Status Quo album-by-album thread (50 Years of Quo)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JulesRules, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Interesting interview with Rhino I saw this morning, language permitting may have a look and post it. Not heard him speak much before so interesting to hear his views.

Did you see it, Johns44? On Classic Rock, appeared on facebook for me.

JulesRules likes this.
  2. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug Thread Starter

You oughta read his tourlogs :)

Almost Simon likes this.
  3. JulesRules

2000: Famous in the Last Century
    [​IMG]

2000: Famous in the Last Century

1. Famous In The Last Century (Andrew Bown) 1:04
    2. Old Time Rock and Roll (George Jackson/Thomas Jones) 2:58 L
    3. Way Down (Layng Martine, Jr.) 2:51
    4. Rave On (Norman Petty/William “Billy” Tilghman/Sunny West)2:52
    5. Roll Over Beethoven (Berry) 3:07 L
    6. When I'm Dead And Gone (Benny Gallagher/Graham Lyle) 3:11
    7. Memphis (Berry) 2:31
    8. Sweet Home Chicago (Robert Johnson) 2:44
    9. Crawling From The Wreckage (Graham Parker) 2:42
    10. Good Golly Miss Molly (Otis Blackwell/John Marascalco) 2:05
    11. Claudette (Roy Orbison) 2:01
    12. Rock N Me (Steve Miller) 2:46
    13. Hound Dog (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller) 2:19
    14. Runaround Sue (Dion DiMucci/Maresca) 2:29
    15. Once Bitten Twice Shy (Ian Hunter) 3:40
    16. Mony Mony (Bobby Bloom/Bo Gentry/Tommy James/Ritchie Cordell) 2:59 L
    17. Famous In The Last Century (Andrew Bown) 1:15

2006 reissue bonus tracks:

Live at Shepherds Bush Empire, March 3, 2000 (last concert with Jeff Rich)
    18. Gerdundula [Live][B-Side Mony Mony] 4:30
    19. Forty-Five Hundred Times [Live] 5:03 ~
    20. Rain [Live][Tracks 19 & 20 B-Side Old Time Rock and Roll] 4:32

Argh!

I think that one word sums up very well how the fans thought about this album. Turns out, the band shares this sentiment. Francis said he thinks it’s the worst Status Quo album there ever was…or ever will be. :O While “Don't Stop” had come along handy because it bought the band some time to write more material and redefine their musical direction, this time it felt like Status Quo were rejected as songwriters. And when you have written several No. 1 albums that must have really hurt – to realize that, for whatever reason, the public seemed to prefer Quo doing cover songs instead of new self-penned Quo tracks. After the dissolution of the old band in the mid-80s, this was another dead-end moment. Reading the autobiography, one really gets the impression they had no idea how to continue as a functioning group and Francis had been thinking about knocking it on the head.

Of course, it turned out that this sad state of affairs would soon give way to a full pendulum swing in the opposite direction. Unfortunately one of the “positive” developments was the sudden and unexpected death of manager David Walker before the release of the next album…

Man at C&A likes this.
  4. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I haven't gone anywhere near this one and never will.

But things get better. A lot better...

Looking at the above track list, there's a lot of good song choices, but what's the point?

JulesRules likes this.
  5. JulesRules

If their hearts had been into it, it could have been good. But, well, that obviously wasn't the case...

Man at C&A likes this.
  6. Almost Simon

Famous in the last century

1. Famous In The Last Century (Andrew Bown) 1:04 What is the point of this? Short intro? At least Mr Bown
    got some publishing I guess. He must be the only band member to earn money on this release.

