Stay away from UPS. Don't use UPS.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lpcd2001, May 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

lpcd2001,

I spoke to the same seller tonight (I actually met him to pick up a record) and he said that he'll compensate your loss when the claim goes through. He just wants the record sent back, if UPS doesn't take it. Jerry's a nice and fair guy. I've brought several things off of him locally. He said he just couldn't believe that "Pet Sounds" showed up in CA like a big "U" (ouch!). I picked up the DCC 'Juanita Sings the Blues' album he's been trying to sell on Audiogon. It's in perfect condition as described. I definately (based on my dealings with him in the past) think UPS screwed up...

Todd

P.S. Small world...

2. Highway Star

Highway Star New Member

going postal

Another thing to keep in mind is the USPS usually doesn't have items with excessive weight going through their system to do damage to smaller, lighter-weight packages. UPS on the other hand, has many items going through at over 75 lbs and higher. Almost all the 45s and LPS/CDs I purchase are sent through the mail. In fact, with UPS adding all kinds of surcharges it's less expensive now to use USPS for many smaller type packages (of course there is that anthrax thing!). Also, the USPS doesn't have variable rates like UPS, for ex. to mail a package from the east coast to west coast with the USPS is no more expensive than sending to a neighboring state. With UPS the further away, the higher the price.

3. Andy

Andy New Member

Both FedEx and UPS instituted fuel surcharges a while back when the price of diesel was really outrageous. Unfortunately they have been unwilling to rescind these surcharges now that the price of diesel has come down.

4. Patrick M

Patrick M Subgenius

Re: going postal

For Priority Mail over 5 lbs, cost does vary by location. For parcel post over 2 lbs, cost varies by location. For all bound printed matter, cost varies by location.

Media mail does not vary by location, nor does Express mail. First class (up to 13 oz) does not vary by location.

Confusing, eh?

5. Andy

Andy New Member

Priority Mail

I’ve often wondered about the special handling that priority mail is supposed to get. I once sent a priority mail letter from Montana to Santa Maria CA. A distance of about 1300 miles, it took 13 days to arrive.

6. lpcd2001

lpcd2001 New Member Thread Starter

It is indeed a small world. The seller, Jerry, is a nice guy and he is going after UPS for the claim. I believe UPS screwed up. Other sellers packaged the LPs much much flimsier than Jerry did. They used the free USPS envelopes rather than boxes like Jerry did. But these LPs survived over USPS!!! I think Telefunken is absolutely right. USPS does NOT have many heavy packages going through their system and hence less chance to wreck your LPs shipment.

7. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

lpcd2001,

I'm glad you've worked everything out with him. He's a very nice guy and I've brought several things from him recently (we meet in the city) and everything was as he described. I'm 99% sure it was UPS that damaged your record. Theoritcally, I could've purchased the 'Pet Sounds' album (like I did with other DCC titles) and picked it up from him and I'm sure it would have been in the same condition as the other stuff I brought. I really get the impression from him that he cares about his collection and he seemed very surprised and even upset (at UPS) that you received the damaged package. Anyway, I hope this all works out for you. I only posted my comments about this because I put two and two together when I met up with him last night and he was telling me about a UPS problem...

Todd

8. dwmann

dwmann Well-Known Member

This is it, in a nutshell. I have been buying DVDs and CDs from ebay sellers for some time. Initially, I received a lot of damaged items, even though a normal person might have thought the packaging was secure. My solution: Each time I win an item on ebay I contact the seller and explain that I am not too concerned with insuring the item because I have never had a package get lost, but many have been damaged. I explain that for the most part, I consider insurance a waste of money - unless you are talking very high $$$ items - because every mail carrier's policies are designed so that unless they actually lose the package, they are either not responsible because the shipper did not pack the items carefully enough or, if they ARE responsible for the damage, for instance, if they ran over it with a large truck, it is so much hassle to get compensated it usually isn't worth the hassle. They make it hard and frustrating to collect a claim by design. (If the seller plans to rip you off they aren't going to insure the item for you anyway.)

I ask the seller to package the goods with the assumption that the package will be severely mistreated and will NOT arrive in the condition in which it was mailed, and to please make the package almost bullet-proof. I request that they wrap each DVD or CD separately in thick bubble wrap, then wrap the individual items together in bubble wrapand place everything into a large STURDY box full of bubble wrap or styrofoam peanuts. I offer to pay extra for this service. I have never had anyone charge me much more than insurance would cost, and although some of the packages I have received have been fairly well mangled, I have not received a damaged item from any seller who followed my instructions. SOME online retailers are willing to package items more carefully if you call and request special packaging and are willing to pay for it. Others won't. And some use bulletproof packing methods anyway.

If I was ordering a rare LP I would ask the seller to place the LP in a large ziplock bag. wrap it in bubble wrap, then sandwich it between two pieces of WOOD, wrap THAT in bubble wrap, tape it all up, and THEN put it in a sturdy box full of peanuts. You can do all that for about $10. That might be overkill, but if the item is kind of irreplaceable, it is worth it.

Bottom line - it is YOUR OWN responsibility to make sure you get the item in good condition. That is unfair, but it is the reality of the situation. EDUCATE the seller. Most are willing to comply if you explain your concerns, and many won't charge anything at all for the extra effort.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.