"Stay" by Jackson Browne-pointless remake?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by flashdaily, Aug 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

I heard Browne's version first, so years later when I heard the original, I thought it was sung by Frankie Valli, who I'm not a fan of.

You have to hear both songs. If I just hear "Stay" on the radio, I feel like I'm being ripped off.

2. Pickoid

Pickoid Forum Resident

Well, I think the whole thing stinks to high heaven regardless of the context and is one of the most annoying things I have ever heard on rock radio. That is an instant station-flipper for me, and I have an otherwise mostly positive reaction to other Jackson Browne stuff. It is high time that I expressed my extreme distaste for this song. I feel better now. :p

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Wow! I never knew "The Load Out/Stay" is so polarizing 28 years later!

4. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

That's from the No Nukes live album (although, unfortunately, it's not featured in the film - I never understood that). It's actually Jackson (and Rosemary Butler) coming out and singing with Bruce and the E Street band. That got a ton of radio airplay - even on the Top 40 stations - when I was growing up. (That, and Springsteen's live "Santa Clause Is Coming to Town.")

[EDIT: Oops, beaten to the punch! That'll teach me to walk away from my computer in the middle of a post!]

5. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

A lot of people are annoyed by the premise of Running on Empty in general. The whole idea of someone who is a multi-millionaire whining about life on the road bothers a lot of people. A lot of people find it very self indulgent. But that is a shame, IMO, because premise aside, it’s a great record.

6. Another Side

And from what I can gather it was never a single.

7. Grant

That can't be it. Tons of artists sing about their life as stars on the road. Rick James made a career out of it! Heart sang tons of songs about their problems of being famous.

For me, I find the album a bit boring. The two songs in discussion are about the only real highlight for me.

8. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Geez - I kinda like the song. If you want to talk about a song that ruined a Jackson Browne album for me how about "Linda Paloma" off "The Pretender"

9. Another Side

But there’s a difference between talking about the road and whining about it. I think it also has to do with Jackson Browne’s style in general, which is not particularly upbeat anyway.

10. MartinGr

MartinGr Senior Member

How did the B-Side Load Out end?? Fade out?
    I can't imagine it without the "Stay" finale..

Martin

11. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

ON one level, this is a hilarious thread; on another, it's a perfect example of how inane forums can sometimes be.

From the start, the thread smelled of "baiting" . . . not to say there's some genuine distaste for the song from the originator, but more of "hey, let's get these old farts ganders up."

How tough is it to listen to the song and tell that there are 3 lead vocalists involved? Jackson Browne, Rosemary Butler and Lindley. Having seen him at least a few times during this period, it was a fun, campy familiar way to end a show, pay genuiine tribute to stage hands and enter some humor into the fray with Lindley's Maruice Williams send-up.

So, do we need to round up Rosemary Butler (assuming she's still around) for some testing? Yeah, sometimes voices alone can trick . . . but they toured this version for YEARS with her clearly singing that part.

Like I said, short of testing, take my word.

doug

12. Grant

I don't percieve it as whining.

I don't have a problem with them being multimillionares because we, the fans, made them wealthy. There is a dark side to being wealthy (I just can't figure out what it is :) ).

13. Andrew T.

Andrew T. Out of the Vein

I don't mind the song or the record it's from. In fact, I think it's a nice little album closer...though not the best song in the world I've heard.

14. Grant

Pffffffftttt! :)

Better than testing: let's try to find someone who was in on that recording.

15. Another Side

I don't perceive it as whining either, but some do.

16. Grant

I just don't see how. Actually, I don't understand why people have a problem with people who complain.

17. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Ya don't say...:D

Well, he read a few of your posts, do you blame him? :winkgrin:

:ed:

18. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Now, now, I'm never cranky about Grant! :winkgrin:

19. Grant

Did you forget to inject your insulin this morning?

20. Ed Bishop

Yeah, you'd think those allegations about his smacking around Daryl Hannah would be more controversial...who knew?

I don't take insulin, but thanks for asking! :wave:

21. TimM

TimM Senior Member

This post sums it up best. This is a great, educational forum, but it is also home to many threads that are just done seemingly to kill time. "What song makes you cry?", "What Song Makes you Fart?"
    Rosemary Butler sang with Jackson Browne on 3 different albums and for at least two different tours since I saw him twice when she was with him. Butler also sang a lot of backround vocals for the Doobie Bros., Warren Zevon, James Taylor and many other big names. The most recent credit I saw her get was on Neil Youngs "Living With War" disc. She has a very powerfull, distinct voice, and anyone who is at all familiar with Jackson Brownes work would recoginize her right away as one of the two extra voices on "Stay".

22. Ed Bishop

"Old Shep"? :D

Now there's a thread we could all, uh...sink our teeth into...:D

23. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Pointless-Yes!

24. John Cantrell

John Cantrell Active Member

Okay, I'll bite. Bobby Goldsboro - Honey :p

25. Ed Bishop