Status Quo album-by-album thread (50 Years of Quo)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JulesRules, Jul 25, 2017.

1. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I don't have Ain't Complaining. Is it work picking up?

2. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

If memory serves, I believe this was the follow up to "In The Army Now". I have not heard it in many a year, but I remember the music on this screaming the 80's big time. Was never an album I cared for much and a lot due to just that. Might have to go back and give it a listen and see how it aged, I am thinking not very good and wondering why we need a 3 CD expanded set of this...anyone else...

3. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Their albums after the Frantic Four are more spotty and I only have a few of them.

scotti likes this.
  4. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Enjoyed reading thru this thread
    At the tender age of 11 I remember watching the quo nec gig on tv , and like queen at Milton Keynes on the tube being blown away and my lifelong music / record/ gigs obsession began and still goes on
    12 gold bars was my first quo album and like queen greatest hits is a perfect comp and flawless introduction to a band
    I bailed on the quo after back to back (which I didn’t mind too much tbh) but after rescuing my vinyl from the loft 10years or so ago I’ve started picking up a few quo lps in the bargain bins to play over my CDs
    So from a distance my thoughts are that essentials are quo live and 12 gold bars
    Then the studio sets from dog of two head up to blue for you
    From the makers of is a good pick up in the bargain bins and excess all areas a decent cd comp
    Anything else is for the dedicated
    But I’ll always have a soft spot for the quo , RIP rick

Man at C&A and JulesRules like this.
  5. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Aged 13, Quo on the 'End Of The Road' tour, Queen at Wembley '86 on tv for me. '12 Gold Bars Vol. I+II & Quuen's GH. Had 'From The Makers Of' given to me as well.

Gavaxeman likes this.
  6. Johns44

Johns44 Forum Resident

I think I am in the minority of Quo fans who thinks Ain't Complainin' is a really good album. In fact one of my favourites. The new deluxe version looks worth buying so I'll be checking that out soo.

JulesRules likes this.
  7. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug Thread Starter

I had some input into the tracklisting for the upcoming deluxes, although I'm not entirely happy with the final results.

It's true that some of these albums may not be worth reissuing, but they have lots of extra stuff that's hard to get. In that sense, they're not bad.

8. JulesRules

2014: Aquostic (Stripped Bare)
    Aquostic

2014: 2) Aquostic (Stripped Bare)

1. Pictures of Matchstick Men (Rossi)
    2. Down the Dustpipe (Groszmann)
    3. Na Na Na (Rossi/Young)
    4. Paper Plane (Rossi/Young)
    5. All the Reasons (Parfitt/Lancaster)
    6. Reason for Living (Rossi/Parfitt)
    7. And It's Better Now (Rossi/Young)
    8. Caroline (Rossi/Young)
    9. Softer Ride (Parfitt/ Lancaster)
    10. Claudie (Rossi/Young)
    11. Break the Rules (Rossi/Parfitt/Lancaster/Coghlan/Young)
    12. Down Down (Rossi/Young)
    13. Mystery Song (Parfitt/Young) [Bonus Track] ~
    14. Little Lady (Parfitt) [Bonus Track]
    15. Rain (Parfitt)
    16. Rockin' All Over the World (Fogerty)
    17. Again and Again (Parfitt/Bown/Lynton)
    18. Whatever You Want (Parfitt/Bown)
    19. What You're Proposing (Rossi/Frost)
    20. Rock 'n' Roll (Rossi/Frost)
    21. Don't Drive My Car (Parfitt/Bown)
    22. Marguerita Time (Rossi/Frost)
    23. Rollin' Home (David) [Bonus Track]
    24. Burning Bridges (Rossi/Bown)
    25. Rock 'til You Drop (Bown)

· Francis Rossi − guitars, vocals
    · Rick Parfitt − guitars, ukulele, vocals
    · Andy Bown − guitar, mandolin, harmonica, piano, vocals
    · John „Rhino" Edwards − guitar, acoustic & electric bass, vocals
    · Leon Cave − guitar, drums, vocals