2. Old Time Rock and Roll (George Jackson/Thomas Jones) 2:58 L Its okay, surely better as the opening track rather than the Bown tune.
    3. Way Down (Layng Martine, Jr.) 2:51 Oh, dear god. The Elvis version is way better, this is lightweight, very poor.
    4. Rave On (Norman Petty/William “Billy” Tilghman/Sunny West)2:52 Track 4, surely time for some Rick but more Rossi, very poor.
    5. Roll Over Beethoven (Berry) 3:07 L At last some Rick. Okay.
    6. When I'm Dead And Gone (Benny Gallagher/Graham Lyle) 3:11 Really like the original which is far, far superior
    7. Memphis (Berry) 2:31 Its okay, halfway through, wanting this album to end.
    8. Sweet Home Chicago (Robert Johnson) 2:44 Not too bad
    9. Crawling From The Wreckage (Graham Parker) 2:42 Again, the original far better so whats the point?
    10. Good Golly Miss Molly (Otis Blackwell/John Marascalco) 2:05 I have the Backbeat band version on my ipod which i love, this by comparison is crap.
    11. Claudette (Roy Orbison) 2:01 Terrible, makes me want to listen to the original
    12. Rock N Me (Steve Miller) 2:46 I love the original. This version is dreadful.
    13. Hound Dog (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller) 2:19 I've never liked this song, Claptons 80s version is far from my favourite but its much better than this.
    14. Runaround Sue (Dion DiMucci/Maresca) 2:29 halfhearted, are they rushing through these songs to get them over quick? Awful.
    15. Once Bitten Twice Shy (Ian Hunter) 3:40 Rushed, halfhearted and poor.
    16. Mony Mony (Bobby Bloom/Bo Gentry/Tommy James/Ritchie Cordell) 2:59 L At least the album is near the end.
    17. Famous In The Last Century (Andrew Bown) 1:15 This one again, oh great.:confused:

That was not an enjoyable experience, the worst Quo album i've ever heard. I used the word half hearted twice for good reason. Thank god the albums after this are decent, we have something to look forward to, please dont leave us reviewing this album too long. You'll scare people away from this thread. :sigh:

JulesRules likes this.
  7. Almost Simon

Worst album cover too. Who signed off on this project? Seriously, this was a bad, bad idea. Record it if you must but then save embarrassment by realising its a mistake and leave it in the vaults. Release yet another best of instead.

8. JulesRules

I'd love to agree with you - but seeing how successful "Don't Stop" was, it was purely logical for the label to demand another covers album. And it was successful - not quite as much as DS was, but certainly more so than UTI. And that must have hurt.
    I thought of that too. Heavy Traffic is already in the queue :)

9. JulesRules

I forgot to mention that like DS, this also got a video release. I've never seen it, but again it's supposed to be a playback sort of thing. Not sure what the point is :confused:

10. Almost Simon

Don't Stop isn't too bad. Think my review for that was okay, better than expected.

11. JulesRules

2002: Heavy Traffic
    [​IMG]

1. Blues And Rhythm (Rossi/Bown) 4:29 L
    2. All Stand Up (Never Say Never) (Rossi/Young) 4:08 L
    3. The Oriental (Rossi/Edwards) 4:29 L
    4. Creepin' Up On You (Parfitt/Edwards) 5:01 L
    5. Heavy Traffic (Rossi/Young/Edwards) 4:23 L
    6. Solid Gold (Rossi/Young) 4:12 L
    7. Green (Bown) 3:35
    8. Jam Side Down (Terry Britten/Charlie Dore) 3:27 (L)
    9. Diggin' Burt Bacharach (Rossi/Young) 2:31
    10. Do It Again (Edwards/Bown) 3:39
    11. Another Day (Rossi/Young) 3:47
    12. I Don't Remember Anymore (Bown) 3:38
    13. Money Don't Matter (Rossi/Young) 3:46 [UK Release only]
    14. Rhythm Of Life (Rossi/Young) 5:04

Associated tracks:

1. The Madness (Parfitt/Edwards) 3:55 [Jam Side Down B-Side]
    2. You Let Me Down (Rossi/Young) 5:01 [All Stand Up B-Side]
    Live, with Paul Hirsh and first live recording with Matt Letley
    3. Down Down (Live 2000) [B-side "Jam Side Down"] 5:00
    4. Rockin' All Over the World (Live 2000) [B-Side "Jam Side Down"]
    Demos
    5. Creepin' Up (On You) [Demo]
    Rossi/Young demos
    6. Let's Start Again 3:59 (first song co-written by Rossi/Young after a long break)
    7. All Stand Up (Never Say Never) 3:03
    8. Heavy Traffic
    9. I Cried [this track ended up merged with "Heavy Traffic"]
    10. Solid Gold 3:39
    11. Diggin’ Burt Bacharach
    12. You Let Me Down
    13. Another Day
    14. Rhythm of Life
    15. (My) Faded Memory (later Rossi solo)
    16. Crazy About You (intended for Quo, later Rossi solo)
    17. Tallulah's Waiting (later Rossi solo)

• Francis Rossi – Vocals, Guitar
    • Rick Parfitt – Vocals, Guitar
    • John ‘Rhino’ Edwards – Bass
    • Andy Bown – Keyboards, Harmonica
    • Matt Letley – Drums

Sometimes change is good. The band had got annoyed with Jeff Rich’s increasing dedication to his drum schools and after some disagreements between Jeff and Rhino (which would only be resolved years later), Jeff decided to leave Status Quo for good. His replacement was a gentleman named Matthew (commonly known as Matt) Letley. While Jeff had always brought a lot of energy to the band’s live performances, it rarely translated well into a studio setting. Also, even in the 90s Jeff still had a pretty artificial, 80s-sounding drum sound. Matt’s playing finally turned Quo into a proper heavy rock band again. In the time before the release of “Heavy Traffic” Andy was taking time out because his wife had fallen ill, and he was temporarily replaced by a man called Paul Hirsch. But the really important change (besides the drum stool) was clearly the switch back from the Rossi/Frost partnership back to the classic Rossi/Young team. Somehow Bernie had disappeared, and Francis and Bob were reconciling their friendship, rectifying all the misunderstandings that had arisen between them (or rather that had been artificially created by the fraudulent management), and started writing together again. After only a short time they already had 25 songs. Some of these were already played live and gave fans a tantalising glimpse of what was to come. Read &nbsp - Interviews 4-5 and you’ll see how excited Rick and Francis were about the new material.

When “Heavy Traffic” was released, fans were delighted. And in some ways it proved that while it wasn’t unimportant who played on a Quo album, it was far more important who wrote the songs. “Heavy Traffic” was meant to be a classic Quo album and it turned out to be one. It was also quite successful, despite not being tied to too many publicity stunts (unless the video of “Jam Side Down” – which wasn’t such a great 1st single, it has to be said – can be counted as one) and despite featuring a cover that David Walker wouldn’t have liked. For the first time since the mid-80s, Quo were being generally liked for their music again. They had become a proper rock band again. Thank God.

Almost Simon and Man at C&A like this.
  12. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Well, I started listening to FITLC and started reading the posts. When I got to the 'Heavy Traffic' post I stopped FITLC because it's abysmal. I couldn't listen to anymore. Don't remember HT but I hope it''s better. These covers LP's are just dire. The first ten seconds of HT is better.

JulesRules likes this.
  13. JulesRules

It definitely is! Spawned several songs which became "modern classics" - although, while I admire their love for the LP, I wish they would swap those two that have remained in the set ever since (The Oriental & Creepin' Up on You) for something else from HT.

14. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

When I saw them at Bluesfest in Byron Bay in '13 they did 'The Oriental' & 'Creeping Up On You'. I remember thinking 'The Oriental' was an old song but couldn't think when from. Now I know! They were great that day. Long stopped picking up their LP's but I was down the front and they looked like they had a blast. I'd put a few pictures up but I'm technologically challenged.

JulesRules likes this.
  15. Mulderre

Mulderre 60s and 70s Music Lover

I was eagerly awaiting for FiTLC to arrive. Yes, I have the DVD release, and yes, it is 100% playback. All the album sung "live" before and audience without explanations nor interludes or speeches (?) by the singers. It is song-song-song until the end. Very dissapointing, to be honest.

