Stealers Wheel audiophile LPs coming out!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bhazen, Aug 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

As I've posted elsewhere, some distributor bought copies at retail and has them on Amazon for way over retail. I recommend my Internet retailers like Acoustic Sounds and Elusive Disc as the best option, but I have successfully posted Stealers 1 on Amazon at the correct US price for the people who need it. The other releases will follow! You have to click to see more buying options, but here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/s?marketplace...POWPF00&merchant=A3VMAZGPOWPF00&redirect=true

I hope over time they tire of competing with me at higher prices and stop this practice.

Sadcafe and Joti Cover like this.
  2. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

You all have been so supportive and wonderful to interact with, I wanted to let you know first: Ferguslie Park and the two Everclears are pressed and assembled and will ship to retailers and to me this week!

Amazon takes a little longer as they have to ship to me first, and then to Amazon. But Acoustic Sounds and Elusive Disc will definitely have their copies in two weeks at the most, and hopefully much sooner!

3. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

Wonderful news, Shane! Also, it was great to read Greg Cahill's review of Intervention's Ferguslie Park in The Absolute Sound. He enjoyed it and offered a few interesting angles. Congrats again!
    Getting my copy from Soundstage Direct on this round ...sometimes they take a bit longer to get a new release in stock but their packaging is second to none.

IR Shane likes this.
  4. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

Super cool info on Soundstage Direct! I seriously wish everyone would use my online retailers for now, and I hope to get more push into independent stores. I'm working on it!

Joti Cover likes this.
  5. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Ummm, Amazon.ca shows Stealer's Wheel for CDN$ 69.04, plus tax. Stealers indeed.

6. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

Please read elsewhere on this thread. It is on Amazon US for $35 from me, and from the other US-based online retailers. There are a couple of unscrupulous distributors buying at retail and marking them up exorbitantly and posting on Amazon. Don't buy from them!

7. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Thanks! I will certainly shop around.

8. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

This has been very frustrating for me. I can only hope over time that they tire of competing against me and my authorized retailers at their higher costs and figure out that it's not worth it!

9. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Just got the Stealers Wheel today. Impressive packaging and sounds great! I'll definitely be checking out more Intervention releases soon.

IR Shane likes this.
  10. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

11. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Please keep it up. This is just the sort of thing we need a lot more of. Hmmm. Sky's the limit. Buckingham-Nicks? Chris Isaac? Nitty Gritty Dirt Band or Ozark Mountain Daredevils have surprisingly good sound quality too. Have fun and good luck. I'm in your corner, and you are in my budget.

Joti Cover and IR Shane like this.
  12. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

13. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

Shane - off topic, but I was thinking about some other LPs you should re-issue that meet the criteria you described in this forum and in the article in Stereophile:
    Aimee Mann - I'm With Stupid
    Remy Zero - The Golden Hum
    Cracker - several different albums (love The Golden Age, but I have the Classic pressing of this, which sounds excellent)

That's all for now: I'm sure I'll have more in the future. :)

14. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

For what it's worth (certainly not this amount) the Stealers Wheel album is now posting at $76.81 on Amazon.ca. This is beyond stupid.

Revolver likes this.
  15. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I got all the Intervention releases currently available for $35 each from domestic sites like Elusive Disc and Acoustic Sounds so look around. That's not exactly cheap either but once you see one of these releases you'll get it. The covers are thick stock, mostly gatefolds with beautiful renderings of the cover art and the vinyl is a quality heavy pressing that's clean and quiet.

You might get these titles for $24.99, even less, if they were pressed at GZ on inferior vinyl in a photo copied cover from questionable sources. We all complain endlessly about that type of release though. This is how it should be done and it's not going to be possible at bargain basement prices I'm afraid. AP or MoFi would charge more for a similar release I'm sure.

16. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I'm happy for you, but don't use this as cheap shot at GZ as they are nowhere near as bad as their reputation on here - I have over 70 GZ LPs and I've never had a dud.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
    stem and bibijeebies like this.
  17. bibijeebies

Why you feel the need to post this I do not understand. Good that you enjoy your albums, but please remember that for people outside the US these albums are too expensive currently.
    GZ has problems with 'horning' and smudges, their cardboard inners are too tight too, but their vinyl is not inferior.

18. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I'm sorry but their product IS inferior. You as much as said so in your own post! There's no nice way to say it. Compared to a pressing from QRP, Optimal, or RTI. Surface noise is higher, the Vinyl is dirty and usually scuffed and the packaging is inferior. The recent Black Crowes reissues are a case in point. SYMM and SHMC GZ. Three Snakes and Amorica QRP and much better. No reason they can't do better at GZ, and they should. Press better vinyl and stop stuffing it in paper sleeves. I guess that's why I had the need to post that.

19. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

I fully support what you're doing, and, although I don't much care for Everclear, highly encourage you to keep on issuing definitive versions of 90s albums. The 90s are an oft-ignored timeframe for audiophile releases of this sort. Thank you.

IR Shane likes this.
  20. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The albums are £34 from Diverse vinyl in the UK but they are out of stock of the first one at present. This is similar price to other US Audiophile labels now.

The criticism of GZ is unjustified. I agree their product doesn't always look as good as some other plants but I have rarely had pressings with significant audible faults. The cheap paper inners are the choice of the labels using the plant - often Universal Music. GZ will provide better if labels pay the extra small amount. They are certainly better than Rainbo and United in the USA. Most GZ titles aren't premium priced product.

JP Christian likes this.
  21. bibijeebies

Focus on the US companies first please.
    First go to United/Rainbo as they are far worse in my opinion.

JP Christian and sonofjim like this.
  22. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Absolutely right! I agree. If I see something was pressed by Rainbo, United, and yes GZ, it gives me serious pause. I have no national bias here. Good is good. Any of these plants can turn it around and, after some time, the reputation will follow. Till then, if I'm buying Black Crowes I'll make sure I get the QRP pressings.

23. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

I did what I consider to be a very clean transfer "Everyone's Agreed" to CD.

Jamey K likes this.
  24. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I remember this being asked a few months ago but haven't heard anything since: will this album be released on CD as well?

25. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

This is what the majority of my GZ vinyl pressings look like - this was £6.99 (about $11) brand new in a sale and arrived today. Notice when taken straight from the sleeve for the first time, how dreadfully inferior vinyl has been used is and how it is covered in smudges and dust :targettiphat:

I appreciate that with the likes of ORG, MOFI, AP and Intervention, you're getting a premium product and I'm more than happy to pay more for them, but folk deliberately and unfairly bad-mouthing GZ and constantly claiming their pressings are a pile of C**P is inaccurate and getting tiresome.

Anyway, I'll get back on topic - as soon as Diverse have the second Stealer's LP in stock, I will be looking forward to receiving them both.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.