Plus:

· Geraint Watkins − accordion
    · Martin Ditcham − percussion
    · Amy Smith − background vocals
    · Richard Benbow − string arrangements
    · Lucy Wilkins – violin (leader)
    · Howard Gott − violin
    · Natalia Bonner − violin
    · Alison Dods − violin
    · Sophie Sirota − viola
    · Sarah Willson – cello

Status Quo unplugged? Bad, bad idea. Well, that's what the band themselves once said. Francis and Rick already did an unplugged session for the BBC in 1989 (partially released on the BBC box set), but the idea to latch onto the success of the MTV Unplugged® series was not deemed sensible by both band and management. Several years later, BBC Radio 2 approached them again with the idea, and possibly the prospect of extensive media coverage helped to convince the management. Maybe it’s also a question of age; what seemed too “soft” for a band still in the prime of their performing years now was an interesting alternative. The strangest thing about the project though is the fact that Rick was far more enthusiastic about it than Francis, but afterwards this would turn around by 180°.

Anyway, I remember when the album was teased as “Quo as you’ve never seen them before” and there were all kinds of fears what the next publicity stunt would be. There was talk of a musical or duets album… in the end, many fans were relieved that it was “just” an acoustic album.

…Although it did prove to be divisive – Quo fans generally fall into four camps: 1) Those who liked the idea and subsequently also liked the album, 2) those who liked the idea but were disappointed with the execution, 3) those who were sceptical about it but were convinced by the results, and 4) those who trashed it before hearing a single note. Of course, the heavy marketing, the ham-fisted double title and the Bryan-Adams-shot album cover with naked band members met with mixed reactions too.

Personally, I never really understood all the vitriol poured at the album. Nothing on here offends me like, say, Going Down Town Tonight does... I thought it was overall average. I still maintain that opinion but some tracks aren't all that bad.

Overall, the typical Quo "hits" are the ones that work least for me. Paper Plane, Caroline, RAOTW etc. are just superfluous. Those songs are OK as compositions but elevated by the energetic band performances. Take that out and you're left with something diluted and weak. Mystery Song or Whatever You Want with the strings taking the guitar riffs - why?!

The tracks that work best for me are generally those that are outside the known Quo "formula". I've lauded And It's Better Now before and it's a good example of a song that maybe was originally bogged down by its production and some unnecessary flourishes. The more straight-ahead rendition brings the song forward better IMO. All The Reasons is similarly well-arranged but unfortunately let down by Rick's shaky vocal. However, I really like A Reason for Living and the country songs in particular. In the case of Claudie I feel that the electric guitars kinda got in the way and made the song too heavy (which doesn't really fit its character) and in the case of Marguerita Time... well the less said about the synths on the original, the better.

I sure wish Francis would play more solos - none of the screechy note-bending possible on an acoustic and when he does do one (e.g. Break the Rules) it's always nice and melodic.

Ultimately, the album's biggest flaw isn't the bland production, the crowded arrangements (“stripped bare”, eh?) or how some of the songs just seem like watered-down versions of the originals, but the track order. I really don't get why they couldn't come up with a better track order than simply going by the original release dates... There is no proper flow and one has to ask the question why they couldn't come up with a logical sequence before the live gigs?

Anyway, here’s my rundown.

Pictures of Matchstick Men: The first thing you hear on a Quo album… strings. Violins, viola & cello. Huh? But it works; while I wouldn’t necessarily say that it improves upon the original version, it’s certainly more interesting than the 1999 remake. This is an old man looking back at his beginnings, and therefore it must sound a lot more mature. I can imagine some people being annoyed by the female vocalists, but I'm not that bothered.

Down the Dustpipe: Nice. I always like Quo’s blues numbers. But it’s mostly left unchanged, so not really essential.