JulesRules likes this.
  16. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I checked back in with Status Quo with the Heavy Traffic after giving up on them for a while. My favorites include The Oriental, Creepin' Up On You, Heavy Traffic and Jam Side Down. The Oriental is my favorite track on the album and I am happy when it is in the live set. The album is solid but the album cover is not very good.

JulesRules likes this.
  17. Almost Simon

I'll dig it out for a play tomorrow. Agreed on the album cover, terrible. I know some see covers as not so important, that the music is the important piece but really its a whole package.

I already know ill like HT more than the previous album, will give it my full attention tomorrow.

Man at C&A likes this.
  18. Johns44

Johns44 Forum Resident

Good interview. Always like his honesty.

19. Almost Simon

Yes, i liked it too. Couldn't find it to re-post it though.
    Actually seems to be an old interview from December posted again by Classic Rock.

20. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

I didn't buy Heavy Traffic at the time but I remember seeing them on TOTP (probably doing Jam Side Down) and thinking "yay, the Quo are back".

JulesRules likes this.
  21. Johns44

Johns44 Forum Resident

Went to the album launch (Shepherds Bush) if I remember rightly and had a thoroughly good night.

Famous in the last century

1. Famous In The Last Century (Andrew Bown) 1:04 Should really have been merged with the other half of the song. I like the lyrics and it goes along quite nicely, but like I say much better not being split in half.

2. Old Time Rock and Roll (George Jackson/Thomas Jones) 2:58 L I like this one. Got to No4 in Sweden or Norway. Hadn't heard the original before and to be honest since then I have and I prefer Quo's take on it.
    3. Way Down (Layng Martine, Jr.) 2:51 I thought it was a **** Elvis song and Quo did a good job with it
    4. Rave On (Norman Petty/William “Billy” Tilghman/Sunny West)2:52 Not great, but not that awful
    5. Roll Over Beethoven (Berry) 3:07 L Even with Rick (Mr T) this is awful. Give me ELO anytime
    6. When I'm Dead And Gone (Benny Gallagher/Graham Lyle) 3:11 Again didn't know the original that well and for some reason I think this is one of the album's highlights
    7. Memphis (Berry) 2:31 Bad, just bad
    8. Sweet Home Chicago (Robert Johnson) 2:44 Suited to Quo so pretty decent
    9. Crawling From The Wreckage (Graham Parker) 2:42 Can't beat Dave Edmunds on this one. Bloody awful by Quo
    10. Good Golly Miss Molly (Otis Blackwell/John Marascalco) 2:05 One of the worst things Quo have done
    11. Claudette (Roy Orbison) 2:01 Terrible, makes me want to listen to the original
    12. Rock N Me (Steve Miller) 2:46 Ok but only just
    13. Hound Dog (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller) 2:19 Rubbish
    14. Runaround Sue (Dion DiMucci/Maresca) 2:29 Definitely not worth repeated plays
    15. Once Bitten Twice Shy (Ian Hunter) 3:40 I kind of like this but again only just.
    16. Mony Mony (Bobby Bloom/Bo Gentry/Tommy James/Ritchie Cordell) 2:59 L I like it but not hugely
    17. Famous In The Last Century (Andrew Bown) 1:15 See first comment

Definitely Quo in "we don't know what the f*** we are doing" mode. I think management at the time really lead Quo down the wrong path and stupidly they went with it instead of saying sod it.

JulesRules and Almost Simon like this.
  22. Almost Simon

23. Johns44

Johns44 Forum Resident

For many this was a return to form for Quo and to some extent they have a point though I think it starts off strong and then tails off a bit in he second half. I'd heard demos of the album months before hand so I knew it was going to be something better than FITLC.

