"Stay" by Jackson Browne-pointless remake?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by flashdaily, Aug 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

2. Wilkie

Wilkie New Member

There's no question that both Rosemary Butler and David Lindley sang on "Stay". I was at the concert when it was recorded and I can say for certain that both sang. Strange...just the other day I posted about this show in the Concerts you attended that were later issued on record or CD thread.

Yes...not only that but Rosemary was brought into the project to contract and conduct the 100 voice choir. Spoke to her last month at Linda Ronstadt's Universal show (she was in the orchestra pit). The 100 voice choir was a very last minute idea by Neil. Rosemary was calling people all night until 4AM to get singers to show up at Capitol Records recording studio at 10 AM and be prepared to stay for 12 hours. That day (with almost no sleep the night before) is how she spent her birthday.

As far as the original question...that's totally a matter of opinion. Mine is that "Stay" is just the way Jackson ended "The Load-Out". For me, it worked.

3. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Forum Resident

Strange coincidence? I actually bought this album on used vinyl today. As I came home from work I played it and of course listened to the "Load out/Stay" ending. Had some thoughts about who´s singing high vocals at the end.

Well, later on I went into SH Forum and what´s goin´on. This thread!!!!!

WOAHW!!

4. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Different strokes...

I can understand "The Load Out"/"Stay" in the context of a Jackson Browne concert. But it becoming a hit single is another matter. There are some of us "old farts" who feel a certain resentment when an inferior remake pushes a great original out of the consciousness of a generation or more of music lovers.

But I'm the wrong one to ask, as I'm not generally a fan of Browne or most of his L.A. contemporaries. Nearly all of their songs sound like whining to me (don't even get me started on Don Henley!).

5. mrtanner

mrtanner Active Member

Get over it. ;)

6. flashdaily

flashdaily Active Member Thread Starter

The only song that Jackson Browne did that spares him from being labeled pointless was "Lawyers In Love".

7. rpd

rpd Senior Member

By far my favorite JB LP...

8. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I always thought it sounded like "Casey" from Mr. Dressup. :laugh:

Attached Files:

9. kkchome

kkchome Forum Resident

I love this album and have no problems with this track.

10. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

I'll drink to that.:righton:

11. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

In my area, "Stay" was always played alone, and is in fact the best-known Jackson Browne song in Germany, possibly after or together with Doctor My Eyes. I find that version extremely boring compared to the classic original, but it might work as an encore to another song.

12. doubtingthomas

doubtingthomas Member

I used to go see Jackson Browne all the time. The Load Out/Stay was typical of R&B songs he would do either to close shows or as part of the encore. It actually had a really nice feel to it at the time. My favorite though was when he would do " Your Love keeps Lifting Me Higher" which I saw him do a couple of times including once with his and Linda Ronstadt's band together(double bill). Quite memorable actually!:righton:

13. jmrife

jmrife Wife. Kids. Grandkids. Dog. Music.

And to think that after 60+ posts of spew, I am the one who got gorted yesterday for suggesting something -- in jest -- about one of the posters. Wow!

BTW, I love this album, especially in 5.1.

14. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

There is a women singing in that song and a man singing falsetto. No doubt. You are wrong.:agree:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.