Nanana (or “Na Na Na” as it’s called here): This is one of the more obscure numbers on here, and it’s a welcome addition. Though, it was pretty much acoustic to begin with…

Paper Plane: This is the first track that feels unnecessary to me. I mean, it’s a pretty faithful rendition, but it doesn’t rock like the original and the accordion is annoying…

All the Reasons: I like the basic arrangement, but Rick’s voice… wake me up in the morning and ask me to sing and I’ll sound like that. Not sure what was wrong when they recorded this…

Reason for Living: One of Rick’s best lyrics and a pretty good version. It swings along nicely, even with a little guitar solo… (I do prefer the original version, though!)

And It's Better Now: One of the highlights, and rightly released as the first single. The rendition is far more straightforward than the original arrangement, and it suits the song. All the distracting effects and start-stops are gone, and I found myself liking the song a lot more without them!

Caroline: Starting this off as a relaxed shuffle really appeals to me, but then they switch gears and turn it into a thin version of the already worn-out live arrangement. That’s a missed chance.

Softer Ride: A bit of a mess. The band didn't seem to know exactly what to do with this song. The dynamic jumps are sort of smoothed out, and the breaks are gone, but not entirely! Stripping this song bare made it less interesting.

Claudie: This is almost unchanged, yet I prefer the acoustic version. Basically what’s been a country song played with fat electric guitars is now a country song played with acoustic guitars and violins. And maybe it’s just me, but it seems to fit better with the words and melody.

Break the Rules: For what it’s worth, this actually sounds more like a “long, long evening in a low-down honky-tonk bar” than the original! I quite like this; it also has Francis having a crack at the speedy guitar solo.

Down Down: This is rather pointless. The song’s length was cut in half by omitting all the interesting parts! Even what’s left sounds castrated without the breaks and jumps, and the accordion? Nah…

Mystery Song/Little Lady [*] [**] This little Parfitt medley was included on some special editions of the album, and it was the reason I had to wait months until I got the album! (Somehow, nobody at my local MediaMarkt had an inkling of this exclusive release, and it took them ages to get it, apparently from another market somewhere in North Germany. Wild story.) But it’s not really noteworthy, two songs thrown together for no obvious reason, robbed of the best parts and performed in a rather lacklustre manner. Still, nice to get some Rick vocals, although he doesn’t sound too great. You do get a sense that he did very little actual playing and was even less involved in the arranging, I can imagine he wasn’t happy about what had become of his songs…

Rain: I like this! Somehow this sounds a bit looser and more inspired than many other tracks on the album. It’s a slowed-down, bluesy version with the main riff cleverly changed. Rick sounds good here.

Rockin' All Over the World: Ahhhhh…what would a Quo release be without RAOTW. Seriously, it’s perfectly listenable but not all that different from the ubiquitous original arrangement, aside from the key change. The “guitar solo” is a bit ridiculous, though.

Again and Again: Here’s a rather different version of a well-known song. What used to be a stomping rock track with tempo changes is now a mixture of country and boogie-woogie. Like “Rain”, I like it but I don't prefer it over the original. But I appreciate that they tried to do something original with it, changing the feel of the song.

Whatever You Want: Poor. This sounds like the studio version, except with its balls removed! I want to scream when I hear the guitar riff played by the strings. I want to yell when I hear what they did to the “part formerly known as guitar solo”. Should’ve left this one alone, methinks.

What You're Proposing: And another song with violins playing guitar riffs. It sounds bland, banal, and like a watered down version of the original. No middle part to be seen!

Rock 'n' Roll: The ballads seem to work well in this environment, and this is no exception. Nice, even if I miss the guitar solo.

Don't Drive My Car: This is the most drastically changed song, and Francis (perhaps surprisingly, perhaps not) seems to be a really big fan of this version. The rhythm is changed to something probably best described as “gypsy swing”.

Marguerita Time: A very straightforward rendition of a song I wouldn’t class as one of Quo’s high points, but err… I like it! The violins replace the cheesy synths and suddenly the song loses all its feeling of artifice. Now it sounds earnest, sentimental… but not kitschy. Nice.

Rollin' Home [**]: Not on my version of the album – for whatever reason, because it’s not a bad version! Again, the positive thing about the album is that the more dated sounding electronic elements are replaced with real instruments.

