Stealers Wheel audiophile LPs coming out!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bhazen, Aug 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

I actually like "Ferguslie Park" better in terms of the music content. Both are very nice albums.

bhazen and IR Shane like this.
  2. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Great mastering. Great pressing. Quality packaging.

I can't wait for the next Stealer's Wheel re-issue and have already pre-ordered the first two Joe Jackson albums that Intervention is re-issuing.

Joti Cover, IR Shane and Simon A like this.
  3. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Ferguslie Park vinyl now pushed back to mid January 2016. Amazon price hasn't budged.

4. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

Very interested in these but no way of getting them cheaply here in the UK :(

Still £52 on Amazon UK - somebody's pulling a fast one...

Maybe I'll ask What Records or Diverse if they're prepared to import them...

Edit: Diverse have them for £35 each! All is right in the world (well, ok, we still pay more than in the US, but £35 is better than £52!)

5. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

+1

Fantastic reissue. Great mastering and flawless vinyl.

vonwegen, Joti Cover and IR Shane like this.
  6. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

Yes, Ferguslie and the two Everclears got pushed back due to the jackets being re-done. I am sorry about that!

On Amazon, they have had 40 copies of Stealers 1 for two weeks and are giving me the worst kind of grief getting the titles processed and for sale. Because those previous bogus listings said Nov 20 as a release date, Amazon wanted proof from me that they are actually for sale. More proof than the fact that they have 40 of them that they have put stickers on and processed and received!

So, believe it or not yesterday I sent them links to the listings on Acoustic Sounds and Elusive Disc showing "shipping now." They really don't seem to believe or care that I'm the actual manufacturer!

So, tomorrow is Nov 20th, and I'm hoping they allow my listings to go live. I assure you I've created the listings and have everything ready. Amazon stinks to work with and I frankly wish I didn't have to work with them at all.

But since you and others need it I'm pushing through. I seriously hope Stealers 1 is for sale tomorrow, or soon thereafter.

vonwegen likes this.
  7. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

JP- see my other answers here below. The short of it is two big distributors, one of whom is in bed with Amazon, managed to make arrangements to buy my records at retail and have marked them up and sold them to Amazon. Amazon takes the attitude that they own my listings and won't let me put my titles up for pre-order, and is being agonizingly difficult about putting my own listings live even though they've had my records on hand since November 2nd.

I can't stress enough- please don't buy from Amazon unless you have to. They're awful partners and in collusion with big distributors. Buy from my online guys or your local retailers if you can.

And yes, I'm in the UK right now, and the exchange rate is still in your favor!

vonwegen, bigal00769 and JP Christian like this.
  8. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

Don't worry, I wouldn't dream of giving them my business - both titles now reserved with Diverse Vinyl!

vonwegen and Simon A like this.
  9. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

Great thread....Thanks for all the information Shane. I look forward to ordering the SACD's the minute they are announced.
    Here's hoping by then all 3 Stealer's Wheel's titles will be available...

art, IR Shane and Simon A like this.
  10. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

FWIW, they are not yet using my art and descriptions, but Stealers Wheel 1 is for sale on Amazon for the correct retail of $35! I'll keep working on the part. It looks to me like I'll always be stuck until street date or a bit after, but I should be able to get my titles posted from now on. Fingers crossed for you!

vonwegen and Simon A like this.
  11. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Hi I've just picked up the Stealers Wheel LP and I love it. Many thanks for issuing this. May I ask with regard to your forthcoming Joe Jackson releases, are you planning to issue "I'm The Man", "Look Sharp" and "Night & Day"?

Many thanks.

IR Shane likes this.
  12. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

Thank YOU! When I hear from enthusiasts who love this music like I do it's very very gratifying!

I have not just planned the Joe Jackson titles you mention, the audio has been cut since this summer, and the TPs are approved. It took a long time to get the clearance paperwork on these, but I now have I'm the Man and Look Sharp! fully cleared, the files to make the jackets are with Stoughton right now. Once the jackets press, RTI does their thing and presses the LPs. I expect to have these released by March. I like under-promise and over-deliver, which is tough!

Night and Day has been cleared but the paperwork has not been pushed through yet. Such is life!

The differences between the original UK pressings of Look Sharp! and I'm the Man and my releases are sonically even greater than with the Stealers Wheel titles, which is saying something. Sorry to boast here, but really the credit goes to Kevin Gray and his insanely transparent cutting system. No one has ever heard the full measure of bass weight and balance that is on these tapes! And yet we haven't lost any of the edge that's on these new-wave classics.

