likes this.
  17. Almost Simon

I prefer the pub sign cover, much better.

Okay, i'll give this one a full listen tomorrow and post my review.

18. Johns44

Johns44 Forum Resident

So this was seen as a return to form for the band by many Quo fans and to a point it is. There isn't a great deal wrong with it in all honesty. Eagle Records didn't really seem to have the wherewithal to get the album out there as far as I remember as it was difficult to find in the shops.

1. Twenty Wild Horses (Rossi/Frost) 5:00 A great opening track and a cracking intro.
    2. Under The Influence (Rossi/Frost) 4:03 When I first heard this I thought it was too fast, but over the years I've grown to really like this one.
    3. Round And Round (Bown/Edwards) 3:25 Again I thought it was too fast, however like the title track it grew on me.
    4. Shine On (Parfitt/Edwards) 4:49 Very atmospheric and very very good
    5. Little White Lies (Parfitt) 4:20 I love this. It's poppy, it's catchy and if a decent record company had been behind it, it could well have been a much bigger hit.
    6. Keep ‘em Coming (Bown) 3:26 Pretty heavy, driving rocker. Lyrics are not the greatest but somehow that doesn't matter
    7. Little Me And You (Bown) 3:49 Again very poppy and again very good.
    8. Making Waves (Rossi/Frost) 3:56 This one is ok but not great
    9. Blessed Are The Meek (Rossi/Frost) 4:19 This split a lot of fans. Many because it was country tinged. Never understood the fuss really when you think Little White Lies and Little Me and You are pure pop. Personally I like it
    10. Roll The Dice (Rossi/Frost) 4:05. Quo by numbers but I'll take that over a lot of stuff out there.
    11. Not Fade Away (Norman Petty/Hardin a.k.a. Buddy Holly) 3:09 Mmm never sure whether I like this or not. Sometimes I love it and other times I can leave it.
    12. The Way It Goes (Rossi/Frost) 4:02 Brilliant single. Typically Quo

2017 Bonus Tracks (also on 2011 remaster except 16):

13. Sea Cruise (Huey “Piano” Smith) 3:14 [bonus on the Australian version & B-side The Way It Goes, also “Benzin im Blut” soundtrack] I remember having this on in the car and looked in my rear view mirror and saw 2 ladies in the car behind bopping away to it (guess I had it a bit loud) and giving me the thumbs up
    14. I Knew the Bride (Nick Lowe) 3:37 [B-Side Little White Lies, also “Benzin im Blut”] Not a patch on Dave Edmunds/Nick Lowe

Missing out live stuff and on to the rest

7. Driving to Glory (Parfitt/Edwards) 3:48 [B-Side Little White Lies, also “Benzin im Blut” soundtrack] Should have been on the album. Heavy as can be and brilliant
    8. Fighting with the Pack (Rossi/Parfitt/Frost) 4:31 [“Benzin im Blut”] Same as for Driving to Glory
    9. Analyse Time (Rossi/Bown) [B-Side Twenty Wild Horses] Another great Quo b side
    10. Obstruction Day (Parfitt/Edwards) [B-Side Twenty Wild Horses] Love this too. All 4 of these tracks should have been on the album

Overall it's a really good album, but was let down by poor distribution. When your major record stores and supermarkets aren't stocking it then it's not going to sell as much as it could have.

Man at C&A likes this.
  19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I haven't got this one or heard it in years. I like Twenty Wild Horses.

'Techno style remixes'. FFS!

20. Johns44

Johns44 Forum Resident

They were for the TV show in Germany so not really much to do with Quo themselves in terms of the type of remix

JulesRules likes this.
  21. Almost Simon

Listening to the album at present, will post a review later.

22. Almost Simon

Under the Influence

1. Twenty Wild Horses (Rossi/Frost) 5:00 - Very good, this is worthy of repeated listens.
    2. Under The Influence (Rossi/Frost) 4:03 - I'm not a big fan of the very fast tunes, they've done a few like this that would work better slower. An okay tune, not bad at all.
    3. Round And Round (Bown/Edwards) 3:25 - Decent track. Slow it down though.
    4. Shine On (Parfitt/Edwards) 4:49 - I always find myself hunting for the Rick tunes as the albums seem so Rossi heavy by this point. I like this a lot.
    5. Little White Lies (Parfitt) 4:20 - Very good, why Rossi singing though? Middle 8 aside and backing vocals, seems strange for him to sing a Rick song. If Rick can donate one of his songs to Francis then I'd suggest that Rossi does the same back to even out the vocals a bit more. I'm not suggesting 50/50 lead vocals between them but 2 or 3 Rick songs always helps in my view.
    6. Keep ‘em Coming (Bown) 3:26 - Okay album track, nothing special.
    7. Little Me And You (Bown) 3:49 - Average album track, nothing special. Reminds me of another song, cant remember which one though.
    8. Making Waves (Rossi/Frost) 3:56 - Not great although it does have some chords from 'Fine, Fine, Fine' off the 'Quo' album (1:34-1:44) which is one of my favourite Quo tunes.
    9. Blessed Are The Meek (Rossi/Frost) 4:19 - Its okay, not a bad chorus.
    10. Roll The Dice (Rossi/Frost) 4:05. - Standard Quo, not spectacular, not terrible either.
    11. Not Fade Away (Norman Petty/Hardin a.k.a. Buddy Holly) 3:09 - Not for me, if you're going to do a cover make it better not worse.
    12. The Way It Goes (Rossi/Frost) 4:02 - Not too bad at all.

Not a bad album overall. Nothing that really stands out but I would not complain if this was playing. Definitely one of the better late period albums although they did make ones better than this later on. I'd forgotten about this album, it was only the album cover that reminded me and the fact that in the Hello Quo bluray they talk of the pub tour they went on at the time. A few more Rick lead vocals wouldn't go amiss.

A good 7 out of 10 album.

JulesRules, Man at C&A and Johns44 like this.
  23. KAJ1971

Gave 'Under The Influence' a listen. Couldn't say much about it beforehand. First four tracks are decent, after that nothing stands out. Except 'Not Fade Away', but more for it's pointlessness. The version I had tags 'Sea Cruise' which is okay & 'I Knew The Bride' which isn't, and a decent live version of 'Twenty Wild Horses' on. I can't see I'll be putting it on again. Don't think I heard this at the time.

24. KAJ1971

Found a compilation from '79 called 'Just For The Record' on Pye whilst trawling ebay. A very Spinal Tap cover, couldn't see it getting released today. Can't post a picture so if you're curious it's on the discogs page.

Man at C&A likes this.
  25. Johns44

Johns44 Forum Resident

Just for the Record was a Pye label cash in (one of many after 1973) and the cover just has to be one of the worst ever.

JulesRules, KAJ1971 and Man at C&A like this.