Burning Bridges: This seems like a logical choice for such a project and it fits the ensemble very well. There aren’t many changes to the song, the strings are used well. Phew!

Rock 'til You Drop: Another ballad, another very listenable version. Interesting that the newest song on an album from 2014 stems back from 1991…

So, what's my verdict? “Not bad, but not essential either”. The track-by-track rundown makes it sound better than it actually is; as a whole I'm not convinced by it. Since there’s so many tracks on it, I can’t just program my CD player to play it in the live sequence either! But if you have the means to do it, I recommend doing it. Or you might just wait for…

9. JulesRules

Forgot to post the cover for Aquostic. D'oh!

[​IMG]

10. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Well that's a post that needs elaborating upon :cool: Curious to what your role is? Are you involved with the band directly or just the record company and reissue? And can you advise what reissues are being looked at for future release?

11. Almost Simon

Aquostic - I fall into camp 2 - those who liked the idea but were disappointed with the execution, its okay but not great. Personally disappointed they didn't play Fine, Fine, Fine as always liked that song from Quo, but that's a minor point. And the album cover is terrible, bad idea. Does not sell the album as something of quality, possibly makes it more of a joke in some peoples eyes, which is unfair. The album isn't as bad as the cover suggests.

JulesRules likes this.
  12. JulesRules

I got in touch with Steve Hammonds because I thought some of the deluxe editions could have been better. After sending in the odd suggestion I went all-out and just sent him detailed tracklists - based on what I know exists. And these were the basis for what we're getting now. But there are some odd omissions that I'm not happy about.

Future releases will be the remaining albums owned by Universal - if these sell sufficiently. I also worked on something designed to be the final word on everything regarding pre-Piledriver but BMG don't seem to be interested...

13. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

If you want a really stupid cover, how about the front cover of "Heavy Traffic" with a pack of Mammoth Elephants running the band down. Their covers were getting as cheesy as their music was. And I admit, even their weak albums had a good song here and there, but the Quo of old was sadly no more...

14. JulesRules

The band quite liked the Heavy Traffic cover (compared to the bottles, pub signs etc. before), and it's generally regarded as one of the closest they ever got to the old sound after the end of the classic lineup.
    I can't say I'm over the moon about the Aquostic cover but it was a good pic from an photographic standpoint

15. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I will admit that HT is not that bad at all compared to some of their other later releases. But that cover is really lame. Not sure why the band would have liked it. One other later title I always liked was Riffs, some good covers on this one.

16. JulesRules

Because it's a scenic cover, one that shows the entire band as opposed to just Rick and Francis, and because it doesn't look so much like a Greatest Hits thing. It's not obvious. In that sense, it resembles the 70s album covers. And it wasn't forced on them.

17. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Fair enough, but other than having all members on the cover, this is a far cry from the covers of Piledriver, Hello, and Quo to name a few. But I now understand where you were coming from and I appreciate the feedback.

By the way, can you confirm that the reason the classic line up fell apart was do to Rossi's drug problems? I have seen thousands of concerts, but back in the 70's when this band was on, there was nothing like it. They were like a powerful locomotive going down the track at an uncontrollable speed...one of the most powerful live bands I have ever seen, up there with the original Who. I have never heard any live albums by them that quite captured this magic.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  18. JulesRules

2014: Aquostic! Live at the Roundhouse
    Aquostic Live

2014: 3) Aquostic! Live at the Roundhouse

CD 1:
    1. And It's Better Now 4:26
    2. Break the Rules 3:09
    3. Again and Again 3:23
    4. Paper Plane 5:11
    5. Mystery Song 2:28 ~
    6. Little Lady 1:57
    7. Rock 'n' Roll 2:41 ~
    8. Caroline 3:16
    9. What You're Proposing 2:01
    10. Softer Ride 4:25
    11. Down Down 2:42
    12. Pictures of Matchstick Men 3:47
    CD 2:
    13. Down the Dustpipe 2:49
    14. All the Reasons 3:12
    15. Reason for Living 3:20
    16. Rollin' Home 4:59
    17. Don't Drive My Car 3:21
    18. Claudie 4:05
    19. Rain 3:59
    20. Marguerita Time 3:23
    21. Na Na Na 2:56
    22. Whatever You Want 3:37
    23. Rockin' All Over the World 3:37
    24. Rock 'Til You Drop 2:54
    25. Burning Bridges 4:27