1. Blues And Rhythm (Rossi/Bown) 4:29 Brilliant start to the album. Love this to bits
    2. All Stand Up (Never Say Never) (Rossi/Young) 4:08 Very singalong chorus and again love it
    3. The Oriental (Rossi/Edwards) 4:29 Some don't like this one but I always have despite the rather naff lyrics
    4. Creepin' Up On You (Parfitt/Edwards) 5:01 Again brilliant
    5. Heavy Traffic (Rossi/Young/Edwards) 4:23 Love this. Although they could have been a bit more imaginative toward the end of it
    6. Solid Gold (Rossi/Young) 4:12 Again fantastic
    7. Green (Bown) 3:35 This is ok but with a lot of Rick sung things in latter year Quo it isn't anything special
    8. Jam Side Down (Terry Britten/Charlie Dore) 3:27 I tink this is a great catchy little single.
    9. Diggin' Burt Bacharach (Rossi/Young) 2:31 Always think of Gerdundula when I play this only its not quite as good
    10. Do It Again (Edwards/Bown) 3:39 Races along nicely but nothing amazing
    11. Another Day (Rossi/Young) 3:47 It's ok
    12. I Don't Remember Anymore (Bown) 3:38 It's ok
    13. Money Don't Matter (Rossi/Young) 3:46 [UK Release only] Ok again
    14. Rhythm Of Life (Rossi/Young) 5:04 Fabulous. Why Quo didn't/don't do more songs like this I have no idea. Personally I love it

Associated tracks:

1. The Madness (Parfitt/Edwards) 3:55 [Jam Side Down B-Side] Nope just not good
    2. You Let Me Down (Rossi/Young) 5:01 [All Stand Up B-Side] Like Rhythm of Life, I love it. Reminiscent of early 70's Quo and I always think of the Wedding Present for some reason towards the end of it. Great song.

Almost Simon likes this.
  24. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

i must have missed all of this.
    quo are a great band. my favourite albums, not necessarily in order are

quo
    hello
    on the level
    piledriver
    blue for you
    whatever you want
    if you can't stand the heat
    quo live

i reckon it is essential to own at least two of these ... or i suppose twelve gold bars ... if you say you like rock music.

Man at C&A and JulesRules like this.
  25. Almost Simon

Heavy Traffic -

1. Blues And Rhythm (Rossi/Bown) 4:29 Very good start, best Quo song in many a year.
    2. All Stand Up (Never Say Never) (Rossi/Young) 4:08 Pretty good, why don't i own this album? Probably was passed a copy of it at some point but put off listening after the covers albums.
    3. The Oriental (Rossi/Edwards) 4:29 Don't like this one at all. Naff lyrics.
    4. Creepin' Up On You (Parfitt/Edwards) 5:01 Yay, some Rick. Its a bit by numbers, takes ideas from other songs. Okay.
    5. Heavy Traffic (Rossi/Young/Edwards) 4:23 Okay album track.
    6. Solid Gold (Rossi/Young) 4:12 This is pretty good. Like a lot.
    7. Green (Bown) 3:35 Okay album track.
    8. Jam Side Down (Terry Britten/Charlie Dore) 3:27 Not for me, okay but i'd happily flick to the next track.
    9. Diggin' Burt Bacharach (Rossi/Young) 2:31 Okay album track. It is a Gerdundula re-write.
    10. Do It Again (Edwards/Bown) 3:39 Not bad.
    11. Another Day (Rossi/Young) 3:47 Okay album track
    12. I Don't Remember Anymore (Bown) 3:38 Good to have some more Rick but its not a stunner, okay.
    13. Money Don't Matter (Rossi/Young) 3:46 Pretty good. Like this one.
    14. Rhythm Of Life (Rossi/Young) 5:04 Nice to have a change of pace, they could've mixed this album up better, pretty good but poor running order. Moody, need more of these type of tunes.

Their best album since Rock Til You Drop I'd say. Good to save up some songs and make a better album. I'm not fond of the "smiley trying to have a hit single Quo" a la Jam Side Down. You know, the annoying grinning video. I am a grumpy old git and prefer the rockier and moodier tracks. Best tracks, in the main are front loaded on this record, not fond of the running order but overall its pretty impressive. A good 7.5 out of 10.

Man at C&A, Johns44 and JulesRules like this.