Stealers Wheel audiophile LPs coming out!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bhazen, Aug 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

If these two do well enough, I am definitely interested in adding Right or Wrong to the catalog!

Simon A, zobalob, bhazen and 3 others like this.
  2. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Mastered by Kevin Grey, pressed at RTI, and Stoughton jackets? ... you had me at 'hello' !

Simon A, IR Shane and ArpMoog like this.
  3. bigal00769

bigal00769 Forum Resident

This is good news to hear Shane. I will definitely be getting both of these albums. Looks like you have made great choices all the way down the line. I think I saw a couple of Everclear albums up for pre order also?

IR Shane likes this.
  4. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Thanks Shane! Bought Star on stereo 45 in 1973 and have loved Stealers Wheel ever since. I will definitely be getting your reissues. I have to take issue with your "Stealers Wheel made two great records..." comment. Right Or Wrong is fantastic IMO, has incredible sonics, has the incredibly beautiful minor hit "Benediction", the rockin' "Go As You Please" and the incredibly recorded and engineered "Found My Way To You" -- in fact, the entire album is great. Screw the reviews that said it was a weak last effort. IMO it's better than the first LP, on a par with the second, and perhaps the best recorded of all three. Check a UK press of it if you haven't already and you'll see what I mean. It's not just great music. "Benediction" is audiophile bliss. I sincerely hope you'll consider it for a reissue treatment.

IR Shane likes this.
  5. EdogawaRampo

That's what I want to hear! Yes!

IR Shane likes this.
  6. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Any chance of re-issuing 'Can I Get My Money Back?' ? IIRC, it was re-issued on DVD-A years ago [long OOP] and has never be re-issued on vinyl.

IR Shane likes this.
  7. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

Very nice. Sounds like a significant amount of value was added, particularly on the Ferguslie. Thanks for taking the time to do it right - it really should make a difference, not only to the legacy of the artist, but also to potential buyers.

IR Shane likes this.
  8. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

Yes, I think originals of these albums in good condition are not quite so easy to find in used stores as people are making out, and probably would cost in the range of the reissues when all was said and done. I think sometimes these reissues are a bit odd choices (for example, Boz Scaggs albums where you really can easily find original copies for like a dollar) but Stealers Wheel albums are in my opinion a good choice for careful reissue. Thanks.

IR Shane likes this.
  9. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

When I was a kid I thought the stuck in the middle song was Dylan.
    That still gets played on the radio.

10. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

Very true! Just got the TP for Sparkle and Fade approved, and So Much for the Afterglow was approved weeks ago.

bigal00769 likes this.
  11. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

Consider it considered! I didn't mean to imply it wasn't a terrific album, just that it seems to produce a more mixed reaction among fans. As i mentioned, if I do ok with these first two this would be a cinch.

12. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

I LOVE "Can I Have My Money Back," and of course "City to City." The former is another lost gem, a really tremendous album that most people don't even know exists. I can't elaborate on such discussions any further for obvious reasons, but I will say that I am "efforting" both titles and my sincerest hope is to bring them to the reissue market at the same achieve-quality level of the Stealers Wheel titles.

Simon A likes this.
  13. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

I am not certain how to post a photo here, but click HERE to see our cover proof compared to a UK original. Got as close as we could using today's presses.

zobalob and bhazen like this.
  14. EdogawaRampo

More.

I looked for years for original UK copies in NM condition and while you can find the albums, getting them in really nice shape is damn near impossible in my experience. I am really looking forward to the reissues.

US copies are a lot easier to get your hands on. You can even find a still sealed A&M now and again. But despite what some people have posted here, I don't think the US is nearly as good as the UK. Too much is missing...bass and clarity are simply superior on the UK copies.

It is a wonderful thing that these are being reissued.

bigal00769, bhazen and IR Shane like this.
  15. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB Thread Starter

Hmmm ... wonder who has a) the original artwork, and b) the paintings from which a) were generated?

16. bhazen

Around Seattle, I've never seen an LP copy of any Wheel LP in good shape (maybe that big basement place on Ballard Ave. has some, but they'd be Rice Crispies-sounding with beat covers.)

IR Shane likes this.
  17. EdogawaRampo

And if you're talking about the place I'm thinking of, the owner would give you a great deal -- say, $75 for one, or $225 for all three.

bhazen likes this.
  18. I just listed to my old AM copy of the Stuck Inside album. Great rich sound with amazing deep bass.

If the reissue sounds this good you'll be very happy.

Simon A likes this.
  19. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Please do! Right Or Wrong is my favourite Stealers Wheel album.

IR Shane likes this.
  20. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

No idea. The record label had no art work of any kind. Our cover will be better than the original- thicker stock, and film laminated. It will be beautiful and will stay that way!

Simon A and zobalob like this.
  21. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

Stealers 1 didn't suffer from obvious compression like Ferguslie, but I promise you that you've never heard the power and texture in the bass they put on the tape on any of the original LPs! I think we're miles beyond the original pressings. The UK Porky/Pecko is brighter, the mastering notes show that they pushed the midrange and treble and cut the bass to make it sound so. We got so much natural detail, we didn't need to push it at all. Some people in some systems might miss that brighter, pushed sound, but again the bass, imaging and vocal harmonies are so much richer and more pleasing on our new cut. I really think you'll be blown away!

Simon A, bigal00769 and bhazen like this.
  22. bhazen

Shane ... Any chance you might do a limited edition CD release of these? :hide::)

Anyroad, they'll always be "desert island albums" for me! Thrilled the vinyl fraternity is getting this opportunity.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    Dok, zobalob and supermd like this.
  23. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

You know, I've thought about this. What leaves me torn is what format? Straight up gold CD? Hybrid CD/SACD seems to offer the most versatility, but Pure Audio Blu-ray seems neat too other than leaving people with high-end CD players in the lurch. And there are far more people in that camp than you'd suspect. What would be of the most interest format-wise?

Simon A, Dok, Plan9 and 2 others like this.
  24. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

One of my all time favorite songs.

bhazen and chosenhandle like this.
  25. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Here is my take on it: I always rip my CDs to my laptop and put them on my iPod for on-the-go listening, plus I get to listen via my DAC laptop setup. My answer to your question is: anything with a CD layer would work best. Hybrid SACD would probably do the trick, as I think it would please most people

I also wanted to mention that I don't do vinyl, so I would only buy this if it was on CD, and buy it I would!

P.S. THANK YOU for taking the time to not only do this reissue well, but also to share on this forum. We REALLY appreciate it.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    wayneklein, Dok, bigal00769 and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.