Bonus Tracks on MediaMarkt/Saturn-Edition 2 CD/DVD: Live in Stuttgart

26. Caroline 3:16

27. Rollin’ Home 4:10

Bonus Feature on DVD and Blu-Ray:

Ø Behind the Acoustics

· Francis Rossi – Vocals, Acoustic Guitar

· Rick Parfitt – Vocals, Acoustic Guitar, Ukulele

· Andy Bown – Acoustic Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Piano, Vocals

· John “Rhino” Edwards – Acoustic & Electric Bass, Vocals

· Leon Cave – Drums, Acoustic Guitar, Vocals

Additional Players:

· Freddie Edwards – Acoustic & 12-String Guitar

· Geraint Watkins - Piano, Accordion

· Martin Ditcham - Percussion

· Amy Newhouse-Smith - Vocals, Percussion

· Hannah Rickard - Vocals, Violin & Percussion

· Lucy WiIlkins - Violin (Leader)

· Gillon Cameron - Violin

· Alison Dods - Violin

· Howard Gott - Violin

· Sophie Sirota - Viola

· Sarah Willson - Cello

· Musical Director - Mike Paxman

· Strings Arranger - Rick Benbow

“Another Aquostic album?” you may sigh.

Part of the original idea was to not only release a studio album, but also to perform all the songs live with the expanded ensemble. This required the band to do quite a bit of rehearsing and took them out of their comfort zone (as you can hear in the documentary). Playing an acoustic guitar is different from playing an electric (due to the size of the body, string action etc.), sitting down is different from standing up, and of course it was a whole new program and even the well-known songs had new arrangements. Additionally, playing with "real musicians" (as Francis put it) not only made the band more nervous, but it also meant that the band had to play in time and couldn't throw in an extra chorus or such. Of course, this can be constraining as well as liberating depending on the point of view.

Apart from the classical players, the band was also augmented with “eye candy” (again Francis’ quote) in form of the two female backing vocalists (one of which also plays some violin), a percussionist and (strangely enough) another guitarist in the shape of Rhino’s son Freddie Edwards. He wasn’t present during the recording of the studio album and doesn’t really seem necessary, so his presence is a bit strange…

Anyway, the world-premiere was a special concert at the Roundhouse in London, recorded for BBC Radio 2. One thing that immediately makes a difference is the great audience. I think Quo were surprised and flattered at the amount of cheering they got for such a mostly low-key and quiet set. But what the band didn't (and seemingly still don't) understand is that it was also the enthusiasm due to a complete new set, including lots of rarely (if ever) performed songs and a new, almost unpredictable song order. Yes, unlike the studio Aquostic this has a proper setlist, and it’s a great one! Starting with the orchestral drone leading into “And It’s Better Now”, and ending with the encores of “Rock ‘Til You Drop” and “Burning Bridges”, it’s a wonderful ride. Going from "Rock 'n' Roll" into "Caroline" is a genius idea! The nervousness took its toll, though, when during “Rain” (a song that was almost continuously played by Quo since the late 70s‼), Rick completely phased out and started with the wrong verse, immediately realizing he was wrong but seemingly not able of finding the right words until he was clued in by the audience. While it’s nice to have such a moment of imperfection captured, I do wonder why they didn't interrupt the song and simply start anew. It’s not rocket science!

Another thing that elevates the live version above the studio album besides the audience reactions and the setlist is the better mixing (at least on the stereo versions; the 5.1 on the DVD is mixed too bass-heavy).

As a visual experience, it’s obviously not hugely dynamic. You don't get to see much jumping around, understandably, and even though there’s a lot more musicians to look at the shots start to get old after a while. But if you want to see something a bit more sedate from The Quo, here’s your DVD.