Night and Day I'm kind even more excited about. It's the only title I've done that has any meaningful reissue history, and again the degree to which Kevin's cut has surpassed what's been before is just astonishing and wonderful.

I can't wait to start a Joe Jackson reissue thread here!

13. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Amazon USA won't deliver this to UK where it is £52 on their website !

14. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Great - fantastic news, count me in for all three, and if they are as wonderful as you make them sound I think there is going to be some very happy people. Congratulations on your new venture, I wish you every success.

PS sounds like you might be doing some more Joe Jackson titles - "Joe Jackson's Jumpin' Jive" and "Body and Soul" would be wonderful!

15. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

I think this is related to the ongoing Amazon nonsense of some distributor who made arrangements to sell these LPs on Amazon at well above the US retail of $35. I only have US rights, so I can't push for anything to happen beyond posting on Amazon US.

That being said, another poster here from the UK I think says an outfit called Diverse Vinyl has Stealers at a good price.

vonwegen likes this.
  16. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

You've been conned!
    Audiophile titles should be available worldwide at comparable prices.
    I know this is not happening though.

IR Shane likes this.
  17. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

Also be aware that as a Third Party seller I cannot post my items for pre-order on Amazon, I can only offer my titles for sale once I have them. All of them will go up on Amazon on street date. Again, my preference is for you all to buy from one of my US online guys, but acknowledge that Amazon means more people get access to my records, so I live with how they behave.

18. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Yep Diverse is where I got it from. £30ish I think.

IR Shane likes this.
  19. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

True enough. And if you've read this thread, a big distributor has bought my records at retail and marked them up an Amazon. Amazon controls all listings for music, movies and other media so they don't let me alter the listings at all as of now even though I'm the manufacturer. On top of that, because third party sellers can't post items for pre-order I can't even post them at the right price until i get the records and ship them.

I am hopeful over time that this distributor and Amazon realize I will always post my titles at the real retail price that they'll lose interest in posting items that people won't and shouldn't pay over retail for.

vonwegen likes this.
  20. Classicrock

They are out of stock and show 3 weeks delivery. Looked there first. The self titled is £34 and FP is £36 (when they get more).

21. Classicrock

No as I haven't purchased and won't at that price.

22. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Yeah, I have the debut and Right or Wrong, but have never seen Ferguslie.

IR Shane likes this.
  23. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

When I received my latest "Acoustic Sounds" catalog the other day and I got to page 54 and saw that Joe Jackson's "Night & Day" was coming on vinyl, mastered by Kevin, I almost wet myself. I want this NOW!!!

IR Shane likes this.
  24. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

Shane - the Stealers Wheel is on its way to me now (from Music Direct). I am (resorting to 1980s slang here) TOTALLY STOKED that you are doing the Joe Jackson titles. I love his work and I'm the Man and Look Sharp! are great albums, but have always sounded very bright and very hard to me. I have about three copies of each (and Japanese pressings of each too), but they all sound about the same. I can't wait to hear your re-issues.

IR Shane likes this.
  25. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

On Look Sharp! and I'm the Man, there was bass on the tapes, and it balances out the sonics beautifully on our pressing. As I said, we've lost none of the top-end energy that's so crucial but a balanced bottom end makes such an immeasurable difference!

Night and Day was much better balanced tonally, but what you hear with the transparency of Kevin's cutting system will still leave you amazed. This is a very lively sounding record and I quite simply would not have made the record if I didn't know it would exceed the sonics of all the previous issues, all of which I have, including the early Mo-Fi (I personally think the original US pressing is the best sounding prior version).

I also want to add a couple other notes even though we are now bordering on starting a JJ thread!

I'm the Man had an insert with lyrics and pictures, and we're reproducing it as a gorgeous gatefold, printed on heavy stock and film laminated. It will be STUNNING!

Look Sharp! had no insert, so it's a single jacket but we're emulating the rough "debossed" texture that was used only on the first UK pressing. The black and white areas will have this texture and then Joe's sharp! white shoes will be glossy and if I'm not mistaken spot varnished. I'm very pleased!

I'll post pictures of the art work on my website and/or Facebook page and post a link to it this weekend.

Preston, vonwegen, zongo and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.