Only two days later there was a second Aquostic gig, this time in Germany. They were invited to play at the finale of the SWR1 Hitparade. For a few years now the one week of non-stop listener-voted hits-madness usually culminates in a big party at the Hanns-Martin-Schleyer-Halle in Stuttgart, where the Number One (usually "Stairway to Heaven" by good ol’ Led Zep’) is followed by live music by one or more well-known acts. Among those who've been there in the last couple of years are Saga (great!), Manfred Mann's Earth Band (the GREATEST!!!), Nazareth (OK), Chris de Burgh (acceptable), Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark (a bit sterile), Level 42 (hot!), Ken Hensley (ex-Uriah Heep), Sydney Youngblood, Kim Wilde, Alphaville and many more that I've probably forgotten...

I actually wasn't there but watched the entire show via online livestream on my computer and recorded the radio broadcast as mp3 on an USB stick. As sceptical as I was of the whole project (and I hadn't heard the studio album in full yet or seen/heard the Roundhouse gig), I thought it was a very good performance. Rick seemed relaxed (and didn't forget the words to "Rain"!), the accordion was better integrated & Geraint also played more piano on tracks where Andy couldn't do it. The big bummer was that Quo couldn't do their planned encores because the oh-so-great SWR1 Band *had* to do their boring set of mediocrely executed party hits right afterwards... many in the audience were annoyed, and rightly so (many fans had come especially/only to see Quo).

Two of the songs from this concert appeared on a German exclusive 2CD+DVD edition of the Roundhouse concert as bonus tracks, but somehow they sound not only worse than the Roundhouse tracks, but even worse than the radio mix that I recorded! There is some rather heavy limiting and the live atmosphere doesn’t really come well across. Why exactly those two songs were chosen isn’t clear either, I would have preferred to get a proper rendition of “Rain”… and of course, let’s not forget that the video was recorded too (I think SWR1 posted a few songs on YouTube).

19. JulesRules

I can confirm that Status Quo were a great live band - just listen to the 1973 BBC set. :)

There were many issues with Quo starting in the late 70s. Drugs were one. Alan having moved to Australia, thus no longer hanging out with the other guys, was another. "Musical differences" too. The management ripped them off and fueled conflicts in order to cover their actions - this is the reason for Bob Young being removed from the Quo circle, so to speak. And once he and people like John Eden were gone, the issues tended to escalate more quickly.

We'll never hear the full story, I guess. But at least we have the music...

scotti likes this.
  20. Johns44

Johns44 Forum Resident

Sorry I haven't been on for a while. So Aquostic. Basically I thought it was great. Live at the Roundhouse topped the dvd music charts and it's a pretty good representation of the Aquostic idea. Sadly I've not seen a Quo acoustic set for myself. There is still life in the band and I am looking forward in anticipation and a bit of trepidation to the new album.

21. JulesRules

The problem was that (from what I heard) all the extra musicians made the Aquostic set expensive to tour, so it wasn't really taken on the road much - in light of that fact it's bizarre that the official line was that Quo would only perform acoustically in the future... but we're not quite there yet.

22. Almost Simon

The last of the electrics was a farce that I bought into. The gig itself was very good, (the 02.) i know we'll get to that later but a frustration to advertise it as such, does make me less inclined to bother seeing them live again. Sorry to be grumpy.

JulesRules likes this.
  23. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

My first Quo was 12 Gold Bars and 12 Gold Bars 2 on fatboy cassette.:cool:
    Of course I ended up getting their entire catalogue.

JulesRules, Man at C&A and Gavaxeman like this.
  24. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

I can imagine. I was surprised they went against what they said. Now, no Rick, I won't be going again. The last gig I saw in '13 was fantastic so that'll be the end for me.

Man at C&A likes this.
  25. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Any reviews of the live albums without Rick? I have hesitated on picking any of them up so far. Down Down And Dirty at Wacken is the new electric one.